All-New Member InsanityIsTrueSanity's Avatar

Default So I read Grant Morrison's Action Comics Vol. 1, is it really like the Golden Age Superman?

Hi all! So I read the Grant Morrison trade of Action Comics Vol. 1 and I really enjoyed it. Thanks to those on these forums that recommended the story to me! Mind you, I'm not a fan of Morrison, but this story surprised me. It's sort of like Geoff John's Brainiac but for some reason I enjoyed this one more. Anyways, I was told that Morrison's version of Superman was actually a lot like the Golden Age Superman. Is this true? If so, I'd like to start reading some of the Golden Age Superman stories! I love the boy scout Superman has been known as for awhile now, but I want to check this version of the character out! My guess is the Golden Age Superman was the original Superman as the creators intended him to be? Can someone explain to me the whole Golden Age/Silver Age thing? What eras they're from? Silver Age being the Chris Reeve era? Sorry, all, I'm a rookie when it comes to Superman! I've been so focused on Batman over the years that I have ignored my second favorite superhero! But I'm trying to get back into reading his comics! I'll probably even check out the classic cartoon series. Anyways, any comics worth a read in the Golden Age era?

Also, is Morrison's run on Action Comics worth pursing or does it go downhill after the first 8 issues?

Retired

Golden Age just means the original run of Superman stories from the late '30s through the late '40s. I would call this the Siegel and Shuster Superman or the Original Superman. By Silver Age most people mean the Superman from the late '50s through the late '60s. The Christopher Reeve Superman has things in common with both, but being a movie that only goes so far.

THE SUPERMAN CHRONICLES are the cheapest way to read all of the Original Superman stories by Siegel and Shuster and by other writers and artists from the early days of the American comic book. Also pick up SUPERMAN: THE DAILIES and SUPERMAN: SUNDAY CLASSICS for the newspaper strip adventures.

Superman Chronicles as Jim Kelly recommended. Yes, he is a lot like the early Golden Age Superman in his attitudes. There are differences but I like the take on Superman. I like how, in some ways, he starts as an outside the law maverick that even Batman worries what he might do.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

The first dominus storyline had a golden age superman homage when he had supes in different timelines and one of them was the golden age.

All-New Member InsanityIsTrueSanity's Avatar

Makes me think why Superman doesn't have more villains who are dictators and terrorists… seems like something he'd go after. Dictators and corruption! Not just in America. I read somewhere that Superman stood up to the oppressed. That that was his motto, before it became standing up for truth, justice, and the American way.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

It definitely stays good (though the last volume might not be to your taste, as it's quite traditionally Morrison), and parts of the GA flavor stay through the second arc, where he essentially has to choose between remaining the Golden Age Superman or moving on to the flying, spacesuit wearing defender of the whole Earth. He's pretty similar to the Golden Age original version, though a bit cockier, if not also less brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by InsanityIsTrueSanity View Post
    Makes me think why Superman doesn't have more villains who are dictators and terrorists… seems like something he'd go after. Dictators and corruption! Not just in America. I read somewhere that Superman stood up to the oppressed. That that was his motto, before it became standing up for truth, justice, and the American way.
    Yeah, but there's a line where, questions of intervention of an all-powerful alien being on human civilization aside--there's a bit in Action #11 in Volume 2 where it becomes clear forcing social change is much harder than Superman initially thought--if Superman solved all the world's problems, the DC Earth would be too different from our Earth for the publisher's tastes, as it would change all the other titles and alter how writers would have to handle things. And the American Way hasn't really been his thing in a long time, even before that whole story a few years ago in Action #900 where he renounces his citizenship.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by InsanityIsTrueSanity View Post
    Hi all! So I read the Grant Morrison trade of Action Comics Vol. 1 and I really enjoyed it. Thanks to those on these forums that recommended the story to me! Mind you, I'm not a fan of Morrison, but this story surprised me. It's sort of like Geoff John's Brainiac but for some reason I enjoyed this one more. Anyways, I was told that Morrison's version of Superman was actually a lot like the Golden Age Superman. Is this true? If so, I'd like to start reading some of the Golden Age Superman stories! I love the boy scout Superman has been known as for awhile now, but I want to check this version of the character out! My guess is the Golden Age Superman was the original Superman as the creators intended him to be? Can someone explain to me the whole Golden Age/Silver Age thing? What eras they're from? Silver Age being the Chris Reeve era? Sorry, all, I'm a rookie when it comes to Superman! I've been so focused on Batman over the years that I have ignored my second favorite superhero! But I'm trying to get back into reading his comics! I'll probably even check out the classic cartoon series. Anyways, any comics worth a read in the Golden Age era?

Also, is Morrison's run on Action Comics worth pursing or does it go downhill after the first 8 issues?

Morrison's Superman wasn't quite the same as the original Siegel and Shuster Golden Age variant Superman but very much in the same spirit and as good a compromise.

And you should absolutely check out the Golden Age as it's the best way to get the pure and unfiltered understanding of the purpose of Superman as a character. Most of what I've read after Sigel and Shuster's tenure with the character is varying degree's of aberration of the original concept especially after everything becomes more connected. Golden Age Superman simply has a sense of drive, purpose, and necessity that is kind of absent afterwards. The Golden age tales are the Superman tales I would say are truly timeless.

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Archi...RPAT8XR5398BWE

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Archi...BF7MBZBNJXSK3Q
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory