Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Is WYTCHES Really That Good/Scary?

Its getting rave reviews. Wondering if its really that good and scary or is it overrated?

Incredible Member

I was not a fan and dropped it after three issues. I'm not really sure what the overall consensus is though. Rachel Rising and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina are better books in the same vein as Wytches.

It's good, not the 5/5 masterpiece that reviews say it is but I still enjoyed it.

It was original, but I wasn't particularly frightened by it. I think I found most of the characters a little too hard to empathize with to get really scared. Still, for $10, I think the first arc is worth reading.

I read the first arc, but I doubt i'll continue. It wasn't scary to me personally, but it was definitely creepy, just not enough to keep me hooked. I wasn't a huge fan of the art, or more specifically the coloring either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    I read the first arc, but I doubt i'll continue. It wasn't scary to me personally, but it was definitely creepy, just not enough to keep me hooked. I wasn't a huge fan of the art, or more specifically the coloring either.
    Completely agree. Not a fan.

I liked it. Quite creepy for the first 3ish issues, but the more you learn about the Wytches the less and less creepy it is.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Pretty cool, I love the art with the psychedelic splashes across the whole thing. In my opinion it was ALMOST there and they almost had a really good concept but not quite realised properly. Still cool but not mindblowing or a must read as i feel it could have been

Ive only read two issues but felt it was a bit too on the nose.
    Might checkout the trades.

I enjoy it, but it's not actually scary. I just smoke weed and enjoy the creepy art. The art is scarier than the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Turpin View Post
    the art with the psychedelic splashes across the whole thing
    Mmm hmm, that's some good stuff.

Spectacular Member

Thanks guys! Ita $5.60 in Amazon. Might as well right?

I liked it but I thought they dropped the ball with the reveal of the wytches themselves. Snyder wanted creepy and scary but one-dimensional monsters aren't very scary anymore. Some of the townspeople that were acting as agents of the wytches were, however, and I think that's because in horror fiction, motivation and intent matter a lot. The wytches seemed to have neither, beyond "eat sacrificial victims" or whatever it is they did with them.

What are some other good scary series then?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    Locke and Key and American Vampire are both good.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    I like Severed much better than Wytches. I think a guy I work with described my problem with Wytches pretty aptly, "it's pretty to look at but reads like a Lifetime Original horror movie".
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.