Page 53 of 127 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nevets View Post
    Another "From the beginning" summary, courtesy of David R on the old CBR:
    Alpha Flight #21

"Love Wrought New Alchemy"
    This cover lies. We never see Alpha Flight fight Diablo, that old villain from Fantastic Four. No, this issue mainly informs us of Gilded Lily's sordid past. How in 1875 she was a normal human female, riding in a motorized automobile in Transylvania with her first husband. (I do NOT believe automobiles were around in 1875.)
    He would be right. The year 1886 is regarded the year of birth of the modern automobile - with the Benz Patent-Motorwagen, by German inventor Karl Benz.

Diablo and Lily fall in love, Diablo is chased by town villagers and locked in a vault for the Fantastic Four to unlock him in FF #30. (Byrne loves connecting-the-dots in Marvel history.) Lily creates potions to give her immortality, so she can live with Diablo when he's freed. But subsequently, she turns "gold". She becomes "Gilded Lily" and hunts down each villager who imprisoned Diablo; turning each one to a gold statue. Sasquatch breaks out of his statue/prison, disrupts Gilded Lily's plans for Aurora. And Gilded Lily is revealed to be little more than a robot---her chest organs and an old, old face are the only organic parts. Sasquatch rips off her gold face-plate and Gilded Lily shrivels away. Aurora is rescued. All live happily ever after.
    Ah, this is the origin issue for her. Yeah. I think her being pretty much a robot is what undid it for me. I would have probably enjoyed it more, had she actually been a woman with a golden touch; living solely to be with Diabo. Her being mostly robotic just cheapens the issue.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

X-Men and Alpha Flight #2

"The Gift part 2"

The hugely-long finale to this memorable tale, as Charles Xavier's mutants and Canada's premiere super-team square off....with Gods and the fate of Earth hanging in the balance! It's another classic story, in a long line of classics. Though my favorite part is the end with Rachel Summers & Cyclops!

Rachel Summers is beside herself with grief. One, she's met her father, Cyclops, for the first time in our universe, and ran away rather than face him. Two, Scott's new wife, Madelyne Pryor, is pregnant..... with a boy!! Which means.....Rachel cannot exist. Or does she? Talisman and Shadowcat locate Rachel, crying and wanting to be left alone! Talisman finds a book, with several beautiful drawings of the very charmed city they are standing in. However, as the pages continue, the drawings become cruder, and finally downright amateurish. What gives? Meanwhile, Kitty talks Rachel out of her gloom, saying maybe her journey to *our past* might change the future for the better. Rachel starts to feel better. Soon, a cave-in begins to rock the place, and 3 female heroes run for their lives! Once they return to the main citadel, Kitty spies Madelyne Pryor--aka Anodyne-- sneaking out of Wolverine's room. Kitty enters and awakens Logan, who says that Adoyne burned off his berserker rage. For the first time, he is completely calm with no animal side of him! But Kitty reminds him that his berserker rage has saved their cans many times. Wolverine then remembers he was searching for Snowbird, sick and hiding in the mountains around them. Logan calls up Alphan Aurora and they race out into the snows, to find Narya. Find her Logan does, Snowbird curled up in a snow-cave, dying! Two of these "new gods" appear-- Pathfinder and Beastmaster. They plan to end Snowbird's life, and want her! Wolverine and Lockheed emerge from the cave, ready to brawl!!

Back in the main hall, Rogue is dressed in a very elegant dress, and asks Northstar to dance with her. Jean-Paul resists, but finally relents and they dance. Rogue says how she has never went to high school. Never went to the prom. This means a lot to her, and she laughs in delight! However, many of the heroes are wondering about the price being paid for their God-like powers. All magical characters present are dying--- Snowbird and Shaman. Soon, Wolverine bursts into the large chamber, carrying Beastmaster's bloodied body. Pathfinder is dead (!!) so Logan could protect dying Snowbird. Logan asks, "Is this the price asked for by this paradise?" Raised voices as the heroes begin to question this utopia. Sides are taken--those who are questioning this paradise of theirs---and the others who feel the sacrifice of a few is better for a paradise born on Earth. Colossus, Rachel Summers, Sasquatch, Anodyne, Puck and Aurora are those that feel the sacrifice of a few is worth it. Wolverine, Professor X, Kitty, Cyclops, Rogue, Talisman, Nightcrawler and Northstar in the group that feel this sacrifice is NOT worth deaths of innocents, and question continuing. Before you know it, X-Men and Alphans are fighting!!!

