Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BCaeser1 View Post
    Wow! As a Cage fan, that's disappointing to hear. Given what the show is and the tv budget, it's not unexpected but man....that's a very low showing for him. Barely stronger than Cap?! Ugh!

I read that he got ko'd by a shotgun blast. Weaksauce! Truth be told, Cage really doesn't have any business being on a "street level" show as he can't be hurt by conventional weaponry other than gas. Hopefully they give him a boost in his own show and match him up versus a superpowered foe as opposed to shotgun wielding thugs.
    With the budget getting nerfed makes sense. But a bit disappointing for me as well. Hes stronger but not by much, theres a chance he hasnt show his full strength. Purpleman just said kill her didnt say he had to use full strength. That just grasping at straws though. Possible a second exposure like the comics. How strong is he in the comics now anyway? Still listed at 25tons, but i saw him equal namor in the water. Namors is 100+ in water maybe more he did hold up utopia.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    OK, how are they related then? That would suggest that IGH had a hand in creating Kilgrave's virus. Not only that, they manipulated everything that happened in season 1 because they wanted to enjoy some human theater of seeing what would happen if someone with Kilgrave's powers was let loose in the public and what would happen if they threw one of their combat enhancement test subjects like Simpson into the mix. Now maybe IGH is a malevolent organization, but Jessica's accident occurred I believe in 1999 in the world of the show. So they've been on the sidelines all this time and put her on the path to being terrorized by Kilgrave, and then manipulated it so Simpson would also get involved? That just seems somewhat messy and overwrought.
    I'm really confused by these leaps you're making, it feels like you're making it more complicated than it is.

I just assumed from the show that the implication was that exposure to the drugs IGH was developing as part of their combat enhancement trials were what gave Jessica her powers in the accident. And that yes, it was a coincidence that Simpson got involved in the Killgrave situation, but it was the kind of coincidence that leads to someone discovering the connections that had been there all along. And that sort of thing IS realistic. People constantly discover things or make connections or reopen investigations because they randomly see something or meet someone that links things together for them.

So yeah, I think it was just a coincidence that a former IGH subject like Simpson got caught up in all of this, but I can live with that. It's far more plausible to me than thinking the IGH Simpson was involved with having the same name as the company that paid for Jessica's health care is the real coincidence, like you initially proposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    The only times I can remember him and Jessica near matching strengths are when he's doing stuff on purpose to be underpowered like when they're having super powered foreplay or he's trying to move her out of the way to kill the bus driver. I'm going to rewatch their fight at some point to refresh my memory tho.

I think he is definitely underpowered compared to the comics but he's kinda ridiculous in the comics anyway, all I really took away from the show is he's much stronger than Jones.
    I thought that after the bus scene. She tried her hardest to stop him and couldnt even slow him a bit and he pushed her aside like a child. Watch the club fight though she at very lest comes close to matching him a few times. Blocking his arm and pushing him back(might have pushed off a wall i need to rewatch aswell.)

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I thought that after the bus scene. She tried her hardest to stop him and couldnt even slow him a bit and he pushed her aside like a child. Watch the club fight though she at very lest comes close to matching him a few times. Blocking his arm and pushing him back(might have pushed off a wall i need to rewatch aswell.)
    I just rewatched the club scene and she doesn't match him, she uses his weight against him so she can smash his head into stuff. When she knocks him out for a second I always thought it was because of the crappy thin all she knocks him through but she knees him in the head. She did throw him across the room once but as you said it was because she flew/jumped from the wall behind her. And he lands VERY few punches on her in that fight, that seems to be the only reason she can still move.

Most of the time she 'matches' him it's because she grabs his arm and moves him or uses his own momentum against him, I didn't see any clear strength vs strength stuff going on just avoidance and opportunistic fighting, which makes sense given Jessica knows Cage could beat her to death.

Also it seems that during their fight he's slow and doing stuff unusual on purpose as a way to resist Kilgrave.

BANNED

I agree great acting. I thought the chemistry between colter and ritter was the best part.
    I actually thought there wasn't much chemistry between them, at least not romantic chemistry. At first it bothered me, but as the show played out I realized it was actually to the story's advantage, because what was going on between Luke and Jessica wasn't really a "love story" per se. The resonance between them was rooted in much darker, twisted emotions (when we first meet Luke Jones is, for all intents and purposes, stalking him). So the lack of visceral romantic/erotic "sparks" flying back and forth between them was in keeping with the tone of the story and characters.

Spectacular Member

With the budget getting nerfed makes sense. But a bit disappointing for me as well. Hes stronger but not by much, theres a chance he hasnt show his full strength. Purpleman just said kill her didnt say he had to use full strength. That just grasping at straws though. Possible a second exposure like the comics. How strong is he in the comics now anyway? Still listed at 25tons, but i saw him equal namor in the water. Namors is 100+ in water maybe more he did hold up utopia.
    He's listed at class 25 in the comics but to me, his strength level fluctuates between class 25 to class 50 or so, and he is more durable than he is strong. He hangs with the big boys (Namor, Thing) for short periods mostly due to his high durability, tenacity and fighting skills.

