View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Beauty #4

0 0%
  • Huck #1

4 11.76%
  • I Hate Fairyland #2

2 5.88%
  • Invincible #125

6 17.65%
  • Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl #4 (of 6)

1 2.94%
  • Pretty Deadly #6

8 23.53%
  • Rat Queens #13

3 8.82%
  • Reyn #10

2 5.88%
  • Savior #8 (of 8)

0 0%
  • Shutter #17

1 2.94%
  • Tokyo Ghost #3

6 17.65%
  • Wayward #11

1 2.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Image Comics poll week 47 - Huck launches & Pretty Deadly returns

Welcome to the weekly Image poll, vote for your favourite comic & join the conversation!

Last week was a tight race, several competitors sought out the win, with Descender ultimately losing out to newcomer The Goddamned #1.

This week also has some cool stuff going on, with Wayward starting a new storyline, Reyn and Shutter ending their current arcs, Invincible continuing its well-publicised REBOOT?! story, Savior coming to and end (for now?) and the long-awaited return of Pretty Deadly!

Lastly there's also a new series out this week, Mark Millar has managed to snatch Rafael Albuquerque for his new project Huck. This is about a superpowered dude who tries to help out locals in exchange for keeping his powers secret - obviously that can't last...

232739_s0.jpg

Rat Queens #13 was such a hoot! Lots of fun and still advanced the plot. My only Image book this week, but still worthy of the vote.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 11-18-2015 at 09:20 AM.

No books from my pull this week, but I did splurge and pick up Huck. It seems like it's worth a look.

Invincible gets my automatic vote as always. Looking forward to seeing how this Reboot story arc goes.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Tokyo Ghost #3 for me. Was going to pick up Huck but will wait to hear more about it. Anyone know if it's another mini from Millar or is it an ongoing?

Incredible Member

Invincible is simply the best comic book on the stands. Read it and loved it as usual.

I will read Pretty Deadly later this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Tokyo Ghost #3 for me. Was going to pick up Huck but will wait to hear more about it. Anyone know if it's another mini from Millar or is it an ongoing?
    Almost certain it is a mini.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Pretty Deadly was the only Image book of interest to me this week, so it gets the vote. It's a beautiful issue. Rios is as talented and unique as ever.

I love the Hellboy in Hell short in DHP this week and BPRD was a real doozie! That's it for me this week, but it's hard to complain with those two in the same week. Hellboy would get my vote if it could.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

So, here's the rundown for me and Indie books this week.

Huck #1
    Ultraman Vol. 2
    Wayward #11
    Pretty Deadly #6
    Red Thorn #1 & Clean Room #2

Huck was the best Image book easily (though Batman and Robin Eternal and also Ms. Marvel tied for best book of the week in general). Wayward was a shocking. It was an issue that was... actually pretty decent. It's amazing what happens when the writer actually decides to focus on characters and focus on the immeditate aftermath of a situation instead of just blazing forward. Hopefully this is a good sign for Wayward's future and that Zub will be slowing down.

Pretty Deadly #6 looked great, but was otherwise a letdown. Been gone for over a year and... barely a thing happened. Also, the comic isn't as emotional as think it is. Having reread the entire series to prepare for #6, this series wasn't particularly good at developing a bunch of its characters. Sarah barely did a damn thing.

Clean Room was Clean Room and Red Thorn was a letdown. Like a lot of Vertigo's new series, great ideas and premise with lots of potential... but it didn't come together. The writer needs to focus his narrative and quite frankly, he needs to make his main character consistent from the beginning to the end of an issue.

Ultraman Vol. 2 was the manga I read this week and it's pretty dang good. Easily accessible for new and old fans of the character.
    Last edited by InformationGeek; 11-18-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Just got home from work, I have literally been thinking about this Invincible Vs Daddy reboot rematch all day, this is going to be glorious. If they wind up talking instead if fighting, I will never vote Invincible again.
    Unless Huck or Rat Queens or Tokyo Ghost really impresses me, I'm voting Invincible, I assume.

Also, the Hoax Hunters season 2 bundle I ordered finally came. I wish this book was still an Image series so I could've bought it in a store like regular books, but ultimately I wound up getting it cheaper, in bulk, and signed (by Moreci, not Seely). Moreci also sent me a free variant #1 of his book Transference. I wish it could've arrived on a day where I didn;t have so many new comics to read already.

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    Almost certain it is a mini.
    lol, has Millar ever written something longer than 12 issues in his career? I have no memories of him with an ongoing. Even his runs in established superhero books are always short.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 11-18-2015 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    lol, has Millar ever written something longer than 12 issues in his career? I have no memories of him with an ongoing. Even his runs in established superhero books are always short.
    Ultimate X-Men went on for at least twenty issues and a small event.

My vote goes to Pretty Deadly
    This isn’t a comic you wrestle down and beat into submission in an attempt to understand it. Much like Fellini’s cinematic masterpiece 8 ½, you breath it, you soak in it. Italian film historian Peter Bondanella called 8 ½, "art film colossal" – and considered it equitable to poetry with cadence and meter. On the closing scene he wrote that, "Fellini wants his audience to experience an image designed to produce an emotion, not to analyze an idea designed to make an intellectual argument." This is also true of the beautiful elegy that is Pretty Deadly. I think Fellini, who was an artist and comic fan, would have appreciated it.
    Last edited by Doughy Man!; 11-19-2015 at 01:21 AM.
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

Only picking up Tokyo Ghost this week, gave Huck a miss for the moment.......

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Pretty Deadly #6 looked great, but was otherwise a letdown. Been gone for over a year and... barely a thing happened. Also, the comic isn't as emotional as think it is. Having reread the entire series to prepare for #6, this series wasn't particularly good at developing a bunch of its characters. Sarah barely did a damn thing.
    I think maybe this book just isn't for you. Or maybe better as trades for you. I also think you went into this with an expectation of what it should have been, or needed to be, for you, and boy, that's just never been what this book is.

I thought this was a rather beautiful issue, from the art and colors to the writing. I think this was a stronger debut than #1, which stumbled a bit more. This issue knows what it is and how to be that perfectly. It's strong. It might not be what you wanted, but I can't imagine this isn't exactly what they wanted.

I also wonder how much of the recent DeFraction family issues played into this. Seems like this was done a while before that, but I can't help but read it with that in mind, and maybe that changed the reading for me in a way it didn't for you.

Still, I always take a little umbrage with reviews that fault well executed, intentionally made art because it wasn't what the reviewer wanted, instead of reviewing the actual work for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I think maybe this book just isn't for you. Or maybe better as trades for you. I also think you went into this with an expectation of what it should have been, or needed to be, for you, and boy, that's just never been what this book is.
    For context about how I went into this comic before I reviewed it, I read every issue back to back, including this latest one. I had no expectations or wants for this comic, besides for it to be enjoyable. That's usually all I want a comic to be.

I thought this was a rather beautiful issue, from the art and colors to the writing. I think this was a stronger debut than #1, which stumbled a bit more. This issue knows what it is and how to be that perfectly. It's strong. It might not be what you wanted, but I can't imagine this isn't exactly what they wanted.
    It is beautiful on an art level, but I don't find the writing to be.

Also, what is the issue then? You seem to know what it is, so describe it to me.

I also wonder how much of the recent DeFraction family issues played into this. Seems like this was done a while before that, but I can't help but read it with that in mind, and maybe that changed the reading for me in a way it didn't for you.
    I know nothing about what is going on with the writer and her family. I tend to ignore that sort of thing unless it ends up as a media story (like with the situation with Rat Queens).