It is a wild and merry punch-'em-up!! Heroes and gods clash! But in the end, the God of Lies appears, LOKI ! Loki cannot believe his eyes! He has given them the tools for a paradise on Earth, and still, these misbegotten humans question it. So what if their individual creativity and dreams will be erased, as their transcendence to Gods seem to enhance their latent super-powers, but squashes creative freedom! Cyclops questions Loki the most fiercely (Way to go, Scott!) Loki conjures up the Snow Giants, to defeat his erstwhile enemies on the field of battle. Soon, all the mutants are in heated fisticuffs with these Snow Giants. The mutants defeat their opponents, but in the end, it is We Who Sit Above in Shadow, who stop Loki. Up in the dark, bright Canadian sky, five Gods appear, bathed in darkness. They are above the Gods as we humans are above the amoeba. They tell Loki he has failed; even in giving Earth it's dream of peace and tranquility, Loki fails by not allowing humans their right to creative expression. Loki argues but it is to no avail. These cosmic entities will have no more argument, and their "deal" with Loki is ended. Loki is furious, and takes back all the positive changes. Puck reverts back to a dwarf, Logan regains his berserker rage, Rogue cannot touch another soul, and so on. Loki vows revenge on We Who Sit Above in Shadow, and the Fire Fountain fades. Shaman and Snowbird are restored to health, and thank them all for saving them. The freezing winter storm hits the golden citadel, and the heroes rush to their plane to escape!

As heroes rush in, Professor Xavier realizes one is missing. Rachel Summers is not present, so Cyclops head back into the freezing metropolis to find her. Rachel is crouching down on the ground, doing something. Rachel cannot BELIEVE Cyclops is the one sent to find him---the last person she wants to face. Her emotions are in turmoil s Cyclops approaches and says:

Cyclops: I'm told you're from the future.
    Rachel: "A" future. We won't know if it's "THE" future...till we get there. And by then, it'll be too late. So why worry? My dad, he used to say...as long as you're alive, it's never too late."
    Cyclops: Did...your father...die in that future?
    Rachel: All the X-Men died.

Cyclops: You know, you remind me an awful lot of someone.
    Rachel: That good or bad?
    Cyclops: Good. She was very...dear to me. And when she died, all the light---the joy--went out of my life. A part of me will always miss her. I never imagined I'd ever be as happy---and fulfilled---again....until I met Madelyne. It isn't the same...but that doesn't mean it can't be as good. Or maybe even better.
    As Rachel holds Scott's arm, she says: My mom had a saying: everybody deserves a second chance.
    Cyclops: Smart lady.

And as X-Men & Alpha Flight depart, back in the crumbling fortress, a lone flower shines. Buried by Rachel, the beautiful rose, "a defiant patch of life amidst Loki's desolation. A reminder that humanity alone carries within itself the power to create paradise on Earth--on it's own terms, by it's own efforts---without the gifts or machinations of greedy Gods."

Alpha Flight #22

"Rub-Out"
    1st appearance: Pink Pearl, Clementine D' Arbanville, Bones
    I really liked this issue. And I think an opportunity to bring back Omega Flight, with Pink Pearl and Bones as members, was missed. I honestly thought that's what this was being set up for...

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Also, I totally forgot about your link, man! I'm sorry!!
    You should put that link in your signature so I don't have to search through 50 pages of thread for your post with it in it.
    Hah! It is in my signature, in a way! The signature has the Comic Relief Podcast website - and if you go there, it's right on the right side! But I was mostly just giving you a hard time! (Snowbird, anyone?)

