Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Default Help getting into Legion of Superheroes

I've been a comic reader for a while now but nver dared enter LoSH territory. They're notoriously hard to get into so I thought I'd ask for some advice. Where can I best start? I'm not a big fan of pre-80s though I sometimes enjoy certain 70s comics. I don't want to start with Great Darkness saga as that seems to me like a story that gets better the nore you know about the Legion (but I could be wrong of course). Any good collected editions I can pick up? Help is much appreciated
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I recommend the following:

Showcase Presents: Legion of Super-heroes: Some awesome 60's Silver Age fun. I highly recommend so you can read about the zany roots of many of the Legionnaires.

Legion of Super-heroes v2(1980): #284-313 (the beginning of the fantastic Paul Levitz run, includes the famous Great Darkness Saga)

Legion of Super-heroes v3(1984): #1-63 (the continuation of the Levitz/Giffen run in the Baxter series, some great stories like the battle vs the Time Trapper and the Magic Wars at the end of the series. Greg LaRocque and Steve Lightle also provide great art on the series.)

Legion of Super-heroes v4(1989): #1-12 (the Giffen/Bierbaum era is a mixed bag for me; I like the first 12 issues a lot but hate most of everything after that so it's up to you if you like it or not as it's not everyone's cup of tea. An apt analogy to describe this would be the "Watchmen" version of the Legion)

Legion Lost: #1-12 (This was a fantastic story and great setup for the DnA run on "The Legion". The ending is one of the best moments in Legion history)

The Legion: #1-33 (I thought the DnA run was great, barring a few hiccups here and there. Most people found the stuff after "Jarth" to be pretty bad, but I thought DnA made the best of it.)

In closing, I think the Waid "Threeboot"(LoSH #v5) is an abomination and don't recommend it all. Also, the remainder of LoSH v4 and it's sister series Legionnaires jump between stories until the DnA era so you would need to pick up both series to get the full stories from the post Zero Hour Legion, but they are really fun and I recommend them too.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 02-10-2015 at 01:12 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

You've come to the right place. I'd suggest the Abnett and Lanning run. You can either just right to the Legion Lost miniseries (which is perfection) or start with the Legion of the Damned, collected in Legion of Superheroes special form 2011, then Legion 124 -125 and Legionnaires 78 on comixology. They give some good background, and are good all around stories, but are not essential. If you like LL, you can follow it up with the Legion Worlds miniseries, and the Legion ongoing series, which lasted 38 issues. I love it, and I hope you do too.
    Cyclops was right

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Is it possible to start with Showcase Presents 4 or 5? I really like the artists involved (especially Grell).

I think I'm going start with the Great Darkness saga and the Curse tpb's, that DnA special and Legion Lost (and maybe the Showcase presents volumes).

Thanks!
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Is it possible to start with Showcase Presents 4 or 5? I really like the artists involved (especially Grell).

I think I'm going start with the Great Darkness saga and the Curse tpb's, that DnA special and Legion Lost (and maybe the Showcase presents volumes).

Thanks!
    That's not a bad place to start, though you have to do some outside reading on Wikis or Comic Vine on some characters or events that preceded those stories, such as the deaths of Ferro Lad and Invisible Kid and the creation of Computo.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

I highly recommend the "5 Years Later" run by Keith Giffen. Probably one of the best runs ever. I'd cherry pick certain arcs prior to that like the Magic Wars and the Great Darkness saga.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post

Thanks!
    TPB-wise, I think you are picking the best options. Basically what I was about to recommend. TGDS and the Curse TPB's are easy enough to find, and trust me, there is enough material before the actual GDS in the fisrt TPB to actually give you an idea of who's who in the Legion. The Legion Lost is also one of the best Legion stories ever (with my favorite version of the team. This is the only thing that may confuse you. The Legion has been though more than a couple of reboots, so there are different versions of the team. This story, however, is perfectly enjoyable as an imaginary story, if you so wish, since it is fairly selfcontained). As for the showcase, 4 still has some stories that may seem kind of camp by today's standards, but it ends on a high note with Bates and Cockrum, who really started to give an edge to the Legion. Vol. 5 picks it up from there. If you like those, there are some other TPBs that can put you more up to date with the various versions of the Legion (though some may be harder to find).

Peace

What are the recommended reading for Cosmic Boy?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I highly recommend the "5 Years Later" run by Keith Giffen. Probably one of the best runs ever. I'd cherry pick certain arcs prior to that like the Magic Wars and the Great Darkness saga.
    I love the "5 Years Latter ...." run and it is one of my top 3 Legion runs of all time, but I would not suggest someone start there. Yes it can be read and enjoyed on its own, but it is just so much better if you have some Legion knowledge going in so you can see just how layered Giffen and the Bierbaums made that run.

Besides the Great Darkness and the Curse collections which do give you a lot of stories there are not a lot of other trades collecting that era of the Legion which is just inexcusable on DC's part. So much Legion material is not collected from the first Levitz run, the "baxter" series, the 5 Year Latter, and the 1st reboot era that it is just sad. To make it worse the one era that is completly collected in trades is Waids "Threeboot" era and the modern era which are by and large the weakest of all the Legions runs. It is just sad.

There are two trades that collects the start of the new series that Levitz and Giffen relaunched after that initial run. Those trades collect the Legion/Legion of Supervillains War.

Legion of Superheroes: An Eye for and Eye (issues 1-6)
    Legion of Superheroes: The More Things Change (issues 7-13)
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 11-26-2015 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by genesis_pig View Post
    What are the recommended reading for Cosmic Boy?
    • Cosmic Boy mini-series
    • LoSH v2 #297
    • LoSH v4 (5YL Legion)
    • Legion Worlds #3

LOSH books are the most consistent DC comics to me, outside of New52 I rarely have come across anything terrible.

The amount of characters can be overwhelming, but the stories are freaking awesome.

Astonishing Member

Which issues are most focused on XS?

Any issues where other speedsters guest star? Is Impulse's guest appearance in #100 of the 1990s series accessible, or part of a longer storyline?

One of the legionnaires annuals stars XS :
    http://www.comics.org/issue/247064/cover/4/

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Which issues are most focused on XS?

Any issues where other speedsters guest star? Is Impulse's guest appearance in #100 of the 1990s series accessible, or part of a longer storyline?
    Legionnaires Annual #3. It was a total XS issue dealing with her getting back home after spending time in the past when she was hanging around with Bart and Wally. There is also a trade that collects the first 6 or 8 issues of the reboot Legion called Legion of Superheroes: The Beginning of Tommorow that has her first apperance and her first mission with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    In closing, I think the Waid "Threeboot"(LoSH #v5) is an abomination and don't recommend it all. .
    The threeboot is my legion. It was one of the first books I ever picked up. It is amazing how much the message of that first issue has come true. Not sure if it was as true then but if you look at the world now it is even more so.