Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

That's what was said. In an interview after the issue came out. Because no one understood the issue. Haha. So yeah, far be it from me to tell you not to be skeptical on that one. But its what I'm rolling with for right now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

I still think that this miniseries' possible end is going to be that the Pre-Flashpoint universe still exists somewhere in Hypertime.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I kind of hope DC is learning from Marvel's mistakes, so to speak. Eight years on and they're still fighting the Spider-Marriage. I hope that DC has learned that you don't kill something fans like. They already went through that with Infinite Crisis and both Earth 2 Superman and Earth Prime Superboy.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

This has to end with either they go home and bring back their world, or they depower him and they just raise a family here on the main earth.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I kind of hope DC is learning from Marvel's mistakes, so to speak. Eight years on and they're still fighting the Spider-Marriage. I hope that DC has learned that you don't kill something fans like. They already went through that with Infinite Crisis and both Earth 2 Superman and Earth Prime Superboy.
    I don't know if that's quite an accurate assessment. They're not so much fighting it as much as they've moved on quite contently. If anything its just not that big a deal to most except the hardcore shippers, and I think its the exact same case here. Lots of people liked the marriages, lots of others didn't. Some had their way for a long time, now others are having theirs. Its not so cut and dry as to say that they killed something universally beloved or something.

The only real mistake Marvel made was the method of their big-name marriage ending. The story that did it was abysmal. But now the story is done and over with and Spidey has been fine. DC didn't have to worry about that hurdle in the first place as they didn't need a story to end it, because they had the reboot.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-29-2015 at 10:30 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I hope they did. This series is doing what DC and Marvel seem to have failed at how to get a marriage right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't know if that's quite an accurate assessment. They're not so much fighting it as much as they've moved on quite contently. If anything its just not that big a deal to most except the hardcore shippers, and I think its the exact same case here. Lots of people liked the marriages, lots of others didn't. Some had their way for a long time, now others are having theirs. Its not so cut and dry as to say that they killed something universally beloved or something.
    Well, in the 70s, the old Mr. & Mrs. Superman strip was running concurrently with the Bronze Age Superman, and it did OK, so I don't see the problem with keeping it up if the sales are there (and the irony is actually quite entertaining. Well, to me, at least....)

Perhaps I misread the statement. If its just that there's room to have the best of both worlds for both types of fans somehow then yes, I would agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Possible but very unlikely. The first issue didnt outsell the main titles, and that was a number 1 issue while the main titles are at 40-something and in the midst of a random crossover that hasnt increased sales. Second issues often lose as much as half their opening numbers. I wont discount it, some books will gain readership as positive word of mouth spreads, but that's so rare its almost unheard of.
    It managed to outsell Superman/Wonder Woman but with standard second issue drop its likely going to look like this in november:

Superman #46: around 42k
    Batman/Superman #26: around 36k
    Action #46: around 35k
    Superman/Wonder Woman #23: around 31k
    Superman Lois and Clark #2: around 21k

I don't think that its likely to increase in sales, because most of the time titles that bounce back are either creatively ground breaking, do something complete new with the character or has movie coming up. Neither of those applies to this title since its very by the numbers featuring old version of the character which, by all intents and purposes, isn't "main" Superman in current continuity.

This is probably my favorite of the Super books right now. I'm really enjoying seeing Lois, Clark and Jon trying to settle into their new lives. I really like how Lois is handled in this book. Having her write for the local paper was a nice touch. I really enjoyed ambush scene. Over all, this book is proving to be far more entertaining and interesting than Truth for me. This books is just what I wanted with pre-Flashpoint Superman. He's with Lois and has a family. He's still out there trying to be Superman. Good character stuff and an interesting premise. So I'm sold and happy this book is around. Even though it's temporary, I love this book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Possible but very unlikely. The first issue didnt outsell the main titles, and that was a number 1 issue while the main titles are at 40-something and in the midst of a random crossover that hasnt increased sales. Second issues often lose as much as half their opening numbers. I wont discount it, some books will gain readership as positive word of mouth spreads, but that's so rare its almost unheard of.

