Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Most every other civilization usually wears bathrobes or some pseudo-Roman togas. The authoritarian ones do wear pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    RoboCop, Aliens, Battlestar Galactica (remake) off the top of my head. Probably more, but it still doesn't outnumber "its the future, so of COURSE its dystopian!" trope.
    It was also in Enterprise, where Captain Archer and T'Pol shared a decontamination shower. Somehow I didn't mind, imagine that. Gotta get that radioactivity off!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

After a couple does the animal dance all night long or does a quickie in the middle of the day . Gets dress, with out cleaning up first.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Movies set in a non-English speaking country where inexplicably the characters speak English. It doesn't ruin the movie for me, but it does take me out of even great movies like The Pianist and The Last Duel.

Or a man and a woman just had sex, no one else is there, but when the woman gets out of bed, she feels a need to wrap the bedsheet around her naked body. I mean, I know why they do that for a tv show on broadcast television or basic cable, or a movie that they want to have a PG rating, but it just seems ridiculous in story.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    It was also in Enterprise, where Captain Archer and T'Pol shared a decontamination shower. Somehow I didn't mind, imagine that. Gotta get that radioactivity off!
    It wasnt Captain Archer and Tpol. it was Tripp and Tpol.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member

Every time someone in a movie or tv show. Confronted with an unbelievable situation. Instead of listening to the one guy who can explain it all. They freak out. Instead of remembering to stay calm.

Some character is getting the snot beat out of them. Someone (their loved one, a friend, etc) screams their name from the distance as they're watching them getting curb stomped. I know its happened in all of the Bayformers movies, but I'm starting to see it in other movies/shows, too. And I'm not talking about a quickie "Don't give up keep fighting" pep talk, they JUST scream their name.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Movies set in a non-English speaking country where inexplicably the characters speak English. It doesn't ruin the movie for me, but it does take me out of even great movies like The Pianist and The Last Duel.
    On a related note, people speaking half English and half an another language. You see that a lot with Latino characters. Like" hello senor, como estas today?" or some ridiculous **** like that.

Who the hell does that lol?

Or characters using the same freaking word over and over again. Like "yallah" if it's an Arab.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 05-29-2022 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    On a related note, people speaking half English and half an another language. You see that a lot with Latino characters. Like" hello senor, como estas today?" or some ridiculous **** like that.

Who the hell does that lol?

Or characters using the same freaking word over and over again. Like "yallah" if it's an Arab.
    On that note, I found this hilarious. I was watching a show where the guy was doing exactly that and it had subtitles at the bottom for the Spanish part. Subtitles are all in English. The guy says "Adios" and the subtitle said "Adios" and failed to translate the goodbye aspect.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

BANNED

There's a bit of a trope that latino folk in TV/movies do that, in order to get the authenticity but also not leave their non-Spanish speaking audience in the dark. I remember the wrestler Eddie Guerrero mocked this during his run in the WWE.

This reminds me of a trope that's used so often they've finally made a meme of it: You're in Mexico, so of course everything has a yellow/brown tint. A Google search says its used to get across the mood or the feeling that Mexico is hot, dry, claustrophobic. Hmm...ok, but in specifically Mexico City, it tends to be temperate to COLD, yet the same filter is applied in movies that involve Mexico City (Spectre).

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    This reminds me of a trope that's used so often they've finally made a meme of it: You're in Mexico, so of course everything has a yellow/brown tint. A Google search says its used to get across the mood or the feeling that Mexico is hot, dry, claustrophobic. Hmm...ok, but in specifically Mexico City, it tends to be temperate to COLD, yet the same filter is applied in movies that involve Mexico City (Spectre).
    Yeah, Mexico, a whole country defined by a few towns on the Texas boarder. Forget Baja, or Oaxaca or the Yucatan.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Every cop show has a noble character who fights the DA SYSTEM. Boring. Private eyes who bring down major conspiracies or crime lords. When has that ever happened?

Every hero has a super hacker as a buddy who can crack any system.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

kid/adolescent heroes like the goonies or home alone