Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    1 month I already forget the story, 2-3 months makes it even harder. It's a accessible story even to people that doesn't read new 52 superman or same from movies/TV. It reads like a classic Superman story and do it very well.
    Hope Johns Superman will read in a similar way but with more depth.
    It's a compelling and engaging enough story that I've been able to keep track of the plot as it's moved along, but the months of breaks and postponement announcements allow some of the excitement or curiosity built up in an issue to abate. I agree the story is accessible. One of the pluses for me has been some of the glimpses of Clark Kent, and I thought Lois Lane seeing the Fortress of Solitude for the first time was magical. Overall, it has a thoughtful tone and a good heart, so I'll be sad to see it end.

LOL Lois Shoryuken.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    This book could have probably worked if it was played for laughs like ASBAR (well aside from the Hiroshima/Nagasaki stuff). I mean you have pre-Flashpoint Superman from Grounded in Jim Lee's suit, and he meets a 90s Extreme Image version of Nuclear Man/Dr. Manhattan. It could have been gold.
    I don't know, "I'm the hero you could never hope to be, because I murdered hundred of innocents for little to no reason" sounds like ASBR to me.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeUsername View Post

This looks awesome!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Hahaha I'm so glad I never got past the first issue of this book.
    I made it to the ridiculous moment with General Lane calling Supes out, put down the issue and said "that's it, I'm done."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    The book was really just as bad as we all predicted it would be on the old boards.
    It's amazing. We were all taking the piss out of Snyder's writing tics, and then the book came out and it was exactly like that. Arguably worse, we never thought Snyder would pin the Nagasaki bombing on an alien.

Last edited by LoneNecromancer; 06-17-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    It's amazing. We were all taking the piss out of Snyder's writing tics, and then the book came out and it was exactly like that. Arguably worse, we never thought Snyder would pin the Nagasaki bombing on an alien.
    It's a shame that all those proposed Snyder style metaphors you came up are now lost. They were amazing, especially the Green Lantern ones.

But there are few times when I can say a book features an alien bombing of Nagasaki, Jimmy Olsen as a supervillain and an obssessive fixation on metaphors all at the same time, so I'll give the book credit for not just mocking itself halfway through.

BANNED

It's a shame that all those proposed Snyder style metaphors you came up are now lost. They were amazing, especially the Green Lantern ones.

But there are few times when I can say a book features an alien bombing of Nagasaki, Jimmy Olsen as a supervillain and an obssessive fixation on metaphors all at the same time, so I'll give the book credit for not just mocking itself halfway through.
    Metaphors, so unchained probably is the favorite comic from Tumblr.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post

Still waiting for Snyder on Flash.
    That way, maybe we will learn that 9/11 was caused by Gorilla Grodd.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

BANNED

Bollocks, I don't remember them at all.

Hal would be ripe for a Snyder story to be honest. Plenty of dad issues that he could spend many a flashback recounting a story he was once told that somehow parallels the events of the issue, the story would obviously start with him returning to Earth feeling like a big shot and then discovering some great Green Lantern related secret that had been going on all this time, it's not like the GL lines are strangers to crossovers, nor is Hal a stranger to villains who mirror him in some way...

But there are few times when I can say a book features an alien bombing of Nagasaki,
    That's oversimplifying it. It's unclear but either the U.S. government used an atomic bomb and Wraith to bomb Japan and thus end World War II or only Wraith. In real life, America created weapons and used them on Japan in order to defeat it. In Unchained, America used weapons on Japan to defeat it. Wraith was only working on orders from the U.S. government. I fail to see why it's so problematic in the scope of a work of fiction to put a sci-fi twist on things like this. Even comic book stories like Captain America play around with history, particularly the WWII period. I get that maybe it's not your thing for some reason, but it hardly seems to qualify as some egregious error.

Jimmy Olsen as a supervillain
    He's not a supervillain. Lex Luthor kidnapped him and is going to use him somehow to kill Superman. What's wrong with that? I'd understand if Jimmy was introduced as never being just the earnest young newspaperman he usually is, and as just a supervillain by choice, but that's not what happened.

Last edited by misslane; 06-17-2014 at 02:23 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Still waiting for Snyder on Flash.
    That way, maybe we will learn that 9/11 was caused by Gorilla Grodd.
    Snyder was really keen on The Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It even sounds like the title of his Gorilla Grodd planned crossover.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    That's oversimplifying it. It's unclear but either the U.S. government used an atomic bomb and Wraith to bomb Japan and thus end World War II or only Wraith. In real life, America created weapons and used them on Japan in order to defeat it. In Unchained, America used weapons on Japan to defeat it. Wraith was only working on orders from the U.S. government. I fail to see why it's so problematic in the scope of a work of fiction to put a sci-fi twist on things like this. Even comic book stories like Captain America play around with history, particularly the WWII period. I get that maybe it's not your thing for some reason, but it hardly seems to qualify as some egregious error.

He's not a supervillain. Lex Luthor kidnapped him and is going to use him somehow to kill Superman. What's wrong with that? I'd understand if Jimmy was introduced as never being just the earnest young newspaperman he usually is, and as just a supervillain by choice, but that's not what happened.

well Jimmy is not that much different from Lois Lane in Doomed. he is being used by a villain, I can't say if it's much better than the Lois situation.

Conspiracy theory is conspiracy theory, we are reading comics,Not reading a history book. It's time to use it. who can say for sure what happened in Osaka, no one literally. I don't believe in it, but people imagination go far far away.Geez every chance people pick on Snyder writing, that is pretty much good.
    Last edited by Blacksun; 06-17-2014 at 02:30 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    That's oversimplifying it. It's said that the U.S. government used an atomic bomb and Wraith to bomb Japan and thus end World War II. In real life, America created weapons and used them on Japan in order to defeat it. In Unchained, America used weapons on Japan to defeat it. Wraith was only working on orders from the U.S. government. I fail to see why it's so problematic in the scope of a work of fiction to put a sci-fi twist on things like this. Even comic book stories like Captain America play around with history, particularly the WWII period. I get that maybe it's not your thing for some reason, but it hardly seems to qualify as some egregious error.
    It's a little bit insulting to turn a massive tragedy into essentially a showpiece to big up how powerful Wraith is and is then not even that important in the story.

And I'm not keen on Captain America either.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    well Jimmy is not that much different from Lois Lane in Doomed. he is being used by a villain, I can't say if it's much better than the Lois situation.
    I'm sure if one was interested in seeing Jimmy only as Jimmy, then it would suck. I'm ambivalent, because at least Jimmy's use here as a supervillain is temporary; the Lois situation is worse because her coma and possession has been over a year long dragged out storyline. In any case, I'm grateful that Snyder still gave us a wonderful scene with Jimmy and Clark talking about the newspaper biz in the first issue, and am hopeful that we'll see Lex's use of Jimmy as a supervillain fail and as well as another nice scene with the safe and benign Jimmy Olsen.

Conspiracy theory is conspiracy theory, we are reading comics,Not reading a history book. Geez every chance people pick on Snyder writing, that is pretty much good.
    Exactly, but I'll try to be open-minded so I can maybe understand a little better why a sci-fi twist on the Nagasaki bombing is so abhorrent to some.