Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Supergirl Book

I getcha. I have my issues with Berganza too, but I won't lie, I'd rather have her around than not at around at all regardless.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I getcha. I have my issues with Berganza too, but I won't lie, I'd rather have her around than not at around at all regardless.
    Yikes. I'd have to think about that one... I guess I could get on board as long as it had a kick ass creative team with a clear vision. The last thing I want is a TERRIBLE Supergirl book that drives away potential new readers who are excited about the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Arrow or Flash books sales didn't change despite them both having hit tv shows. If they can't get a good pitch then there isn't any point in running any old crap, I'd much rather they be patient and get a good pitch from a good team.
    This.

Larger media does not impact comic book sales. Synergy doesnt help.

Studies have found that monthly floppy sales see no notable increase or decrease in sales when a movie or show hits. Trades see a quick spike around the launch of a film or show but that's about it. I cant speak for digital sales as I have not seen any sales data for specific titles, but I have no reason to believe they're any different from trades and floppies; maybe a short-term spike and nothing else.

So DC is not dropping the ball by not having a Supergirl title right now. If success on tv or movies translated to comics, Flash would be DC's biggest hit.

I'd rather see DC wait for the right pitch and the right creative team, than see them throw something together just so they can point to it and say "just like tv!"
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Was there ever a definitive reason why Kara's last run was ended? I seem to recall its sales were fairly good or decent, though I might be wrong about that, and the book actually seemed to have a fairly strong direction and a creative team who were passionate about the character.

It seemed to be so that they could relaunch the book around the time the show premiered, but maybe the failure of DCYou put them off of doing it?

No explanation was ever given, no. Which is the source of my frustration. I am not a synergy guy at all. I hate it in fact, at least when it comes to live action vs. comics. The vast differences in the mediums make synergy pointless, imo. But if that had been the reason, so be it. I would have at least understood the method there. But that obviously was not the reason, since DC indeed did absolutely nothing in comic form to commemorate the show. Further before its cancelation, the book was heading back into a good place and the numbers weren't abysmal. So I'm still left asking myself not only was the book canceled, but why did they seemingly put a hands-off edict on the character altogether, be it in the Superman books or JLU? It makes no sense whatsoever.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-20-2015 at 11:41 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Was there ever a definitive reason why Kara's last run was ended? I seem to recall its sales were fairly good or decent, though I might be wrong about that, and the book actually seemed to have a fairly strong direction and a creative team who were passionate about the character.

It seemed to be so that they could relaunch the book around the time the show premiered, but maybe the failure of DCYou put them off of doing it?
    I don't think DCYou had any impact. and if had dc was very dumb becaus eone thing has nothing t do with another

I really don't see the logic of not having the book around when supergirl is launching. I heard from retailers people are buying lots of back issues and dissapointed there isn't a actual book to read

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    This.

Larger media does not impact comic book sales. Synergy doesnt help.

Studies have found that monthly floppy sales see no notable increase or decrease in sales when a movie or show hits. Trades see a quick spike around the launch of a film or show but that's about it. I cant speak for digital sales as I have not seen any sales data for specific titles, but I have no reason to believe they're any different from trades and floppies; maybe a short-term spike and nothing else.

So DC is not dropping the ball by not having a Supergirl title right now. If success on tv or movies translated to comics, Flash would be DC's biggest hit.

I'd rather see DC wait for the right pitch and the right creative team, than see them throw something together just so they can point to it and say "just like tv!"
    I think you are very wrong. Black widow and hawkeye only got to be long solo runs because of movies popularity. black widow had rucka and marjorie liu trying but it didn't got the atention it needed. Now widow is going to have waid and samnee, hawkeye is good with lemire/perez.

guardians, doctor strange all get some benefits of the movies. synergy really helps, if you know how to use

funny thing is that vertigo will put a Lucifer comic book...

yes dc is dropping the ball hard

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    No explanation was ever given, no. Which is the source of my frustration. I am not a synergy guy at all. I hate it in fact, at least when it comes to live action vs. comics. The vast differences in the mediums make synergy pointless, imo. But if that had been the reason, so be it. I would have at least understood the method there. But that obviously was not the reason, since DC indeed did absolutely nothing in comic form to commemorate the show. Further before its cancelation, the book was heading back into a good place and the numbers weren't abysmal. So I'm still left asking myself not only was the book canceled, but why did they seemingly put a hands-off edict on the character altogether, be it in the Superman books or JLU? It makes no sense whatsoever.
    Yeah it really does seem maddening. I adored the book at the time of its cancelation and i have no idea where Kara is during TRUTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    I think you are very wrong. Black widow and hawkeye only got to be long solo runs because of movies popularity. black widow had rucka and marjorie liu trying but it didn't got the atention it needed. Now widow is going to have waid and samnee, hawkeye is good with lemire/perez.

guardians, doctor strange all get some benefits of the movies. synergy really helps, if you know how to use

funny thing is that vertigo will put a Lucifer comic book...

yes dc is dropping the ball hard
    Dont blame me then, blame Axel Alonso. I first heard about the study when he brought it up in one of his CBR interviews.

