Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Supergirl Book

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    individual titles? black widow, hawkeye, guardians of the galaxy in general benefited from the movie. Black widow that for the first time got like +20 issues of a solo and she was easily the break out of avengers movie

synergy can bit a company on the butt, just like any decision they make. organic web shooters, what about spidey on civill war and one more day? i think I can appreacite more when comics try to get diverse fans than screwing up fo the sake of erasing a marriage that majority likes.

the thing is back issues DC lost some good money on them, trades not so much if they are new prints and not used. there is people getting money, but it isn't DC for sure. every week on bleeding cool retailers say that they move a lot of back issues and it is a mistake dc doesn't has a book. a floppy, not a trade the retailers said. I even heard a girl that want to read a new comic for Supergirl. it's part of the anxiety of being a fan: waiting for a new story and see what happens

you just have the dc mentality of not thinking on the whole stuff. It's not like DC is winning these days.

also why the hell dc puts a lucifer comic book but not a supergirl comic book
    I'll concede Guardians of the Galaxy. But Hawkeye didnt benefit from the films as much as he benefited from the quality of the title itself. If his title's success is so completely tied to the movies, then explain the multitude of titles that outsell him without the benefit of movie appearances. And if Widow was the break out character of Avengers, then getting a solo to actually run past twenty issues doesnt say much for synergy does it? Jonah Hex does better than that, and his movie was a disaster.

And what do back issues have to do with anything in this conversation? Not a damn thing.

And if my problem is that I dont look at the big picture, what's your excuse for not being able to read? I already said larger media plays a part in comics. Its just not enough of one to force your comics into movie shape for no reason beyond "its just like on tv!"

You're so eager to argue with me you're not even aware of what Im saying.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'll concede Guardians of the Galaxy. But Hawkeye didnt benefit from the films as much as he benefited from the quality of the title itself. If his title's success is so completely tied to the movies, then explain the multitude of titles that outsell him without the benefit of movie appearances. And if Widow was the break out character of Avengers, then getting a solo to actually run past twenty issues doesnt say much for synergy does it? Jonah Hex does better than that, and his movie was a disaster.

And what do back issues have to do with anything in this conversation? Not a damn thing.

And if my problem is that I dont look at the big picture, what's your excuse for not being able to read? I already said larger media plays a part in comics. Its just not enough of one to force your comics into movie shape for no reason beyond "its just like on tv!"

You're so eager to argue with me you're not even aware of what Im saying.
    I think quality helped too, but the familiarity and the fact that people liked hawkeye in the movies helped people give it a chance. then it had the word of mouth. jonah hex always sold much less than black widow, longer run with much less sales. for a character that never was able to get a solo getting more 20 issues seems very good to me

retailers are selling back issues of supergirl, just that.

I don't think all comics need to be like the movie and tv shows, but every case has to be studied. Like thor and captain america are different people from movies, but the characters are from the movies. So people already know them

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    I think quality helped too, but the familiarity and the fact that people liked hawkeye in the movies helped people give it a chance. then it had the word of mouth. jonah hex always sold much less than black widow, longer run with much less sales. for a character that never was able to get a solo getting more 20 issues seems very good to me

retailers are selling back issues of supergirl, just that.

I don't think all comics need to be like the movie and tv shows, but every case has to be studied. Like thor and captain america are different people from movies, but the characters are from the movies. So people already know them
    I'll agree that twenty issues for Widow is good. Twenty issues in general isnt. If an ongoing only gets that many issues before it gets cancelled, its not a good sign. And considering how long Widow has been in movies and the attempts to sell her since then, I dont think the films help her solo sales very much. Certainly they might add a little, but its clearly not enough. The right creative team is what makes the difference there I think.

And again, back issues have nothing do with this discussion. Retailers sell back issues for every title. So what? That's not a problem, that's part of the industry. And DC gets paid for those back issues when they're ordered originally. If those issues dont sell immediately, or ever, thats not skin off DC's teeth unless the title in question has a return policy, and if it does, then those issues arent in back issue bins in the first place. So again, its a pointless thing to try and make a statement out of.

And yes, the idea of synergy is a case-by-case business. That's what Ive been saying. Its good when it can happen right, but its not a must-have option. For Supergirl, if she had a book right now its not going to sell any better than an average Supergirl book, with a margin for error based on the creative team (Johns would sell a bit more, Joe Random a bit less). So in the floppy category, DC is missing nothing. In the area of trades, there's already enough content to benefit from the show. Hell her last trade just hit shelves recently. All DC has to do, if anything, is pay for a new cover that shares a passing resemblance to the show, fill the trade with some of her more popular stories from throughout her history, and advertise the book as "The greatest hits of Supergirl, star of the new CBS show!" or whatever network its on. So yeah, it'd be nice if DC had a new title for Kara, but the show isnt going to add much to it, and since Supergirl is already a well known commodity in the public's consciousness, the show isnt going to accomplish much other than refreshing what is already in everyone's minds.

If we were talking about Stargirl, then I'd agree that a new series inspired by the show would be a good call and would benefit from a show's wider audience. But with Supergirl, its impact is negligible.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.