Page 6 of 127 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Wait. Did the thing with Mac happen in issue one?
    I will have to go back and read it. SO MUCH was crammed into the first few issues, so much going back and forth, that it took me a while of reading the series before I could start actually remembering what happened with which character to make me actually remember that character's story.
    I freaking love this series.
    And it's made me really like Northstar a LOT.
    Even if Amazing X-Men goes downhill as far as Nightcrawler is concerned, I'd still read it for Northstar's involvement (he stays in the book, yes?).
    Nah, it's issue #10 with JP's origin story. I've got a couple of the relevant scans here.

I guess I should add that I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that Mac did intend to out Northstar as a mutant or as homosexual. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have, given what a boyscout he could be. My thought is that he was working with the leverage he had on hand and was hoping that it would be a stick then carrot approach, with Northstar coming around to his way of thinking once Mac got an opening in by unsettling him. Maybe Mac was even thinking there would be some gratitude involved for letting him know he was a Beaubier. But given that JP gave zero fucks about his actual parentage and was utterly unintimidated by Dept H, Mac's digging expedition, or anything else, it was exactly the wrong approach to take.

He was kind of a jerk not to give Jeanne-Marie warning that her brother was coming, though.

And Northstar is supposed to be in at least the next arc of Amazing, yes.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 05-05-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Nah, it's issue #10 with JP's origin story. I've got a couple of the relevant scans here.

I guess I should add that I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that Mac did intend to out Northstar as a mutant or as homosexual. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have, given what a boyscout he could be. My thought is that he was working with the leverage he had on hand and was hoping that it would be a stick then carrot approach, with Northstar coming around to his way of thinking once Mac got an opening in by unsettling him. Maybe Mac was even thinking there would be some gratitude involved for letting him know he was a Beaubier. But given that JP gave zero fucks about his actual parentage and was utterly unintimidated by Dept H, Mac's digging expedition, or anything else, it was exactly the wrong approach to take.

He was kind of a jerk not to give Jeanne-Marie warning that her brother was coming, though.

And Northstar is supposed to be in at least the next arc of Amazing, yes.
    OH!
    I remember that now.
    Der.
    I don't know WHY I didn't view it as a big deal when I read it. Maybe I had on my Mac blinders. I have too much of a soft spot for him, especially with the creepy way Heather stalked him in the beginning and just showed up at his house and suggested marriage then and there.
    Comic quirks.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Funny you should mention that. Here's Heather's reaction when Northstar gets brainwashed and abducted by a newly-manifested mutant who commanded him to be her boyfriend:

Not exactly a moment that endeared the team to him.
    What the fk. That bitch.

(and her hips look terrible in that unitard. Mac wore it best.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
    What the fk. That bitch.

Oh, Mac had his moments of WTF-ery as well (see my notes above on the Beaubier twin situation). And there was the time he had members of the original team implanted with tracking devices and apparently didn't bother to tell any of them...

It's also worth pointing out that Bill Mantlo wrote both Heather's rape joke and Mac's privacy invasions. My opinion of his time on Alpha Flight has always been that he never really got the team and ultimately didn't do very well by them.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 05-06-2014 at 12:45 AM.

Hahahaha! @Syn.

Also: where is Adam-X?
    I need my Adam-X.
    I am here! I couldn't figure out why I couldn't log on. So I gave up. Wrote an email to the admin and was informed, the forums got reset. That's a bummer. A lot of great threads got wiped.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    I am here! I couldn't figure out why I couldn't log on. So I gave up. Wrote an email to the admin and was informed, the forums got reset. That's a bummer. A lot of great threads got wiped.
    Welcome back!

Apparently the old forum posts are available to salvage for another week if there's anything we absolutely can't live without, but yes. Suck.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 05-06-2014 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    ADAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You found us! I am so glad.

You should put your statues up again. YAY!!! You're HERE!
    SOHAPPY.

Oh, Mac had his moments of WTF-ery as well (see my notes above on the Beaubier twin situation). And there was the time he had members of the original team implanted with tracking devices and apparently didn't bother to tell any of them...
    Yes, but I still adore him.

It's also worth pointing out that Bill Mantlo wrote both Heather's rape joke and Mac's privacy invasions. My opinion of his time on Alpha Flight has always been that he never really got the team and ultimately didn't do very well by them.
    ggggrrrrrreeeeaaattttt, that's exactly what I want to hear. Being as I just finished Byrne's run, and now I am going to start Mantlo's next.

But I am obsessed with this team. So, I'm not sure that even bad points in the book will stop me from reading them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
    What the fk. That bitch.

Hi, Ravyn.

And, yes, Heather's looking a bit lumpy, isn't she?

Love your avatar.

ggggrrrrrreeeeaaattttt, that's exactly what I want to hear. Being as I just finished Byrne's run, and now I am going to start Mantlo's next.

But I am obsessed with this team. So, I'm not sure that even bad points in the book will stop me from reading them.
    It's situations like these that brought about terms like 'personal canon'.

It's situations like these that brought about terms like 'personal canon'.
    When can I expect Mac to return as Mac?
    You can tell me, you won't spoil anything. Please?

When can I expect Mac to return as Mac?
    You can tell me, you won't spoil anything. Please?
    Not until very near the end of volume 1, probably about 80-90 issues from where you are right now.

Not until very near the end of volume 1, probably about 80-90 issues from where you are right now.
    Wtf. Is it an epic comeback? Is he awesome when he comes back and rejoins the team (assuming he rejoins immediately upon his return)?

Wtf. Is it an epic comeback? Is he awesome when he comes back and rejoins the team (assuming he rejoins immediately upon his return)?
    Not entirely sure how to answer that one, because even after the bonafide Mac Hudson returns, there are a couple of false starts. But there are some epic-scale moments, at least?

Not entirely sure how to answer that one, because even after the bonafide Mac Hudson returns, there are a couple of false starts. But there are some epic-scale moments, at least?
    Is it a happy reunion? And he DOES come back AS Mac, yes? Not as a robot, alien, or some other thing that isn't really him, yes?