Alpha Flight #23

"Night of the Beast"

1st appearance: Caliber

John Byrne's art hits new highs...as another shocker rips through Canada's super-group. Death seems to be a constant companion to Alpha Flight!

The issue opens with Snowbird, child of the Gods, being tortured by 3 of those selfsame Gods. Byrne's depiction of this scene is breathtaking! These Northern Gods say Narya has NOT done her job well, fighting off the Great Beasts, but Snowbird argues and says she has fought off each Beast which has emerged. But Hodiak, God of the Northern Lights, says wrong! Narya has not fought all the Beasts wherever they might appear---and a cloud-image arises looming eerily like a fellow Alphan! Snowbird now awakens from the nightmare, screaming and lying next to her beloved human lover, Douglas Thompson. Snowbird is beside herself with emotion, as she must now kill one of her closest friends. We now leap to another spot in Canada. As Puck, Talisman and Sasquatch's alter ego, Walt Langkowski, are discussing Heather Hudson's recent sighting of a man who looked like her dead husband. Talisman didn't see the man, but saw the look of disbelief in Heather's eyes. But there is NO WAY Guardian could have survived the blast! Aurora now swoops in and says a super-villain is on the rampage downtown. The heroes are on the attack!!

A bad guy named Caliber is shooting things up in Vancouver. Caliber is wearing a huge body suit of armor, and plans to exterminate the population of Vancouver if his demands are not met. They are not met...as Alpha Flight arrive and begin beating up on the erstwhile baddie. Again, John Byrne illustrates some beautiful work here. Sasquatch gets blasted in his right shoulder by Caliber's artillery-gun, and it hurts Sasquatch. But Caliber is not match for his physical strength, and Sasquatch smashes him away. Just as Sasquatch is hurting, Snowbird comes swooping in from the sky, in her owl form, and viciously rips into Sasquatch with her talons!! The other members are shocked, and stand in place, not knowing how to respond. Aurora leaps into action to aid her man, and grabs Snowbird off Walter. But then Sasquatch swats them both away. His whole demeanor has changed, and his voice. Walter Langkowski is apparently gone...and has been replaced by an evil Beast. Something's gone terribly wrong. What has happened to Sasquatch? Talisman senses magic, and tries to subdue him with her power. But this Sasquatch mocks her, as being a novice in the ways of magic, and sends her power straight back on her.

Snowbird informs Puck that Walter Langkowski tapped into a Great Beast when he transformed himself into Sasquatch. Somehow, Walt's controlled nuclear experiment bridged a barrier momentarily into the barrier that holds the Beasts. And Walt assumed the physical body of one of them! Walt was able to control the Beast (as Sasquatch) but slowly, the real Beast has been taking control. And now the Great Beast itself is in complete control of Sasquatch's body! Snowbird feels there is only one way to stop Sasquatch. Narya transforms into a white version of Sasquatch, and a heated and ferocious battle ensues between the two Beasts. Blow by blow they are matched up. In the end, Snowbird's Beast smashes down Sasquatch...and rips out his living heart!! Sasquatch immediately reverts to the body of Walter Langkowski, who falls dead to the ground. Aurora runs to him in hysterics!The rest of Alpha Flight stand stunned. Snowbird replies the Great Beast is gone, and so is the soul of Langkowski. But they can still save his soul. But only if they are willing to venture into realms where evil holds eternal mastery. Into the Kingdom of the Beasts!

Yes, she really did go away. I think because my first introduction to Heather was as the tough leader (not murderous) that means I never missed the gentle one from early issues. I obviously read them later, but she was the one who didn't feel right to me. I know that's just because of my personal experience.
    Oh yeah! I remember you mentioned that in this thread before - and I said it was true - it depends on where you jump in on a comic, what version of a character you read and enjoy! For example, someone who began reading and loving Uncanny X-Men, might love this current version of Cyclops - but I loathe it.