Im not putting out my own opinion here, these are the findings of a study I had no part in and was completely unaware of until long after it was finished.

Whether you agree with the findings or not is irrelevant. Do you have a study that says otherwise? I'd love to read it. Otherwise, you have an unfounded opinion and that doesnt count for anything.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Yeah it really does seem maddening. I adored the book at the time of its cancelation and i have no idea where Kara is during TRUTH.
    She lost her powers at the end of her last series, so I just figure she's laying low. If people found out about her connection to Clark her new secret identity would be trashed and everyone would come gunning for her just like they have Lois and the Planet and Clark's neighborhood.

But yeah her complete absence is weird. If nothing else editorial should have made sure there was a blurb in one of the books somewhere to explain it, even if its as simple as Clark saying "I told Kara to stay away so she doesnt get pulled into this madness" or "She's back at Crucible trying to figure out why our powers are gone" or something.

~ Black Panther.

Re member

Dont blame me then, blame Axel Alonso. I first heard about the study when he brought it up in one of his CBR interviews.

Im not putting out my own opinion here, these are the findings of a study I had no part in and was completely unaware of until long after it was finished.
    Is there a link to this study?

Quote Originally Posted by Iopy View Post
    Is there a link to this study?
    I didnt save the link at the time, being under the assumption that it would never be needed (I rarely save things I stumble upon online). A quick Google search hasnt brought it up either. I did find a few articles that claim the increase in sales these last few years are due in part to the movies, but there's no cited research to accompany it. I wish I had kept the study though, since I could have used it in my research for a few projects at school. Alas, hindsight is 20/20.

Now, before this becomes a thing let me elaborate a bit on that study. It is not saying that the films, shows, and other larger media efforts have not had an impact on the comic industry at all. What the study was saying is that there's no noticeable sales increase for a particular title when a related product comes out in larger media. Avengers sales do not increase when a movie hits for example, and the Arkham games have not increased Batman sales. Trades see a nice pop, but floppies barely see a blip, and neither lasts for more than a month or two before returning to normal levels.

Overall, readership is increasing and has been since 2011, which pulled us out of a five year nosedive. There are more retailers and hobby shops opening up. Digital sales have increased substantially in that time, from something like 24 million units bought in 2010 to 100 million in 2014 (or was it 2013?). Comics are in a better place than they've been in for a very long time, and the larger media stuff has played a role in that, along with the increased news coverage (DC's 52 reboot got lots of airtime on CNN for example) and a few other factors. But you're not likely going to see a big jump in Wonder Woman sales when her movie hits in 2017, for example.

So I just did some checking on my own. In July 2008 when Dark Knight hit theaters, Batman sold 103K. Four months later it was still at 103K. Four months before the movie hit it sold 105K. About the only thing this tells us is that Batman's rate of sales attrition is lower than average, and I think we all knew that already.

Invincible Iron Man #1 came out in May 2008, same month as the movie, and sold 105K. Its second issue sold 68K (fairly normal drop for a second issue as I understand it). By December it was selling 56K, which is roughly around the average rate of attrition for that time period, near as I can tell.

The month that Man of Steel came out (June, 2013) Action sold 46K. The month before it sold 48K. By August Action sold 42K. Again, fairly average rate of attrition, with little to no real impact from the film that I can see.

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I didnt save the link at the time, being under the assumption that it would never be needed (I rarely save things I stumble upon online). A quick Google search hasnt brought it up either. I did find a few articles that claim the increase in sales these last few years are due in part to the movies, but there's no cited research to accompany it. I wish I had kept the study though, since I could have used it in my research for a few projects at school. Alas, hindsight is 20/20.

Now, before this becomes a thing let me elaborate a bit on that study. It is not saying that the films, shows, and other larger media efforts have not had an impact on the comic industry at all. What the study was saying is that there's no noticeable sales increase for a particular title when a related product comes out in larger media. Avengers sales do not increase when a movie hits for example, and the Arkham games have not increased Batman sales. Trades see a nice pop, but floppies barely see a blip, and neither lasts for more than a month or two before returning to normal levels.

Overall, readership is increasing and has been since 2011, which pulled us out of a five year nosedive. There are more retailers and hobby shops opening up. Digital sales have increased substantially in that time, from something like 24 million units bought in 2010 to 100 million in 2014 (or was it 2013?). Comics are in a better place than they've been in for a very long time, and the larger media stuff has played a role in that, along with the increased news coverage (DC's 52 reboot got lots of airtime on CNN for example) and a few other factors. But you're not likely going to see a big jump in Wonder Woman sales when her movie hits in 2017, for example.

So I just did some checking on my own. In July 2008 when Dark Knight hit theaters, Batman sold 103K. Four months later it was still at 103K. Four months before the movie hit it sold 105K. About the only thing this tells us is that Batman's rate of sales attrition is lower than average, and I think we all knew that already.