I was hoping for Movie Spiderman level strength for Cage and complete invulnerability to conventional weapons, outside of knockout gas or a high end explosion. I guess that was a bit too much to ask.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

I was hoping for Movie Spiderman level strength for Cage and complete invulnerability to conventional weapons, outside of knockout gas or a high end explosion. I guess that was a bit too much to ask.
    He had pretty good durability, the only thing that knocked him out was severe and repetitive blunt force trauma to the head following a point blank shot gun shell to under the jaw. He survived getting blown up, being on fire and using an automatic saw on his belly.

He's listed at class 25 in the comics but to me, his strength level fluctuates between class 25 to class 50 or so, and he is more durable than he is strong. He hangs with the big boys (Namor, Thing) for short periods mostly due to his high durability, tenacity and fighting skills.

Just curious i mean he rocked namor in the water. Namor whos shrugged off a blow from mjolnir like it was nothing. Seems like cage does things alot that are way beyond what he should but this is OT so we will end it there

@kalorama
    Iono i thought colter and ritter had chemistry. It was akward chemistry but when they were together it felt right. Despite the fans knowing they both have big secrets. Him probaly being an escaped inmate(average viewer would just think he had some legal issues at least) and her killing his wife. Iono it worked for me

He had pretty good durability, the only thing that knocked him out was severe and repetitive blunt force trauma to the head following a point blank shot gun shell to under the jaw. He survived getting blown up, being on fire and using an automatic saw on his belly.
    He was expecting comic level durability. Where 100+ton punches from hulk dont make his brain swell. But there has to be more risk to lukes life for good story telling soon as i calmed down i understood that. Still hope he was holding strength back trying to give jessica a chance. Have to wait for his show.

Spectacular Member

Not sure I agree with getting ko'd by a shotgun blast and repetitive blunt force trauma as "pretty good" durability for the likes of Luke Cage. The other stuff you mentioned sounds ok I guess. Since his creation, Luke's whole schtick was his durability. They could have certainly portrayed Luke's durability more accurately, even with a tv budget. Oh well, I'll have to judge for myself when I get some free time to watch the show.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Finished episode 11 and it was really intense. I like how the sister found out how her brother died and turned the help group against Jessica, which idiotically led up to Purple Man's release. The ending of episode 10 was my favorite part of the season so far. The death trap Purple Man put Jessica's friends in by attaching their necks to ropes on the bar was really epic and it had me at the edge of my seat. It was hard to believe that the teenage girl was willing to kill herself to give motive to Jessica to kill Purple Man. As for the next episode, I like how Jessica discovered her powers. It seemed really unique and the way she used it to stand up for trish was very sweet.
    Also the fight between Jessica and Duke Nukem was awesome. I was shocked that Trish took one of the red pills just to help stop him. Hopefully she'll be ok.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Amazing Member

In some ways I found Simpson a bit scarier than Kilgrave. With Kilgrave, from the get go you knew the guy's a slimeball.

Simpson started out as a victim, then became more and more unstable.

Then in later episodes in the scenes where he's hanging out in the hallway at Trish's apartment I was thinking, "She is really asking for it if she lets Mr. OCD inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    In some ways I found Simpson a bit scarier than Kilgrave. With Kilgrave, from the get go you knew the guy's a slimeball.

Simpson started out as a victim, then became more and more unstable.

Then in later episodes in the scenes where he's hanging out in the hallway at Trish's apartment I was thinking, "She is really asking for it if she lets Mr. OCD inside."
    If the guys didnt come to bring him back i believe he was gonna stop taking the drug. He took it again to protect trish, he clearly cares for her. But once he goes crazy thats that. Wont be surprised if Punisher is linked to him somehow. Served in the middle east together etc... doubt frank would do wha wolverine did to him so he cant be a stand in.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    I think it's just one of those lazy movie/TV coincidences. It seems to be a somewhat contrived connection. The company behind the chemicals exposed ot Jessica Jones also gave Jessica her powers. That same company is part of an unrelated combat enhancement program that gives super pills to special forces soldiers. One of those soldiers retired from the military and joined the NYPD and just happened to also get wrapped up in becoming an unwitting pawn of Kilgrave's.
    I see that you are obviously new to comics. Welcome aboard!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    I just assumed from the show that the implication was that exposure to the drugs IGH was developing as part of their combat enhancement trials were what gave Jessica her powers in the accident.
    Because the truck her family ran into appeared to be a normal commercial moving van, and since Trish's Mom only seemed to know who IGH was as a result of the medical records paperwork (if the Jones' car had hit a chemical transport belonging to IGH, that likely would have been part of the public reporting on the accident) I was thinking that IGH used Jess as an unsuspecting guinea pig, administering the drugs to her intentionally, after the accident.