It's time for one of my favorite limited series of all time!
    X-Men and Alpha Flight #1

[B]"The Gift"
    This was just pure gold.

Alpha Flight #23

"Night of the Beast"
    1st appearance: Caliber
    I am torn by this issue. First, it's a GREAT concept that Walter is actually trapped inside one of the Great Beasts - and that his transformation is more supernatural, rather than experimental. But - with Mac having just died, and then Snowbird killing Sasquatch - it seemed to set up a pattern (even though Byrne clearly had a plan with this one, what he was going to do) - I still feel it set a pattern because it happened too soon after Mac's own demise.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Oh yeah! I remember you mentioned that in this thread before - and I said it was true - it depends on where you jump in on a comic, what version of a character you read and enjoy! For example, someone who began reading and loving Uncanny X-Men, might love this current version of Cyclops - but I loathe it.
    Very good point. I loath current Cyclops too, lol.

This was just pure gold.
    I really can't describe how much I love this mini.

Alpha Flight #24

"Final Conflict"

1st appearance: Somon, Kariooq the Corrupter

Sasquatch is dead. Alpha Flight are shocked, but Snowbird says there is a way to save Walter. They must descend to the Realm of the Beasts, where they can locate his soul.The Beasts reside here....there chances of success are slim. Who better but Alpha Flight to do the job, in this double-sized tour de force?

Heather Hudson, Puck, Shaman, Talisman, Snowbird and Aurora have journeyed to the "Eye of the World". It resembles the landscape of the moon. They have the body of Walter Langkowski...now turned into a statue. His soul is gone, in #23, and Snowbird (Walt's killer!) says his soul resides in the Realm of the Beasts. An anguished Aurora doesn't really trust Narya. Northstar soon arrives, sensing a summoning to come. Aurora punches him cold in the face at his arrival. Jean-Paul is outraged and turns to leave. But Snowbird *wishes* him to stay, and finishes their mission. Northstar stops in his tracks, ready to obey her. It is agreed that Heather will remain here, as she has no super-powers. She will watch over Langkowski's form. Shaman now pulls a long "key" from his magical medicine bag. Shaman holds it upright, and it emanates tremendous power. Alpha Flight take the journey to the Realm of the Beast!!!

After a psychedelic journey, they arrive on the dead planet. The artwork for this planet is all black-and-white. (Not sure why this was done, except to save time coloring.) A huge, gigantic city of towers and large structures stands before Alpha Flight. Shaman announces "Behold my friends! The Realm of the Beasts!!" The flying members take off and scout over the city. Not a soul is found. The Great Beasts 3 times had tried to enter Earth, and each time beaten back by heroic forces. They were ultimately exiled to this dead world. Soon, Alpha finds Somon, the oldest and most mortal of the Beasts. (He is the figure appearing on the cover.) Snowbird confronts, threatening to destroy him if he doesn't help them. Somon hits her with his staff, but Narya is not impressed. Somon then shows her his power....as he summons the return of Tundra, the massive monstrosity from AF #1. Also, summoned the ground, is a giant green beast named Kariooq the Corrupter. Also fire erupts around Alpha Flight, from Tolamaq the Fire Beast. The team run for cover.

The Beast Somon, much smaller than the other monsters, is not threatened by Snowbird. She thus transforms into a polar bear, and though Somon tries to control her, he fails and she lashes out at him with animal ferocity. As Somon's attention is divided, Tundra and Kariooq seem to change, and attack one another. Somon's ancient control of them is ended, and old hatreds return. The rest of Alpha locate Snowbird and Shaman orders her to stop attacking Somon. Somon timidly agrees to help them locate Sasquatch's soul. He takes them to the Well of Sorrows,where the soul of Walt Langkowski is residing. Only one who loves Walter (Aurora), one who hates him (Northstar) and one most powerful (Talisman) may enter the Well of Sorrows to find the soul. The 3 heroes step on the forboding steps and wander down into a dark hold in the ground. However, to their shock & horror, it is a TRAP!! As Somon's ghostly apparition appears in the darkness, and stabs the 3 Alphans with his claws. Up above, Snowbird flinches, sensing the death of Aurora, Talisman and Northstar. Snowbird turns on Somon, standing there innocently. Somon laughs and says he HAS deceived them. Snowbird ends his life by thrusting her hand through is chest!! Shaman summons the bodies of their fallen comrades out of the hold and back to the surface.

