Page 2 of 127 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Love me some Alpha Flight. I really hope marvel can get behind another attempt at an ongoing soon.
    X-Men Forever

Finally made it to this issue yesterday. Unfortunately, I wasn't feeling well and fell asleep before I could finish it. BLASHEPMY.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Those two and the "Completely Random Alpha Flight" softcover were done by David Banks of Single Bound Studios. Highly recommended! I had them commissioned back when it seemed like Marvel was never going to reprint the Byrne run of AF. Ah well. They still look good on the shelf.

Hardcover design:

Softcover design (the cover design is my fault, not Banks'):

I didn't even know this could be done!
    That is so awesome.

Aren't Alpha Flight due to show up in the next arc of Amazing X-Men? I'm pretty sure I saw that in the solicits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    Aren't Alpha Flight due to show up in the next arc of Amazing X-Men? I'm pretty sure I saw that in the solicits.
    Yes, that is what solicits say.
    And I cannot wait!

Spectacular Member dark phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    Kyle and Yosts first arc I believe and in the Ask Mike Marts thread, I asked if this was a try out for a possible new ongoing. Fingers crossed.
    "Cyclops was RIGHT!"

Quote Originally Posted by dark phoenix View Post
    Kyle and Yosts first arc I believe and in the Ask Mike Marts thread, I asked if this was a try out for a possible new ongoing. Fingers crossed.
    Did you send this question into Marts, or just post it in the thread?
    If you sent it into him, I hope he answers, and if he does, let us know.
    Because: YessssssyesYASSSSSSS. More Alpha Flight!!!!

Now I'm kind of stupidly excited.

Given that the last series bombed pretty badly just a couple of years ago, I don't think we'll be getting another iteration of Alpha Flight quite so soon. I am pleased that Marvel is keeping them a bit more active this time, though. Maybe the sales of v.4 taught them a lesson about what happens when you let your own IP be reduced to nothing more than a one-note joke.

Being a Canadian myself I would like to see the series return. Unfortunately there does not seem to be enough interest to make such a series do well.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Given that the last series bombed pretty badly just a couple of years ago, I don't think we'll be getting another iteration of Alpha Flight quite so soon. I am pleased that Marvel is keeping them a bit more active this time, though. Maybe the sales of v.4 taught them a lesson about what happens when you let your own IP be reduced to nothing more than a one-note joke.
    I don't know, last vol sent some pretty mixed signals. First it was a mini-series, than it was an ongoing, than it moved back to being a mini-series. I'm pretty sure there were motives beyond sales behind those commings and goings (maybe even the moving on of Dale Eaglesham as penciller may have impacted decisions). However, yeah, keep your IP in the public eye and treat them with respect is a good business practice.
    (I think another positive point is that Marvel is currently working on reviving other defunct teams such as New Warriors and the Invaders. It seems it doesn't have to be an Avengers World any longer. And normally I'm a huge Avengers fan).

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I don't know, last vol sent some pretty mixed signals. First it was a mini-series, than it was an ongoing, than it moved back to being a mini-series. I'm pretty sure there were motives beyond sales behind those commings and goings (maybe even the moving on of Dale Eaglesham as penciller may have impacted decisions). However, yeah, keep your IP in the public eye and treat them with respect is a good business practice.
    I'm still not seeing any reason why there would be a deeper motive than sales. Someone made a hasty call and someone holding the purse strings overrode him. Remember, the book only hit 40K in sales first issue because of double shipping and never stabilized from there. The sales decline only increased once the series lost the "Fear Itself" banner. That it got announced as an ongoing early on was a surprise even before Marvel went through a fairly public period of belt tightening, but that it was downgraded back to a miniseries after wasn't. Then you look at the collected sales. The first of two planned hardcovers sold so poorly that Marvel scrapped the second and just released the whole series as a fat paperback instead so they could try to wring a few more bucks out by forcing the die-hards buy the same material twice if they wanted the whole story.

What the charts said was that there aren't enough Alpha Flight fans out there willing to support an ongoing, and I doubt Marvel thinks two years have changed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Finally made it to this issue yesterday. Unfortunately, I wasn't feeling well and fell asleep before I could finish it. BLASHEPMY.
    I love Talisman! She is my favourite Alpha Flight character and should replace Shaman already. I loved that she was a focal character in Omega Flight but the rest of the cast sucked. I hope she appears in upcoming Amazing X-men arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Let us know what you think when you finish (and I hope you're feeling better). I love that issue.

Considering what Kyle and Yost are known for, I am very very afraid for them to write Alpha.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Sasquatch, Maddison Jeffries, and the Beaubiers are pretty rad, the rest I have little fondness for.

From the 4/25 Axel-in-Charge:

With the Toronto Raptors in the NBA playoffs for the first time since 2008, this question seems timely -- shellhead85 wants to know, "Any chance we'll see Alpha Flight popping up in the near future? I miss seeing Sasquatch, Guardian, Snowbird, and the rest of the gang…"

Alonso: Alpha Flight has been the subject of several discussions -- both here at the office and at the editorial retreats, Shellhead. While some very interesting ideas have emerged, nothing concrete has formed. That could change.
    That said, if the Raptors beat the [Brooklyn] Nets, who knows how I'll feel about green-lighting an "Alpha Flight" series? [Laughs]
    I hope Bendis wasn't allowed to contribute...