Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    Sad sack loser are always janitors. .
    This has nothing to do with anything, but the comic strip Frazz is about a janitor. He is really smart, made a lot of money selling a song, and works as a janitor because he likes spending time with kids.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Torches.

No, not the Chris Evans or Michael B. Jordan kind.

The kind that survivors in the wild light up to help them see. The torches seem to last forever in all kinds of weather and conditions. Yet all they have is a stick. Maybe a stick with a piece of cloth wrapped around it. Even if the survivors could soak it in gasoline or some other substance, that end wouldn't stay lit for long unless they attended to it. Which they rarely do.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    Part of the problem is that characters can't function more intelligently than the writers. And the writers being at mere mid wit level can't construct events so the characters logically would chose to do those plot required things.
    True. It's just frustrating to consistently see...Character A go off on their own to investigate something dangerous, for no reason; Character B trust someone who just tried to kill them, for no reason; Character C let the murderer go, for no reason...other than because the plot demands it. I should be used to it -- and I am. But it's still annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Torches.

The kind that survivors in the wild light up to help them see. The torches seem to last forever in all kinds of weather and conditions. Yet all they have is a stick. Maybe a stick with a piece of cloth wrapped around it. Even if the survivors could soak it in gasoline or some other substance, that end wouldn't stay lit for long unless they attended to it. Which they rarely do.
    So true. Mideaval castles had better energy efficiency than LED bulbs. Torches are just lit on the walls and stay lit forever.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Tv shows that waste time just to run out the clock by doing things like showing the same boring scene multiple times. Like we get it…they’re having an incredibly boring date. Why do we need to keep being reminded of how dreadfully boring the date is?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Tv shows that waste time just to run out the clock by doing things like showing the same boring scene multiple times. Like we get it…they’re having an incredibly boring date. Why do we need to keep being reminded of how dreadfully boring the date is?
    Or showing me stuff that I simply don't care about. Bleach did this one. Entire episodes dedicated to people we had no interest in.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Torches.

I'll add to that. When lit torches are held in front to see. No; the character is now blind to everything but the bright fire two feet in front of their face. They need to be held high above the head so the eyes are shaded or it's worse than no torch at all. Of course they do the former instead so we can see the actors faces, but it still bugs me.

This reminds me of Astronauts with lights inside their helmets. It's so you can see their faces, but it will make it harder to see out.

Last edited by Kirby101; 01-02-2022 at 08:34 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Ok this has been bugging me.

In Family Guy Peter's ancestor is Nate Griffin a Slave own by the Pweterschimt Family. We find this out in Peter Griffin Husband, Father...Brother?

Then in the Griffin Family History Episode we find out that Nate had sex with Pweterschimt's daughter and had kids. So the famliy line kept going and soon Pter was born. Peter then meets and falls in love with Lois. So wouldnt Peter and Lois have already been family before they were married?
    The obvious answer is that it's a cartoon about a talking dog and baby but, TPH, MacFarlane (or a few of his writers) does seem to have a bit of an incest fetish if you watch enough of his shows.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Dude really? How does someone go that long with out even hearing a Star Wars Refence some where?
    It was only about five years ago that my mom figured out that Star Wars and Star Trek weren't the same thing. And my dad was a huge Trekkie.

It bugs me when characters are cast as blood relatives but look (and typically sound/act) nothing alike. Ray and Debra having those three blonde-haired, blue eyed, kids on "Everybody Loves Raymond" was a particularly egregious example of that.

I hate it when talk show hosts always tell the celebrities "I loved your new movie/song/book/whatever you made."

I'm sure it's the truth in some instances, but I've never heard a talk show host tell a celebrity that their product was just okay, or bad. A lot of times the compliments don't seem genuine and sound like they are just being said to make the celebrities feel good.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    It bugs me when characters are cast as blood relatives but look (and typically sound/act) nothing alike. Ray and Debra having those three blonde-haired, blue eyed, kids on "Everybody Loves Raymond" was a particularly egregious example of that.
    Related to this, I hate when the characters clearly don't look alike but people watching the show or movie will insist that the actors who play the characters do look alike, or that the characters do look alike. Recently I was reading some YouTube comments where people were saying Harry Osborn (James Franco) and Norman Osborn (Willem Dafoe) looked alike in the Raimi Spider-Man films.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

I thought they looked like father and son.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Related to this, I hate when the characters clearly don't look alike but people watching the show or movie will insist that the actors who play the characters do look alike, or that the characters do look alike. Recently I was reading some YouTube comments where people were saying Harry Osborn (James Franco) and Norman Osborn (Willem Dafoe) looked alike in the Raimi Spider-Man films.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I thought they looked like father and son.

They looked similar enough to me.