All 3 are indeed, terminal. But then above them, a large energy sphere appears and shoots down energy to the dead ones. The energy sphere is Walt Langkowski's soul, and it is giving a portion of itself to save them. It works, as Aurora, Northstar and Talisman are revived. Shaman sees the shrinking energy sphere for what it is: Sasquatch's soul. He encases it and Alpha Flight return to Earth, using Shaman's magics. They find Heather still there, having been joined by the robotic Box. To their dismay, Walt's statue-body has crumbled away, leaving no body left for his wandering soul. Shaman makes an instant decision to send Walt's soul into the robotic body of Box. Box's creator, Roger Bochs, vacates the robot, and Shaman sends Walt's soul into Box.The transfer works. Walt Langkowski is saved!! Though his body died, he remains inside this robot (Robbie the Robot jokes spring to mind.) Aurora is overjoyed! It is at this moment that Snowbird announces her mission was to destroy the Great Beasts. This task has been completed, as the Somon is dead and the Beasts are broken up. Snowbird's time on Earth is done.

The issue ends with Heather Hudson meeting with Douglas Thompson, the man who loves Snowbird. Heather informs him of Alpha Flight's recent mission, and Snowbird's part in it. The adventure ended with Snowbird announcing she was returning to her Gods, and leaving our earthly plane. Douglas is saddened by this news, and his loss. Heather says she knows about loss herself. After Heather leaves his house, Snowbird appears from a bedroom. Narya is sorry that Douglas had to lie for her. But she has been on this Earth for a short time. She has been a hero and a God. Now, she wants to be a.....woman! And she kisses Douglas passionately.

I am torn by this issue. First, it's a GREAT concept that Walter is actually trapped inside one of the Great Beasts - and that his transformation is more supernatural, rather than experimental. But - with Mac having just died, and then Snowbird killing Sasquatch - it seemed to set up a pattern (even though Byrne clearly had a plan with this one, what he was going to do) - I still feel it set a pattern because it happened too soon after Mac's own demise.
    I could definitely see that kind of pattern forming, and apparently continues to this day!

I really really like Sasquatch being mystical/a great beast so much more than a Hulk copy. Such a great character choice.

Ultimate Member

I really really like Sasquatch being mystical/a great beast so much more than a Hulk copy. Such a great character choice.
    It was later played up during the Exiles, to great effect.

spoilers:
    On a world that had been magically subjugated by Kulan Gath, who had bound the demon Zarathos (the power behind the Ghost Rider) as his enforcer, the Exiles, including a version of Heather Hudson, who is the Sasquatch of her universe, are defeated, and Heather, who has avoided transforming into Sasquatch because of control issues lowers her head and says, 'I surrender.' Zarathos laughs and says that surrender was not an option, that they were going to kill everyone anyway, and she says to him, 'I wasn't talking to you.'

She'd just surrendered to the Great Beast she'd been fighting all those years, who immediately takes control and beats the crap out of everyone! Zarathos is all 'demon lord!' and Tanaraq is like, 'god!' and smashes him to bony fragments! Tragic, since it's the end of that Heather Hudson, and yet kind of badass that she's pretty much saved a world from magical demon badness in the process of saying 'I surrender.'
    end of spoilers

Very good point. I loath current Cyclops too, lol.
    And I certainly do not blame you.

RE: X-Men/Alpha Flight - The Gift #1
    I really can't describe how much I love this mini.
    I couldn't agree more. The whole thing was just really well done.

