Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    kid/adolescent heroes like the goonies or home alone
    Are you saying you don't like kids to be heroes at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Every hero has a super hacker as a buddy who can crack any system.
    That was such a trend during the 00's.

Lot of lazy writing happened thanks to that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    kid/adolescent heroes like the goonies or home alone
    I will actually expand this to movies like Thunderbirds, where they could have had adult heroes, but they instead decided to go the kid route because all of the adults were in trouble.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Are you saying you don't like kids to be heroes at all?
    kind of, i would say specifically the blowout 'kids-conquering/outwitting-various-adult-antagonist' type movies
    but also yes in general i just dont like child heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I will actually expand this to movies like Thunderbirds, where they could have had adult heroes, but they instead decided to go the kid route because all of the adults were in trouble.
    yes that makes it worse

BANNED

Feel like I've made this complaint before, but I'm old and will repeat: I hate when a show is selling me on Sci-Fi and then gives me interpersonal drama almost exclusively with a dash of sci-fi as if it were set-dressing. I get it, if you don't care about the characters the background/storyline doesn't matter (see the newest version of "Dune") and I'm not saying don't have deep characters or relationships. Just that if I'm trying to watch sci-fi, I want some danged sci-fi. Give me drama, but make that the add-on (rather than the genre you're selling it in).

I mean, for two examples, shows like "Station Eleven" with Mackenzie Davis (starts with the tale of a disease leading to the end of the world, but then mainly focuses on a circus/musician's troupe that travels around a Great Lake and their group dynamic and the whole "human condition" eat/pray/love nonsense you'd typically find in a Nicholas Sparks novel, or so I assume), or one I just gave a few episodes before giving up on in Amazon Prime's "Night Sky" with Sissy Spacek and everyone's favorite curmudgeon J.K. Simmons (a story of an older married couple who hold the secret of a chamber that leads to an observation deck of some kind on another planet, which they don't know anything about other than it's in their barn and they're the only ones who know about it) and this seemed interesting at first, but then quickly becomes about their love, personal histories, and relationships with others and almost nothing about the danged interplanetary travel chamber storyline.

It feels like they drew me in with Star Wars and then tried to get me to watch "This is Us" instead. By contrast, loved J.K. Simmons in "Counterpart". The sci-fi itself wasn't flashy at all (spoiler alert: tale of two dimensions that have discovered one another and where there's one portal where limited communication exists between them), but it balanced the sci-fi with character development, relationships (actually a very important part of the show), and espionage/mystery. I don't mind the "human condition" stories on occasion, but I'm usually looking for spectacle or escapism and when you sell me on that but give me something else I feel cheated (even if I might have enjoyed the story you really wanted to tell without the sci-fi elements to dress it up). Would still recommend the first episode of "Station Eleven". I wouldn't say the same of "Night Sky", but it's not bad. If I get bored I may continue, but my hopes are severely diminished.

Incredible Member

Well trained people with firearms. Don’t bring enough ammo or throw down there guns when they run out of ammo.

I will jump on the dislike of kids as heroes train.

It is not all movies like that I dislike. Well trained professional adults get taken hostage or defeated or some crap by the mega master mind that is so far above their class gets taken out by the plucky ten year old.

I cant remember the name of the movie but it was one of the "Serious" Movies of this trope. By serious I mean not one like Spy kids were it was meant that the heroes are the kids and the adult bad guys kind of suck.

This one was a group of terrorist. One of them said "I am a soldier. I did three tours (Didnt say where) I trained for this my whole adult life. Then a group of untrained 12 year old and a fat 13 year old takes out the whole team.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

How about those action movies where they have to stop some Bio Weapon.

Like a disease or chemical weapon. And the chemical is in this little glass vial, very breakable. And the good guy who steals it is running from the bad guys who are shooting at him, and he is slamming into things as he is running and falling down, and jumping through doors. And at the end of the chase the little breakable glass vial is fine. No damage. Then the hero drops it as he is sitting down or some crap and the thing shatters.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I will jump on the dislike of kids as heroes train.

It is not all movies like that I dislike. Well trained professional adults get taken hostage or defeated or some crap by the mega master mind that is so far above their class gets taken out by the plucky ten year old.

I cant remember the name of the movie but it was one of the "Serious" Movies of this trope. By serious I mean not one like Spy kids were it was meant that the heroes are the kids and the adult bad guys kind of suck.

This one was a group of terrorist. One of them said "I am a soldier. I did three tours (Didnt say where) I trained for this my whole adult life. Then a group of untrained 12 year old and a fat 13 year old takes out the whole team.
    This one?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119630...nm_flmg_act_97
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Jared Leto.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    No but that was bad as well.

The one I am talking about is from the early 90s.

The "there's someone waiting in the backseat" cliche. I'm sure it can happen where you don't notice someone in your car, but we've seen it SO many times... Does anyone know of a scene where a character gets caught hiding before they can pop up?

When a movie has a character playing a stripper but they never actually take off their clothes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Feel like I've made this complaint before, but I'm old and will repeat: I hate when a show is selling me on Sci-Fi and then gives me interpersonal drama almost exclusively with a dash of sci-fi as if it were set-dressing. I get it, if you don't care about the characters the background/storyline doesn't matter (see the newest version of "Dune") and I'm not saying don't have deep characters or relationships. Just that if I'm trying to watch sci-fi, I want some danged sci-fi. Give me drama, but make that the add-on (rather than the genre you're selling it in).

I mean, for two examples, shows like "Station Eleven" with Mackenzie Davis (starts with the tale of a disease leading to the end of the world, but then mainly focuses on a circus/musician's troupe that travels around a Great Lake and their group dynamic and the whole "human condition" eat/pray/love nonsense you'd typically find in a Nicholas Sparks novel, or so I assume), or one I just gave a few episodes before giving up on in Amazon Prime's "Night Sky" with Sissy Spacek and everyone's favorite curmudgeon J.K. Simmons (a story of an older married couple who hold the secret of a chamber that leads to an observation deck of some kind on another planet, which they don't know anything about other than it's in their barn and they're the only ones who know about it) and this seemed interesting at first, but then quickly becomes about their love, personal histories, and relationships with others and almost nothing about the danged interplanetary travel chamber storyline.

It feels like they drew me in with Star Wars and then tried to get me to watch "This is Us" instead. By contrast, loved J.K. Simmons in "Counterpart". The sci-fi itself wasn't flashy at all (spoiler alert: tale of two dimensions that have discovered one another and where there's one portal where limited communication exists between them), but it balanced the sci-fi with character development, relationships (actually a very important part of the show), and espionage/mystery. I don't mind the "human condition" stories on occasion, but I'm usually looking for spectacle or escapism and when you sell me on that but give me something else I feel cheated (even if I might have enjoyed the story you really wanted to tell without the sci-fi elements to dress it up). Would still recommend the first episode of "Station Eleven". I wouldn't say the same of "Night Sky", but it's not bad. If I get bored I may continue, but my hopes are severely diminished.
    This seems to be a trend in almost every genre now. Action,adventure,comedy etc.

Extraordinary Member

Youtubers pronouncing names wrong. It won't even be an obscure name either. Or just a name from a show they're reviewing. It's like did you watch the show?wtf.