Invincible Iron Man #1 came out in May 2008, same month as the movie, and sold 105K. Its second issue sold 68K (fairly normal drop for a second issue as I understand it). By December it was selling 56K, which is roughly around the average rate of attrition for that time period, near as I can tell.

The month that Man of Steel came out (June, 2013) Action sold 46K. The month before it sold 48K. By August Action sold 42K. Again, fairly average rate of attrition, with little to no real impact from the film that I can see.
    that is not how you measure it, it is a long time proccess. My nephew's friend read marvel comics because he watched the movies and got interested. maybe it doesn't happen in the massive numbers but it is good anyway.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-c...on-fire-2014-8 he it says that movies are helping the comics industry.

http://mojonews.com.au/marvel-movies...omic-industry/

I don't really expecct to see instant big increases, it is a slower proccess. I don't think majority of the movie public get that they can get stories about the character while waiting for the next movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    that is not how you measure it, it is a long time proccess. My nephew's friend read marvel comics because he watched the movies and got interested. maybe it doesn't happen in the massive numbers but it is good anyway.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-c...on-fire-2014-8 he it says that movies are helping the comics industry.

http://mojonews.com.au/marvel-movies...omic-industry/

I don't really expecct to see instant big increases, it is a slower proccess. I don't think majority of the movie public get that they can get stories about the character while waiting for the next movie.
    Read my posts again. I never said that it didnt influence the industry. In fact, I went out of my way to make sure it wasnt taken that way by specifically stating outright that it does help increase readership as a whole. I dedicated like, an entire paragraph to that one point. sigh.

But there's no evidence (that I know of) which says that movies/games/shows impact individual titles. As I proved with the examples in my last post, comics are going to sell what they're going to sell regardless of what happens in larger media.

Synergy is nice. Its something to keep an eye on and embrace when it makes sense to do so. But it isnt so important that comics should bend over for it at all costs. And sometimes it comes back to bite you in the ass (Spider-Man's organic web shooters anyone?). If movie synergy was all that important, then we'd be seeing increases only in franchises that have heavily embraced synergy. We're not. We're seeing increases across the board. So a movie goer might walk into a bookstore to buy an Iron Man trade that closely resembles Robert Downy Jr. But he'll leave with far more than just Fraction's Invincible Iron Man.

All that said, no DC did not miss out on something by not launching a Supergirl book in time for the show. Supergirl has enough trades out there to benefit from her increased exposure, and fans of the show will buy trades that dont exactly reflect the show.

That said, it would have been nice to get such a title, and even better to get one seven months ago so there could have been a brand new trade on the shelves for the show's debut. It'd have been nice, but not necessary.

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Read my posts again. I never said that it didnt influence the industry. In fact, I went out of my way to make sure it wasnt taken that way by specifically stating outright that it does help increase readership as a whole. I dedicated like, an entire paragraph to that one point. sigh.

But there's no evidence (that I know of) which says that movies/games/shows impact individual titles. As I proved with the examples in my last post, comics are going to sell what they're going to sell regardless of what happens in larger media.

Synergy is nice. Its something to keep an eye on and embrace when it makes sense to do so. But it isnt so important that comics should bend over for it at all costs. And sometimes it comes back to bite you in the ass (Spider-Man's organic web shooters anyone?). If movie synergy was all that important, then we'd be seeing increases only in franchises that have heavily embraced synergy. We're not. We're seeing increases across the board. So a movie goer might walk into a bookstore to buy an Iron Man trade that closely resembles Robert Downy Jr. But he'll leave with far more than just Fraction's Invincible Iron Man.

All that said, no DC did not miss out on something by not launching a Supergirl book in time for the show. Supergirl has enough trades out there to benefit from her increased exposure, and fans of the show will buy trades that dont exactly reflect the show.

That said, it would have been nice to get such a title, and even better to get one seven months ago so there could have been a brand new trade on the shelves for the show's debut. It'd have been nice, but not necessary.
    individual titles? black widow, hawkeye, guardians of the galaxy in general benefited from the movie. Black widow that for the first time got like +20 issues of a solo and she was easily the break out of avengers movie

synergy can bit a company on the butt, just like any decision they make. organic web shooters, what about spidey on civill war and one more day? i think I can appreacite more when comics try to get diverse fans than screwing up fo the sake of erasing a marriage that majority likes.

the thing is back issues DC lost some good money on them, trades not so much if they are new prints and not used. there is people getting money, but it isn't DC for sure. every week on bleeding cool retailers say that they move a lot of back issues and it is a mistake dc doesn't has a book. a floppy, not a trade the retailers said. I even heard a girl that want to read a new comic for Supergirl. it's part of the anxiety of being a fan: waiting for a new story and see what happens

you just have the dc mentality of not thinking on the whole stuff. It's not like DC is winning these days.

also why the hell dc puts a lucifer comic book but not a supergirl comic book