Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    People asking who is it when someone knocks at the front door. I can't recall a time when I've ever done that.
    I often do that as a joke when I know someone I know is coming over.
    Watching television is not an activity.

People asking who is it when someone knocks at the front door. I can't recall a time when I've ever done that.
    I have a little radio with a tape of the song Who can it be now by Men at Work that I play when someone is at the door. Well I do that for friends and family and it drives them nuts that I wont open the door for like a minute while I sing that song.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Where do you live? Jerry keeping his door unlocked in Manhattan so Kramer could just stroll in or Mary Tyler Moore doing the same thing? No, that's thing that that bugs me.

When movies explain all the watermelons, as if they matter. Some writers and directors need to chill out and just stop with that. Hardly anything really needs to be explained, I'm especially talking about fantasy, scifi or hero movies. And if you do explain something, show rather than tell, make it mainly for art's sake rather than story's sake and make it quick. Focus on character and plot, not explanations.

Watermelon reference is from Buckaroo Banzai, where the movie parodies what I am talking about (they never got around to explaining the watermelon):

Last edited by Scott Taylor; 11-04-2021 at 02:32 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Exposition phone dialogue. When you can't hear the person on the other end of the call, so the one you can hear repeats everything that they're being "told" so you understand what they're talking about.

Wasted drinks. Those scenes where someone arrives and they're offered something to drink, they accept it, but the scene ends or moves on so quickly that they don't actually get a chance to drink it and just leave it there.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Any movie or TV show that takes place in San Francisco, any time people are sitting in a restaurant, there's always a view of the Golden Gate Bridge. And any movie or TV show that takes place in Paris, every hotel room has a view of the Eiffel Tower.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    When movies explain all the watermelons, as if they matter. Some writers and directors need to chill out and just stop with that. Hardly anything really needs to be explained, I'm especially talking about fantasy, scifi or hero movies. And if you do explain something, show rather than tell, make it mainly for art's sake rather than story's sake and make it quick. Focus on character and plot, not explanations.

Watermelon reference is from Buckaroo Banzai, where the movie parodies what I am talking about (they never got around to explaining the watermelon):

To me what is funny about this complaint, I hear people complain about when every little detail doesn't get explained. So really, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I often do that as a joke when I know someone I know is coming over.
    That’s a reasonable thing to do though.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    To me what is funny about this complaint, I hear people complain about when every little detail doesn't get explained. So really, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Mainly what I am talking about is frustration with explanations when I've already accepted something without one and moved on. Explanations can be fine depending on context.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I don't know if this is still a trend these days, but it wasn't too long ago where it seemed like every villain or bad person in a TV show or movie who got arrested actually WANTED to get arrested as part of a grand plan.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I don't know if this is still a trend these days, but it wasn't too long ago where it seemed like every villain or bad person in a TV show or movie who got arrested actually WANTED to get arrested as part of a grand plan.
    Still a thing.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Incredible Member

Movie or tv person say: how you get this number? Does it really matter. Just talk to him.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    Movie or tv person say: how you get this number? Does it really matter. Just talk to him.
    For what it's worth, in my real life job I sometimes have to call other businesses and occasionally someone will ask how I got their number. And not in a who referred you to me way, but in a I don't like getting calls way.

In my mind I'm thinking, "This is a major business with a website on the internet...! What do you mean how did I get your number?!"

Extraordinary Member

Whenever a dude or a group of dudes write a bad romance or even just a badly written interaction between a guy and a girl, but try to hide behind “appealing to the female demographic” as a shield for it.

Something like the entirety of Rey and Kylo’s interactions after TFA is here: Rian Johnson started it by writing what was blatantly an introverted dude’s fantasy of a Manic Pixie Dream Girl onto Rey in TLJ, and then LFL made Abrams make it continue in TROS. Or how the DC CW shows often have bad romances.

I’m not denying he most vocal fans of those types of relationships are usually women… but sometimes it’s blatantly clear they’re a vocal minority (TLJ and TROS, where women actually dropped out almost as much as black fans) but it’s also often just a cover for lazy stupidity without at least a rational as emerging from a genuine female perspective.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Exposition phone dialogue. When you can't hear the person on the other end of the call, so the one you can hear repeats everything that they're being "told" so you understand what they're talking about.

Wasted drinks. Those scenes where someone arrives and they're offered something to drink, they accept it, but the scene ends or moves on so quickly that they don't actually get a chance to drink it and just leave it there.
    Same with food. I hate how they waste the food. Or they eat three fries and put the plate to the side to talk any further.