Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    I don't either. I like The Room, it is not an objectively good movie in any way. And you're an expert you say?
    Yes I am. No one else knows what I like better than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    No, it's better.
    I agree. Not by much, but I think it was better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    Yes I am. No one else knows what I like better than I do.
    Oh, I thought you were saying you were an expert on the things you like, not that you were an expert on you. Well, that's good you know you, not sure why you felt the need to give use that information, but ok.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I'm still not finished with this series. Definitely haven't felt the urge to finish like I did with Daredevil.

And I'm not quite sure why. Acting is hitting all the right notes with me, the side characters are interesting enough, Killgrave is a creepy manchild, etc.

I guess maybe...it's just a bit too bleak for me. Daredevil had a (false, at times) sense of hope. JJ just seems like they're throwing curve ball after curve ball to explain why the situation(s) can't improve. I've read spoilers, so I know what happens, but sitting down during it...I can't fathom "an end".
    That's actually a pretty good encapsulation.

Daredevil was a true origin story, both for Matt and Fisk. It was all about the journey they took on the road to becoming the characters we're familiar with. And, by the end, they were both in different places than where they started out. The same can't be said of Jessica Jones. There really was no "heroic journey" for her. Her closing epilogue openly acknowledged this, basically saying "I'm still not a hero, but I guess I can try and fake it for a while." There was some growth on her part, by allowing herself to let Trish and Malcolm into her life, but even that was selfishly motivated, to an extent. For the most part, she was in the same place at the end as she was when she started.

I'm not one of those who really needs a happy ending for a story to click, so the bleak nature of it didn't bother me. But the general lack of character and narrative motion for Jess's story made it feel inert at times, too many of them for my preference. It was good, on balance, but still disappointing because it felt like it had the ingredients to be better.

Oh, I thought you were saying you were an expert on the things you like, not that you were an expert on you. Well, that's good you know you, not sure why you felt the need to give use that information, but ok.
    You forget your own words so quickly. I understand why though. You counter-accused me of thinking I was an expert in everything. Hence my clarification that the only thing I'm an expert in is what I like and what I don't.

I really love this series, like it even better than Daredevil. Am on episode 8 and can't wait for Luke Cage and the Defenders. Hope Hellcat will be a part of that team as well

BANNED

You forget your own words so quickly. I understand why though. You counter-accused me of thinking I was an expert in everything. Hence my clarification that the only thing I'm an expert in is what I like and what I don't.
    I didn't forget anything, I just thought what you meant had something to do with what I said, not that you were an expert on you. Still, that doesn't change the fact that you like to act like you're an expert on everything...everything movie related anyways. It's just really funny you feel this need to follow me around and correct me, like, you get so mad that I'm saying something while you're doing the exact same thing. That you don't see you're doing the same thing is just really hilarious. Anyways, we can stop talking about this now, because I don't really care. Back to the show, off this weird obsession you have with me.

But, in what way is watching half a season of a tv show like watching a trailer? How is that comparison even comparable? You do know trailers can be cut in ways that look nothing like the final product? Do whole episodes and half a season of something not convey what Jessica Jones is? This isn't an anthology series where each episode is a whole different genre with vastly different tones. Does Jessica Jones because something wholly different in its last six episodes, do you think the first seven episodes were a complete misrepresentation of the whole series?

Still, that doesn't change the fact that you like to act like you're an expert on everything...
    No, I act like I disagree with you and don't accept your assertions that your opinions hold the weight of fact. To you, that means I must think I'm an expert on everything. In reality, it means I understand the fact that opinions are subjective.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IfThisBemyDestiny View Post
    You're right, you should especially show little girls episode 10 "AKA 1,000 cuts". TOTALLY appropriate *eyeroll*.
    You betcha. I don't personally find anything inappropriate for young girls in the entire season. I understand that some have been raised and conditioned for generations to subscribe to censorship and puritanical sensibilities and pass on the same ideas. That's fine and cool. I prefer not sugarcoating and preparing my daughters for adulthood 24/7 from birth. I get that's not a popular approach, but it's one I believe in. With the Disney princess stories/films, it's the same deal...they can watch those and enjoy them, but I'm also going to offer the real versions of those stories like Cinderella cutting off her own foot and her bloody stump being why Prince Charming knew the shoe was hers or Ariel essentially committing suicide.

BANNED

No, I act like I disagree with you and don't accept your assertions that your opinions hold the weight of fact. To you, that means I must think I'm an expert on everything. In reality, it means I understand the fact that opinions are subjective.
    No, when you start trying to lecture me, and then you turn around and do the exact thing you think I'm doing tells me you believe you know better. This whole weird complex you have about me in your head is so strange I'm not even really sure what to say about it. That you believe you're not doing the same thing you think I am when you sweap in to tell me how it really is, is just funny. I mean, you can keep doing it if you want, at this point I just find it hilarious.