I could see DC keeping Superdad around though, with some adjustments to the current Lois&Clark status quo. Get him out in public, in the classic suit, possibly with an "s" related name change (Sentinel has a nice ring to it).

Hell, it might even work out. You could have a Superman a little closer to the traditional version out there, and have the current version stay at Golden Age power levels with the t-shirt and jeans (just put the cape back). People love t-shirt and jeans Superman, just not necessarily as the main version. This way they'd have something a little more familiar too.
    I doubt DC will ever let Pre52 superman be the main one, I just can't see it. DC won't admit that people might like more things that aren't new 52.

It was released on october, a month with a heavy relaunch on Marvel books with dozen variants. DC didn't promote like it should, the variant cover is a old art that was already printed someone else and has nothing to do with the book. not to say how DC is doing badly.
    I can see the book being stable at 30k, but it is a 12 issue mini. majority will trade wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

The only real mistake Marvel made was the method of their big-name marriage ending. The story that did it was abysmal. But now the story is done and over with and Spidey has been fine. DC didn't have to worry about that hurdle in the first place as they didn't need a story to end it, because they had the reboot.
    only hardcore shippers? after selling well on convergence and gaining a 12 issues mini? that doesn't look like it. yes lois and clark are universally beloved.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    I doubt DC will ever let Pre52 superman be the main one, I just can't see it. DC won't admit that people might like more things that aren't new 52.

It was released on october, a month with a heavy relaunch on Marvel books with dozen variants. DC didn't promote like it should, the variant cover is a old art that was already printed someone else and has nothing to do with the book. not to say how DC is doing badly.
    I can see the book being stable at 30k, but it is a 12 issue mini. majority will trade wait.
    I wasnt trying to imply that they'd make Superdad the "main" Superman, just that there might be room for him in the DCU. Sorry if I wasnt clear on that. And just the fact that this book exists at all (along with Titans Hunt) is proof that DC will admit that there are still fans out there who miss the old continuity.

And all this "Oh Marvel relaunched with variants and DC didnt market the book a lot!" stuff is just excuses. The book had a full page ad in all of DC's books and plenty of interviews on sites like this one. It got more attention and marketing than any of the other Super-titles have seen in months. And it's bright shiny new #1 couldn't outsell either of the main titles (issues in the random 40's) and only managed to outsell one of the team-up titles. And these books are in the midst of a crossover we know haven't increased sales. That's not a good sign.

Maybe sales will pick up. Maybe trade sales will be huge. But until either of those things happen the facts as we have them say that people aren't overly interested.
    Last edited by Ascended; 11-30-2015 at 09:46 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

only hardcore shippers? after selling well on convergence and gaining a 12 issues mini? that doesn't look like it. yes lois and clark are universally beloved.
    Way to misread the statement as usual. I didn't say the marriage didn't have its fans, in fact I flat out said it did. I said there were just as many who didn't care one way or another if they're married and some who flat out disliked the marriage. This is all true. And thus my saying that I didn't believe it was accurate to say DC killed something the fans liked as a blanket statement. Clark and Lois are universally beloved characters. Just not necessarily as man and wife. Again, some loved it. Some didn't. It varied and still varies to this day, quite heavily.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-30-2015 at 02:52 PM.

I can't even get through Action or Superman or Superman/Batman anymore. If this goes away those other books better get a lot better. I may be headed for another years long break from DC as the universe really does hinge on my level of enjoyment for the Superman family of books. Marvels a lost cause but I can keep myself happy reading older books for as long as it takes. Who would have thought Johns taking over for Lobdell would mark the beginning of the end for new 52 Superman quality wise.

I'm just gonna hope this title stays around for many years to come in one form or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Who would have thought Johns taking over for Lobdell would mark the beginning of the end for new 52 Superman quality wise..
    A lot of us, actually.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.