Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Any time someone runs to get in their car to follow another person who is already driving in their car and proceeds to follow them for several miles through a big, busy city and manages to stay up with them.

The car following manages to catch up to them in this busy city, is never in the wrong lane when the car in front makes a quick turn, and the car following never gets held up by red lights or congestive traffic. They just manage to stay with the car in front all the way to their destination.

There's no way that happens.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I will actually expand this to movies like Thunderbirds, where they could have had adult heroes, but they instead decided to go the kid route because all of the adults were in trouble.
    I actually love Thunderbirds, it's one of my favourite movies. But I understand why other people don't share that view.

I get annoyed when the protagonist keeps stumbling upon situations where crazy stuff occurs. I'm happy if there's some kind of explanation.

So it bothers me that the Doctor keeps landing places where there's an emergency to solve. And I like it when writers suggest he's a brilliant guy who is able to realize situations where he's needed, or when there's an outside explanation like the Tardis intentionally sending him to places where he could help.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I get annoyed when the protagonist keeps stumbling upon situations where crazy stuff occurs. I'm happy if there's some kind of explanation.

So it bothers me that the Doctor keeps landing places where there's an emergency to solve. And I like it when writers suggest he's a brilliant guy who is able to realize situations where he's needed, or when there's an outside explanation like the Tardis intentionally sending him to places where he could help.
    I think there's been plenty of indication that there have been travels where nothing happens and the Doctor and his companion just have a nice time, but that's not what we see on the show. Also, there's always been horrible things going on every second of every day everywhere since the dawn of time.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Everyone drinks their coffee black. When a character pours coffee I never see them add cream or sugar. I know there are people that like it black with nothing in it, but everyone?

In the "Christmas Invasion" the Doctor said "Trouble's just the bits In-Between" when Rose's mother is worried that they go looking for trouble, and there's a lot of references to the Doctor and his companions just being 'space tourists'/stopping by places where nothing dangerous happens (presumably) like Space Florida. We just don't see that because it would be a bit boring
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Well and then there is the episode "Midnight" which combines the space tourism element with trouble. Same goes for the "Shakespeare Code" episode. Come to think of it, there are lots of times where the Doctor is just traveling somewhere innocently and all hell breaks loose. And then there is the episode where the Doctor goes to the moment earth goes Supernova and there is a party going on, and ... trouble. Hmm.

But I do think its well established that the Doctor is on a big joyride, for the most part. But it seems that either he is just intuitively finding trouble or he just gets lucky each time and it finds him. I do think the Doctor's intelligence causes him to see problems where others would have missed them.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 03-21-2023 at 12:06 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

This is mostly in soap operas, but I hate when two people CONSTANTLY bump into each other when they live in a big city.

Like, they meet at the coffee house when they are the only two people there. And then they do it again the next day, and the next, and the next.

Any public place, they meet there "unexpectedly" and act surprised. "I didn't know you'd be here."

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well and then there is the episode "Midnight" which combines the space tourism element with trouble. Same goes for the "Shakespeare Code" episode. Come to think of it, there are lots of times where the Doctor is just traveling somewhere innocently and all hell breaks loose. And then there is the episode where the Doctor goes to the moment earth goes Supernova and there is a party going on, and ... trouble. Hmm.

But I do think its well established that the Doctor is on a big joyride, for the most part. But it seems that either he is just intuitively finding trouble or he just gets lucky each time and it finds him. I do think the Doctor's intelligence causes him to see problems where others would have missed them.

Think there's also some episodes where he expects trouble but actually gets a bit caught up in having fun instead and almost becomes distracted from the actual threat. Seemed to happen with McCoy's Doctor a bit, especially early.

Then again there's also episodes where he seems to pop up on troublesome planets for no good reason. Caves of Androzani for example. Apart from giving a bit of a science lesson he seems kind of bored of the planet just being all sandy, and totally unaware that there it had a DUNEesque drug being mined there causing a war.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-21-2023 at 06:47 PM.

In the episode The Doctor's Wife, it's kind of explained. The TARDIS tells him that she always takes him where he needs to go.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Incredible Member

See how many movies you can make and tv shows with zero strippers, strip clubs, or women who used to be hookers in it.
    Last edited by gwhh; 05-27-2023 at 07:12 AM.

Scenes with the camera at the hood ornament point of view looking back with three people in a car, where the majority of the time the person in the back seat sits in the middle.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think there's been plenty of indication that there have been travels where nothing happens and the Doctor and his companion just have a nice time, but that's not what we see on the show. Also, there's always been horrible things going on every second of every day everywhere since the dawn of time.
    That's true. We get the feeling that each Doctor has been around for at least decades before he regenerates. Even the 8th Doctor is implied to have had countless adventures. To paraphrase Tolkien, the mundane, happy stuff is the majority of the time but boring in the telling, so getting back to the next thing that is actually an adventure...

I think, way back in the thread, I mentioned people who are upsidedown seeing things upsidedown such as the ceiling being where the floor should be. It's just a film tradition. I think it only annoys me because I've had a person in real life (I didn't say, a smart person) claim it's true when the evidence it's not is right there for the testing. Hmm, come to think of it, that's standard.
    Power with Girl is better.

There's also huge gaps in the Doctor's life due in part to the hiatuses-the Seventh Doctor for example leaves Ace and travels for who knows how long before the TV movie. The Eighth has already mentioned. Also where he had alien or robot companions with unknown life-spans like Nyssa, Romana and K-9, could've been decades, centuries. Also it's unclear how long the War Doctor has been fighting but the reflection in "Night of the Doctor" seems to show him as "Alien" era John Hurt...

Although occasionally he does get 'stuck' for long times such as Trenzalore or the confession dial.

I want to see a Batman movie or comic where he swings around the city every night and never encounters any crime because street crimes happen within a matter of a few seconds to a couple of minutes and there's no way he could get there in time. [Yes, I am joking].
    Power with Girl is better.