Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Sounds like SPELLBOUND (vol 2) from 1988 starring Erica Fortune as "The Spellbinder" alongside her siblings who helped her struggle to remain sane while wielding the powers.
    Its was pretty standalone in the Marvel Universe, crossing over only with New Mutants and maybe Power Pack briefly IIRC.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Spellbound_Vol_2
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Erica_F...28Earth-616%29
    Yup that's the one! Knew it was Spell-something, couldn't remember it properly. Even when reading it back then, I did notice how it basically never really did anything that actually set it in the Marvel universe. With all the magic powers being unleashed you'd think Strange or some other hero would get involved, but never happens. I kind of felt it was a little odd, like this was a small pet project but instead of having it independently published, they inserted the whole thing into the Marvel universe

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Omega The Unknown - literally, I guess. The 10 issue remake series by Lethem and Dalrymple is probably my favorite project ever. Weird, sweet, and a breath of fresh air where superheroes go.

Punisher: Blood on the Moors - nothing mind blowing, just a stellar example of why the Punisher is such an easy character to read.

All New Doop - pretty brilliant considering I wanted nothing to do with that era of X-Men. Brings back a lot of what made X-Statix so fun, with an incredible leap made by Lafuente.

Saga of the Sub-Mariner/The Depths/Revolution - all quite good showcases of the many things that make Namor compelling.

Daredevil: Yellow - honestly, I think this the best origin for the character and it's not even close.

Adventures of Captain America - this was THE story for Bucky before the Winter Soldier. Very awesome Rocketeer kinda feel, even if Maguire didn't stick around.

Cable and Deadpool vs. X-Force - Duane Swiercynski is such an underrated writer imo. Nathan was an awesome dad, Hope was ultra sweet, the Lone Wolf went far with me. Second favorite Cable writer after Tischmann. DP and XF was a gorgeous, fun romp with a lot of cool throwback stuff.

And tons more I'd bring up later.

A bit back I read the entirety of the New Universe. Nightmask and Marc Hazzard, Merc, were outstanding titles that don't get enough love. The latter particularly has some great PAD writing.

I loved Revolutionary War I mean the plot was really good beautifully drawn and let's not forget this is MARVEL UK where talking about.

SPOILERS for issue 1

The first issue is Revolutionary wars alpha and if i remember correctly at the end of the issue some characters turn on captain Britian especially Death's Head.
    Spoilers finished

But really is a hidden gem that i think is one of my greatest finds that i picked up by accident but yeah love it. Can't forget the artwork!!

Revolutionary War - Alpha 001-017.jpg
    favourite comics:
    multiversity
    batman and the mad monk
    uncanny inhumans
    convergence booster gold
    we are robin
    Grayson
    Spectacular Spider-man V1
    Spider-verse
    New Avengers
    Night of The Living Deadpool
    Revolutionary war Motormouth
    Bruce Wayne The Road Home
    Superman Earth One
    Civil War
    Arkham Manor
    Jl
    Jla
    and 1000's more

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Cable and Deadpool vs. X-Force - Duane Swiercynski is such an underrated writer imo. Nathan was an awesome dad, Hope was ultra sweet, the Lone Wolf went far with me. Second favorite Cable writer after Tischmann. DP and XF was a gorgeous, fun romp with a lot of cool throwback stuff.
    Is this the series drawn by Olivetti? If that's it, I agree it was very well written and had an interesting concept. But I couldn't stand the drawings.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Revolutionary War was ridiculously good stuff. Beautiful. Badass. And the right kind of forward-moving nostalgia.

Badger and DeMatteis' Gargoyle, which I've written about at length here and there is a thing of beauty and painful revelation. I try, generally, to use "better than Watchmen" fairly, and, yes, Gargoyle is better than Watchmen.

Phil Winslade and Paul Jenkins' Unusual Suspects is a Spider-Man/Daredevil comic, the result of not making a comic to deadline, of editorial leeway, and it's got Alex Ross covers. So, why was it completely left to die on a rock with no real advertising, a low print run, and a trade with two-page spreads broken up that went out of print quick? The characterization, not just in dialogue and actions, but in body language and how characters physically communicate, is astoundingly good. This was a comic with effort put in.

How is there not a trade of Len Kaminski and James Fry's Slapstick? Fun, funny, freaky and featuring a cootie-fearing Punisher riff, an evil child, an alien Groucho impersonator, and the Neutron Bum, who keeps upping the amount of change he's asking for before he blows up the city because "*&#^ alla youse!" Excellent background gags, too, like the circus posters for the Falling Graysons (one night only).

A lot of the New Universe probably reads better now than it did at the time. Spitfire, in particular, was a bit ahead of some curves, in terms of its ethnically-diverse cast, focus on how women are sidelined in sciences, heroing, and society, some great reversals and interesting diving headfirst into consequences storytelling, and a strong center of a woman coming out of her father's shadow in her father's armor conundrum. DP7 is the great soap opera comic of the 80s, with Gruenwald and Ryan hitting up every romantic trauma, family angst, or ridiculous reveal they can think of while grounding it in silliness like the idea that, in some way, everyone getting superheroes is likely to try out some of the superhero tropes, and that, no matter what happens, people have to keep living their life with those consequences.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Firestar.

John Ostrander's Punisher:

Captain Britain and MI:!3 and The Order
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Destroyer by R Kirkman
    (now I need to hunt down the Ostrander stuff)