Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Let's go living in the past

Do people who post on comics message boards tend to live in a distant past that comics publishers don't care about?

What do you think?

ummm yea they do. Not only that, they typically care about stuff that 90% of comic readers, not just publishers, could not care less about.

Is this supposed to be directed at people you don't agree with?

BANNED

A great many comics readers just show up at the shop and pick stuff off the shelves where the cover or the poster on the wall attracts them.

Another huge group might have a pull list, but they don't get on comics websites. They have no idea what is going on behind the scenes or what is coming up beyond what they see in Previews (if then).

I think most of these people don't give a flip about the past.

I think a certain percentage of comic book buyers / writers / artists / etc. fondly remember the comic books of the past and still read them partly out of nostalgia.

Maybe it would be great if all those people stopped buying any new comic books so the publishers could find out what percent of the readership that actually is / was.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Is this supposed to be directed at people you don't agree with?

Only those of us with time machines, presumably, so we can live in the past, but still read today's posts.

And, now I realize I've wasted this having a time machine completely. So many dinosaurs I could have seen, but no, I had to jump forward in time and read CBR.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Only those of us with time machines, presumably, so we can live in the past, but still read today's posts.

And, now I realize I've wasted this having a time machine completely. So many dinosaurs I could have seen, but no, I had to jump forward in time and read CBR.
    Ah man what a waste.

Boisterously Confused

There's some of that, sure. It's probably more accurate to say that boards like CBR attract a highly engaged group of fans from an array of preferences, so they tend to be intense about their opinions. Rubbing them together is bound to produce not only sparks, but the digging of bunkers about their positions.

In some ways that's good. In others, ...

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

There probably are a number of people on here like that, yeah. That's up to them though isn't it? As long as they don't try and come across as 'better' than everyone else.

Nostalgia is a part of human life Trey. It doesn't affect me personally in relation to comic-books but it pisses me off no end that we aren't still in the 1970's musically.

Do the comic-book companies care? Probably, but it's one thing to respect history and quite another to be stuck there permanently. No publisher wants to be TOO beholden to the past.

People who want or demand DC to go back to Pre-Flashpoint are the problem and DC is also at fault for half-stepping. No one continuity should come back but the essence/style can be revived for better story telling. Golden Age Earth does not need to come back but Earth 2 should at the very least capture the spirit of that Earth instead of look like an elseworld.

For earth 2, I prefer an earth 2 with Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince.

I think people who go to message boards are just more likely to be aware of the history of comics and the industry. Where casual readers are more likely to be just concerned with more recent events and more immediate changes, the fans who go through the trouble of posting on boards tend to think farther back and farther ahead in scope.

But then that's probably true of any entertainment medium and the boards dedicated to them.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Do people who post on comics message boards tend to live in a distant past that comics publishers don't care about?

What do you think?
    I think, as a general rule, that just about all readers care more about any past story than the publishers do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post

What do you think?

Of course they do. Being on this site and any other site is proof. I'm sorry, can't live in the past. I'm all about the now. I don't think I've ever been nostalgic about anything.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I think that.... ah, nevermind.

This discussion is gonna go like this: 1 snarky comment per page, and 14 completely individual opinions. Until page 3, where all those individual opinions will be lumped in 2 camps, and attacks will be made to "a certain type of comic fan", because that theoretically describes every single person in the other (imaginary) camp.

All of this will be illustrated by blanket statements about what the "majority" wants (with absolutely no means to determine who the majority is or isn't), incomplete sales numbers with no context to prove a point,. selective quotes by editorial figures, while everything else ever said by the same figures go ignored, etc.

I'm getting too old for this ****.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!