Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    My grandpa's last place just about needed that, a place we only sold a few months back. The microwave was in a shed, because the wiring in the kitchen couldn't support that kind of charge and a fridge and lights as well. And, that was in town in fancyschmancy Southern California.

Place I rented in Northern Michigan ten years ago had the washer in the basement, but the dryer in a separate storm cellar under an adjacent property for similar reasons, and that was a proper big (for the area) city.

So it's not that unusual.

The door thing bugs me, too, though. Especially odd is if they just walk out and leave like that, door open, no stopping to get keys, they just go out.
    Yeah, like who does that? Maybe it's because our Mom always fussed if we walked out the door to go out without closing it.

Some of those situations reminds me of the old Green Acres TV show where Lisa and Oliver had to make sure none of their applicances added up to more than a 9 or a fuse would blow. It's kind of odd that it could still be a problem but maybe those areas never updated the infrastructure in some spots. I know in some rural areas near us they've been told that it will be a long time before they get cable. They won't run lines down a road with only a couple of houses unless more homes get built. Maybe that is the case in your examples

I hate when someone who's supposed to be a highly trained operative doesn't hold their gun properly or uses a weapon that's clearly to big for them so it's awkward. I also dislike unnecessary flips in fight scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    People going from arguing intensely to screwing each other's brains out in a manner of seconds.
    This actually happens in real life sometimes, though.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Stories where it seems like evil has the stronghold in the supernatural. An example is the Nightmare On Elm Street or Friday The 13th franchises. Who is running the after life that two vile murderers (one of whom is a child molester) can keep coming back again and again but their victims must remain dead?
    Well, a scary entity is running that afterlife. That's why it's a horror movie.

But, Friday 13th does, especially in the middle movies, indulge in some pure-child-is-protected stuff. Michael Meyers kills everybody. Freddy hurts and kills everybody. Jason, in general, kills teenagers who are inebriated or horny (so, he kills teenagers, basically) as a sort of direct judgment thing for being left to die by horny, inebriated teenagers. His other kills tend to be "they got in his way."

But, if the deck isn't stacked, it wouldn't be as scary. It'd be fair.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Boisterously Confused

Pistols with the range and accuracy of sniper rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

Especially when the one holding the gun is moving. Like running diagonally towards or away from the target. I suppose this is a different gripe, but close enough to your point to go hand in hand with it.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

How about when the baddie holds someone hostage maybe 4 feet away from the hero who is aiming a gun at the baddie. Then he gives up his gun. Just shoot him in the head! That is not a hard shot from that distance for anyone proficient with a hand gun. (Jim Gordan did it in last weeks Gotham). What do they think will happen when they drop the gun, both the hostage and them will be killed dummy.

If you can cluster your shots at 25 yards ( normal police training) you can hit someone 4 feet away.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 11-19-2015 at 10:52 AM.

Stories where it seems like evil has the stronghold in the supernatural. An example is the Nightmare On Elm Street or Friday The 13th franchises. Who is running the after life that two vile murderers (one of whom is a child molester) can keep coming back again and again but their victims must remain dead?

Enemies getting distracted by characters showing some skin in a tantalizing manner.

People going from arguing intensely to screwing each other's brains out in a manner of seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Well, a scary entity is running that afterlife. That's why it's a horror movie.

But, Friday 13th does, especially in the middle movies, indulge in some pure-child-is-protected stuff. Michael Meyers kills everybody. Freddy hurts and kills everybody. Jason, in general, kills teenagers who are inebriated or horny (so, he kills teenagers, basically) as a sort of direct judgment thing for being left to die by horny, inebriated teenagers. His other kills tend to be "they got in his way."

But, if the deck isn't stacked, it wouldn't be as scary. It'd be fair.
    I see both sides to this.

Dream Warriors was a bit entertaining and a different spin on on the Elm Street take. And one of the FT13 movies had a girl who was a blossoming TK user. At the risk of turning this into a Rumbles (heehee), I like these twists. The unstoppable monsters need a challenge from a fellow freak once in a while. Keeps them on their toes. LOL

I can see Michael Myers wandering into Odessa, Texas and starts killing teens. "Why the hell doesn't that blonde cheerleader just freakin' die already? Sheeeeesh!" MM googles "Claire Bennett" on his smart phone. "Hmmm. Neat!"

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    How about when the baddie holds someone hostage maybe 4 feet away from the hero who is aiming a gun at the baddie. Then he gives up his gun. Just shoot him in the head! That is not a hard shot from that distant for anyone proficient with a hand gun. (Jim Gordan did it in last weeks Gotham). What do they think will happen when they drop the gun, both the hostage and them will be killed dummy.

If you can cluster your shots at 25 yards ( normal police training) you can hit someone 4 feet away.
    Yep. One of the best examples for this thread.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Especially when the one holding the gun is moving. Like running diagonally towards or away from the target. I suppose this is a different gripe, but close enough to your point to go hand in hand with it.
    From about You Only Live Twice on, the Bond Franchise has been an especially egregious perpetrator of the "magic pistol" offenses.

Cars that make tire-squealing noises on dirt/gravel roads.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liven View Post
    Ramps and explosions.

Cars do not flip over when they hit other cars. They stop. And they rarely blow up.
    Yeah. I think I've even seen scores of TV cars blow up as they're coasting down a cliff, before any damage is done to them.

And what's with break-apart chairs?! Which reminds me of The Young Ones, when the break-apart chair gets broken before it was supposed to be used on Rik. Poor Rik had to get hit by the "real" chair.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    And what's with break-apart chairs?! Which reminds me of The Young Ones, when the break-apart chair gets broken before it was supposed to be used on Rik. Poor Rik had to get hit by the "real" chair.
    My favorite moment in all the X-Files is when Mulder smashes a chair to get a vampire-killing stake and while he faces the mess he just made of the break-apart chair, a hand mysteriously appears from nowhere and hands him the stake.

It's just someone on set, handing him a prop, natch, but captured on camera it's now a part of the scene that's a bigger, weirder mystery than anything meant to be in the episode.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Liven View Post
    Ramps and explosions.

Cars do not flip over when they hit other cars. They stop. And they rarely blow up.

Along with sedans with automatic transmissions sounding like manual, gear shifting racing cars during chases.

Here's another one that gets me.
    Cops, who all seem to be in great shape, go on a long foot chase with a junkie criminal. Who despite being a drug addict, have the stamina of a marathon runner and are as fast as Usain Bolt.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Here's another one that gets me.
    Cops, who all seem to be in great shape, go on a long foot chase with a junkie criminal. Who despite being a drug addict, have the stamina of a marathon runner and are as fast as Usain Bolt.
    I don't know about that because Richard Pryor was high and ran pretty fast but then he had set himself on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I don't know about that because Richard Pryor was high and ran pretty fast but then he had set himself on fire
    Good one