But, back to that trailer thing. How is watching a 90 odd second trailer that could be cut in a way to covey a totally different tone than the actually movie it's meant to sell the same as watching 7 full episodes of a 13 episode tv show? Do those seven episodes not properly illustrate what the show is...or is up to that point? Or is this just part of your act?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Potanical Pardon View Post
    You betcha. I don't personally find anything inappropriate for young girls in the entire season. I understand that some have been raised and conditioned for generations to subscribe to censorship and puritanical sensibilities and pass on the same ideas. That's fine and cool. I prefer not sugarcoating and preparing my daughters for adulthood 24/7 from birth. I get that's not a popular approach, but it's one I believe in. With the Disney princess stories/films, it's the same deal...they can watch those and enjoy them, but I'm also going to offer the real versions of those stories like Cinderella cutting off her own foot and her bloody stump being why Prince Charming knew the shoe was hers or Ariel essentially committing suicide.
    Cinderella didn't do any foot cutting, that was the sisters.

No, when you start trying to lecture me, and then you turn around and do the exact thing you think I'm doing tells me you believe you know better.
    Except that doesn't happen.

Amazing Member

I just finished it now. Overall, I liked it alot. I thought the first half of the series was fantastic, it started to drag a little towards the middle part. But I loved it. Some great performances from all the actors. David Tennant was so fun. Only Purple Man story I know was in Mark Waid's most recent Daredevil run so this was cool to really see him. I like his character a lot, especially the moments where he talked about how awful it was to know if people really cared about him or were just doing what he says.

I'm biased towards Daredevil, but I would say front to back I enjoyed Daredevil more. Jessica Jones started off stronger, but I think lost it's footing. It happened in Daredevil too, but didn't fall as hard for me. I think these would be better served as 8 episode series.

One big issue I had in the back end was when they really started defining Kilgrave's powers and trying to put limits on it. I thought it only worked in person, but didn't Kilgrave tell JJ over the phone to take pictures every day at 10 am? Then again maybe it was just in her head at the point and she believed she had to listen to him because she didn't realize she didn't yet.

I didn't like that it was a "virus" that gave him his powers because then distance doesn't make any sense as to when it wears off.

Simpson was an awful character I could have done without.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    I just finished it now. Overall, I liked it alot. I thought the first half of the series was fantastic, it started to drag a little towards the middle part. But I loved it. Some great performances from all the actors. David Tennant was so fun. Only Purple Man story I know was in Mark Waid's most recent Daredevil run so this was cool to really see him. I like his character a lot, especially the moments where he talked about how awful it was to know if people really cared about him or were just doing what he says.

I'm biased towards Daredevil, but I would say front to back I enjoyed Daredevil more. Jessica Jones started off stronger, but I think lost it's footing. It happened in Daredevil too, but didn't fall as hard for me. I think these would be better served as 8 episode series.

One big issue I had in the back end was when they really started defining Kilgrave's powers and trying to put limits on it. I thought it only worked in person, but didn't Kilgrave tell JJ over the phone to take pictures every day at 10 am? Then again maybe it was just in her head at the point and she believed she had to listen to him because she didn't realize she didn't yet.

I didn't like that it was a "virus" that gave him his powers because then distance doesn't make any sense as to when it wears off.

Simpson was an awful character I could have done without.

Kilgrave did tell Jessica to send the photos over the phone, but he wasn't using his powers on her (he couldn't if he wanted to, because they no longer worked on her). She agreed to send him the photos of her own volition, in exchange for Kilgrave leaving Malcolm alone. And distance had nothing to do with how long it took for the effects of his powers to wear off. As we saw, many times, people under Kilgrave's control continued to follow his orders even though he was miles away, physically. The references to distance had to do with over how wide an area from his body he could initially project his powers (i.e., how far he could spread the virus).

Just finished the series and its no where near as good as Daredevil. It was alright, but nothing any better then any other detective drama on TV. Nothing during the show has me believing Cage was portrayed as being as strong as Captain America either. Cap casually hurled a motorcycle at people and nothing Cage did was that impressive in my opinion. Another issue I had was durability. I was more disappointed with Jessica getting KO'd by the 90 lb. girl with the 2x4 then I was with Cage and the shotgun. One last complaint was the fight scenes that looked like the old Hulk TV show where everybody just got thrown around mostly.

All in all I would give it a 6 out of 10. I liked it, but it could have been a ton better.