Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

The identical thread is in the film/media section, but for me, CATWS. The acting, story, action and FX were eons better than XMDOFP. CATWS took the source material and ran with it. All of the characters were in character and everyone brought their all. In fact, as much as I still love the original WS storyline, I liked elements of the WS tweak better here than in the comic. This was exciting.

XMDOFP was an utter mess plot-wise and film-wise. Not just because the cool new characters were killed, but many of the actors simply phoned it in. And you could call a lot of the actions immediately. It killed my interest in X-Men films as long as Fox and Singer are involved.
    Last edited by Lady Warp Spasm; 06-13-2014 at 04:50 AM.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

TWS > DoFP
    TWS feels more intense for me

Hands down Captain America: WS.
    Last edited by ShaokhaN; 06-13-2014 at 05:20 AM.

Definitely CA:TWS. Great storyline and all the characters had a substantial role. Not to mention Emily Van Camp is always a great bonus.

DOFP was entertaining and had some great scenes, but was just a mess overall.

The Winter Soldier.
    I surrender to the Contest

They are both greatly flawed but TWS was the better of the two.

As a film, The Winter Soldier is tighter. Each character serves a purpose that goes beyond "show off your powers, then die brutally". The plot is for the most part easy to understand from an emotional and structural standpoint. I applaud DoFP for handling what could have been an EXTREMELY jumbled plot in a streamlined way to really get to the heart of things, but some moving parts were left dangling.

The Winter Soldier had better fights. They told stories within themselves, and never the same one unlike the two Future Fights in DoFP. The choreography was the best I have ever seen in a superhero film. There were times when despite knowing who was going to live or die, I could feel a ton of tension. I felt that in DoFP too, but only sometimes.

The Winter Soldier also had more likable characters, a much clearer analogy to current events, and to top it all off, without it, Agents of Shield would have sucked.

All-New Member

Winter Solider.
    I loved the plot, and the way they brought in Batroc & Crossbones. I also enjoyed the expanding roll of Black Widow, she could totally get her own movie.

IMO DOFP was only decent. I just don't Like Singer's take on the X-Men. Although it seems he did his homework and adopted the feel of X-men First Class, I still can't help think of The Matrix when I see Charles Xavier decked out in some leather scuba suit..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Some plot points in DOFP literally made no sense.
    As opposed to figuratively?

Like Magneto controlling Sentinels with metal and Mystique rescuing Wolverine from the river (at the end), e.t.c.
    Those plot points make about as much sense as anything in a super hero movie can.

DoFP was a fun film even though it involved injections that cure spinal injuries but prevent use of mutant powers. Captain America TWS was far superior though. They both had great action, though I think TWS has a more well-thought out story, less silliness for lack of a better word (I'll just send you mind back in time because I can do that!), better social commentary (people using drones to commit extrajudicial killings have hijacked America and the politicians are secretly evil), a twist that I legitimately did not see coming, and an ending that was far less predictable (I never imaged SHIELD would be dissolved whereas I assumed the timeline would be reset from the trailers).
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    DoFP was a fun film even though it involved injections that cure spinal injuries but prevent use of mutant powers. Captain America TWS was far superior though. They both had great action, though I think TWS has a more well-thought out story, less silliness for lack of a better word (I'll just send you mind back in time because I can do that!), better social commentary (people using drones to commit extrajudicial killings have hijacked America and the politicians are secretly evil), a twist that I legitimately did not see coming, and an ending that was far less predictable (I never imaged SHIELD would be dissolved whereas I assumed the timeline would be reset from the trailers).
    I enjoyed the x-men, but I wouldn't say it was fun. It was almost like a documentary, which, as a fan of history, I love.

I am just really happy they erased results of The Last Stand. There are two things I wish they would change with the X-men movies in the future. They need to be more faithful with characters, i.e. their powers and continuity. I could be wrong but Alex is now older then Cyclops (like the Ultimate universe). Bobby and Warren are now two of the youngest mutants in the X-movie universe. I also saw Cyclops' power treated like a laser in X-men Origins: Wolverine. A whole gaggle of mutants were a bit different in the successive movies. The First Class mutants should have actually consisted of the first class.

The second item has changed, due to First Class - the use of the X-men uniforms. I hope this continues. After watching the Avengers, Captain America, Thor, Spiderman, another Superman, Fantastic Four, etc - I find that seeing the characters in their uniforms (or something quite close) actually makes me feel a bit more like I am watching the characters I grew up with. There is no need for the black leather with the X design, anymore. The X-movie folks do not have to fear looking corny with the uniforms.

BANNED

To me, there is no comparison.

Captain America:The Winter Soldier was superior to DOFP on every level concievable as far as story, characters, action and attention to detail were concerned.

DOFP's best scenes all occured in the 1970's parts of the movie with strong performances from Past/Future Xavier, Magneto and Wolverine holding things together but measured up against the tour de force that was Captain America: Winter Soldier, DOPF comes of in third place behind Sony's Amazing Spiderman 2.

Found dofp boring, for me it failed due to a huge lack of action. Can't stand x men cast. Havnt really enjoyed an x movie since x2
    TWS on the other hand was action packed and exactly what I want to see from a comic book movie

Quote Originally Posted by 50yearoldNovafan View Post
    I am just really happy they erased results of The Last Stand. There are two things I wish they would change with the X-men movies in the future. They need to be more faithful with characters, i.e. their powers and continuity. I could be wrong but Alex is now older then Cyclops (like the Ultimate universe). Bobby and Warren are now two of the youngest mutants in the X-movie universe. I also saw Cyclops' power treated like a laser in X-men Origins: Wolverine. A whole gaggle of mutants were a bit different in the successive movies. The First Class mutants should have actually consisted of the first class.
    This stuff can't happen without just a full reboot of the Franchise. Alex is most definitely older than Cyclops, so much so that it is unlikely that they would be brothers. Havok was a teenager in 1963 from First Class, Scott was a teenager in the mid-1980s from Origins. More likely Havok is Scott's father or some other older relative in the movie continuity.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!