Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    The parent (usually the mother) making a HUGE breakfast big enough to feed a small country...and the people she makes it for are ALWAYS running late, so they grab a piece of bacon maybe a sip of juice and leave.
    The huge buffet style breakfast that nobody eats is such a weirdly specific thing that is in so many movies and tv shows. I don't understand why it is used so frequently.

Extraordinary Member

I hate it when kids are shown to be embarrassed or mortified by their parents.

I may be in the minority but I never felt this way. Yes, we had different tastes in music and other areas, but I never looked down on them. And my parents were so nice to my friends when they would come over to our house.

In other words, I respected and appreciated my parents.

BANNED

Oh no, I totally remember being embarrassed by my parents and friends feeling the same about theirs. I'm no psychologist but I imagine it has something to do with establishing your own persona and detaching from the family dynamic. Not because they deserve to be shamed or ostracized, it's just biology/psychology. Nothing personal, in other words, and I know many parents (especially of a younger generation) who enjoy it and lean into it. My sister loves calling my nephew Jacey-poo (names Jace, that's a childhood nickname) and telling both my nephews she loves them and hugging them whenever friends are around (and most other times, but especially when it's embarrassing).

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Oh no, I totally remember being embarrassed by my parents and friends feeling the same about theirs. I'm no psychologist but I imagine it has something to do with establishing your own persona and detaching from the family dynamic. Not because they deserve to be shamed or ostracized, it's just biology/psychology. Nothing personal, in other words, and I know many parents (especially of a younger generation) who enjoy it and lean into it. My sister loves calling my nephew Jacey-poo (names Jace, that's a childhood nickname) and telling both my nephews she loves them and hugging them whenever friends are around (and most other times, but especially when it's embarrassing).
    Now that is what I consider mean. Adults should behave like adults.

BANNED

It's meant in fun, and while the kids are embarrassed a bit they know what's going on (they are teenagers) and roll with it.

Incredible Member

When people carjack a car. The doors are always unlock. Doors have had automatic locks since the 1980’s.

Ultimate Member

Well unless I lock my car intentionally the doors would remain unlocked and my car is younger than the 80's...

Major characters have obvious deviations from correct historical dress, but the smaller part players don't.

When someone says, I think it's the right thing to do to hear your side of the story, so I came to you first. Then the other person flips out and gets upset that they were being investigated in the first place, even though obviously there was a trail to follow.
    This feels really specific, but I would bet that I've seen this more times than I realize.

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    Major characters have obvious deviations from correct historical dress, but the smaller part players don't.
    Conversely, it used to drive me crazy when I'd watch "Happy Days" and every guy but Richie and Fonzie had 70s haircuts.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    When people carjack a car. The doors are always unlock. Doors have had automatic locks since the 1980’s.
    Yeah that's not a thing. Sure, I habitually click the lock button on my remote like three times upon leaving my car there are others that don't.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Hidden aliens as the major plot conspiracy. It is appearing in too many shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Conversely, it used to drive me crazy when I'd watch "Happy Days" and every guy but Richie and Fonzie had 70s haircuts.
    True, and in Hogan's Heroes half the civilian clothes are clearly from the sixties. Actually I think I saw plenty of flairs in Happy Days

Ultimate Member

Every time that the police put a protection detail on someone in the hospital there's only like 1 guy and he always falls for the dumbest ruses or just gets shot in two seconds flat like he's not even there...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    The later seasons of The Waltons were sometimes difficult to watch. But especially seeing Ben and Jim Bob serving in the military during World War II with 70s feathered hair cuts!!!!!!