Alpha Flight #24

"Final Conflict"
    1st appearance: Somon, Kariooq the Corrupter
    More Great Beasts? Yes, please!

After a psychedelic journey, they arrive on the dead planet. The artwork for this planet is all black-and-white. (Not sure why this was done, except to save time coloring.)
    I know you didn't write this Nev, but I feel I have an answer. To me, the entire planet was drawn black and white to show it lacked any form of color or life. There was no joy. No color. Nothing inspiring. Just black and white. Everywhere. It creates a sense of despair, I feel.

As Somon's ghostly apparition appears in the darkness, and stabs the 3 Alphans with his claws. Up above, Snowbird flinches, sensing the death of Aurora, Talisman and Northstar. Snowbird turns on Somon, standing there innocently. Somon laughs and says he HAS deceived them. Snowbird ends his life by thrusting her hand through is chest!! Shaman summons the bodies of their fallen comrades out of the hold and back to the surface.
    Again, Alpha Flight dies. Once again, Byrne has a plan, but there's a steady pattern being shown here...

After Heather leaves his house, Snowbird appears from a bedroom. Narya is sorry that Douglas had to lie for her. But she has been on this Earth for a short time. She has been a hero and a God. Now, she wants to be a.....woman! And she kisses Douglas passionately.
    This is the party Cold Water was talking about.

Many eons ago (we're talking over 12 years ago!) back in 2002, I started a thing called "Alternate Marvel." It was a shared universe, that pretty much asked, "What if the heroes had defeated Onslaught and Heroes Reborn never happened?" (I hated Heroes Reborn!) I pulled some people who I knew were fanfic writers, and then had them recruit some people as well - and we started writing after we hammered out who lives, who dies, in the Onslaught battle - and then, we used eGroups (now Yahoo Groups) to talk about each of our titles, so we could reference one another's work and went on to write our stories. I wrote several - I wrote Uncanny X-Men for many years; as well as Defenders; a Starjammers Limited Series (two or three of them), and even did two Alpha Flight limited series stuff. My attempt to "fix" Alpha Flight from being broken - but one of the elements I used, was Walter in Tarnaq's body. If you're ever, extremely bored, you can read it on AlphaFlight.net. I cringe reading it these days - so many things I would do different, in terms of my writing style, because it's changed and grown... but I am still pretty proud of the stories I told, and how passionate I was to "fix" Alpha Flight (at least how I thought it should be fixed).

I don't suspect you of Anti-Snowbird! I KNOW!

No, I kid - but I was sincerely explaining what I took away from what she meant when she said that. She did not have a childhood to develop as a woman. She went from infant, to teen, to adult in a matter of months, if I remember correctly. And she, if I remember, didn't have much human connection (or humanity). So I think she was honestly turning to someone she trusted to show her what it was like to be a woman.
    You love Snowbird, and while I really, really LIKE Snowbird, she's not my absolute favorite Alphan. But I DO like her a lot.
    And I understand why you saw it this way.

I just chalked it up to the fact that weird ass things are written in comics ALL THE TIME. Skeevy things. Or things that just make you think "Wtf???" when you read them. It happens to just about every single character, and MOST writers have written in a "Wtf?" moment or few into their stories.
    This was one of those moments for me that made me think "WTF, Byrne? Why?".
    But after reading Mantlo's AF run, one thing it has reminded me is that even with my favorite characters, these are stories of ups and downs. The flow of it can be trying and tiring as a reader, but I even managed to pull a few good things from Mantlo's run (as you know).
    And that is as philosophical and thoughtful as I'm going to get about this before my coffee kicks in.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

These guys were my introduction to Alpha Flight.

Really enjoyed that short lived series.
    It's a pity that Radius and Flex were never really used again.
    Trying to catch up on 2 years of Marvel comics.....
    Comic Book Parody - Funny comic book stuff.
    X-Men: Drama of the Atom - An unfinished Battle of the Atom parody.