Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I think it's a thing that can
    There are a lot of people who seem super locked to versions of characters from BtAS, though, and I feel a bit left out even though I'm sure I watched most of it at the time. It was just another cartoon for me, it's Ivy or Ra's al Ghul, it's Batman and Alfred just don't seem remotely definitive or remarkable to me, but for those it reached and hooked, they are the definitive and probably the best. Whereas, I came to Batman, first, with Year One, and while I may be persuaded Miller's Batman is the best, I don't he's the definitive Batman, at all, but a particularly idiosyncratic take.
    I'm in the same boat with BTAS. I feel it is vastly overrated. It sure seemed awesome at the time (in part since we hadn't had a batman cartoon in 20 years...) but it really is a rather simplistic take. I was very excited when it came out on dvd and rushed out to grab that first volume... but there's only SO much that they can squeeze into a 20 minute episode. Most of the character development, the mystery solving... just wasn't there like I remembered it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    I don't buy into the notion that being beholden to past portrayals is inherently a bad thing. On one hand, one could argue that wanting characters to remain static stifles character growth and gives into stagnation for a series. On the other hand, logical development of a characters (and the universe by extension) is important to fans as it gives them something to invest in not only for the current story they're reading, but any that follow it in the future.
    There's a difference - as I think you're indicating - between being a fan of consistency and continuity (f that's what we're talking about) and having the characters remain static. I like characters changing over time, but I particularly like it if its a reasonable outgrowth of their experiences and previous history.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

BANNED

I like to discuss stories that are 20 years old or more. Just not the same ones every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I like to discuss stories that are 20 years old or more. Just not the same ones every day.
    I don't think that's a very prevalent situation around here . . . except in your mind.

BANNED

Hahahahahaha....thanks everybody.

I enjoy looking at both new art and old art like this old jla art by dick dillin :
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/594571.../in/datetaken/

I actually think that "average" contributor to these boards concentrates a bit too much on very latest comics.

Look at threads when a newcomer asks for advice on which comics to read. Large majority of advice given is how best to get to point where current comics can be read, and which current series should be followed.

That wouldn't be the typical advice in any other reading genre...there the advice would primarily be about outstanding past stories.

And actually...concentrating on outstanding past stories makes as much sense in following comics (assuming reading reading enjoyment is the aim) as in any other genre. Let's be honest only a small fraction of today's output is as good as the best series of yesteryear.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 11-26-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Look at threads when a newcomer asks for advice on which comics to read. Large majority of advice given is how best to get to point where current comics can be read, and which current series should be followed.

That wouldn't be the typical advice in any other reading genre...there the advice would primarily be about outstanding past stories.
    For entirely selfish reasons, I'm glad you said this. I feel fairly stupid sometimes for recommending twenty or forty year old comics when someone asks "what ____ comics should I read" whether it's a character or a genre, because generally I'm out of step with the slipstream of recent releases that are thrown about (and one or two evergreens, if it's Batman).
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

For entirely selfish reasons, I'm glad you said this. I feel fairly stupid sometimes for recommending twenty or forty year old comics when someone asks "what ____ comics should I read" whether it's a character or a genre, because generally I'm out of step with the slipstream of recent releases that are thrown about (and one or two evergreens, if it's Batman).
    While the older material is good, for a newcomer I often focus more on newer material because that's the stuff that may have attracted them in the first place and is easier to get copies of if they don't want to invest in more expensive tpb or hardcover collections before they get a better feel. (However, if they ask "Where should I start?", then I'm just as likely to recommend Golden Age and Silver Age stories that are conveniently collected.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    While the older material is good, for a newcomer I often focus more on newer material because that's the stuff that may have attracted them in the first place and is easier to get copies of if they don't want to invest in more expensive tpb or hardcover collections before they get a better feel. (However, if they ask "Where should I start?", then I'm just as likely to recommend Golden Age and Silver Age stories that are conveniently collected.)
    I wonder, though, if that's true of newcomers who like everything new.

I've always been a "back issue" and reprint person much more than a new comics guy. But, then, I don't do new-first with tv, movies, novels...

I don't think it is true of everyone, or even primarily true. But, it is definitely true within comics circles. Within comics fandom, the monthlies, that month, are the thing.

(And, collections cost between two to four times what a new issue costs, any more, unless it's a hardcover omnibus.)
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I would usually recommend back issues over new comics since they're often half the price, if not even less, than the cost of one new comic.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

BANNED

DC has made all the money it's going to make out of COIE and most other old stories. That's why it doesn't care about them.

DC has made all the money it's going to make out of COIE and most other old stories. That's why it doesn't care about them.
    COIE. (Wait, does it still work if you say it first?)

Isn't Crisis still in print?

COIE. (Wait, does it still work if you say it first?)

Isn't Crisis still in print?
    COIE.
    Yes it is.

And isn't DK3 a (yet another) sequel milking the success of DKR?
    And wasn't Before Watchmen designed to milk the success of Watchmen..?
    Both of which are not only throwbacks to comics from the '80s but were/are also published after DC's New52 reboot...
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-26-2015 at 09:54 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

If that were true would it matter anyway?

You're surely not suggesting that readers should be expected to buy stuff specifically to maximise DC's profits?

Do you resolutely refuse to take anything out of library because "DC won't make any money out of me"?