Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member

Default Julias Schwartz versus Stan Lee

Not a fight! Who's more important to the the development of US comics? The Father of the Silver Age or The Father of of the Marvel Age? Lee is certainly the better known of the two and was by far the better promoter of his "brand" but he only had twelve books a month coming out due do to contractual restrictions. Ont he other hand Lee's signature creation the Fantastic Four? Very much derived from the Challengers of the Unknown book Kirby did while at DC and the the whole "Bickering team led by by the brilliant but emotionally distant leader" thing was already being done about a year earlier DC in the Metal Men.
    Last edited by Tanrage; 11-26-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Stan the Man, Lee.

Julias Schwartz was important, but he's not a household name by any stretch of the imagination.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Spectacular Member

But that's mostly because Julias wasn't the relentless self-promoter that Stan was. I'm not saying that in a disparaging way, putting aface on the product was a very important part of creating the Marvel Brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanrage View Post
    But that's mostly because Julias wasn't the relentless self-promoter that Stan was. I'm not saying that in a disparaging way, putting aface on the product was a very important part of creating the Marvel Brand.
    Just answered your own question.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Spectacular Member

Being better at self-promotion doesn't make you you more important and there's more than one way to build a Brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanrage View Post
    Being better at self-promotion doesn't make you you more important and there's more than one way to build a Brand.
    But if Stan Lee's promotion helped build Marvel into a household name, and he created some if the most iconic superheroes, who are now the most popular creations in the world...

Yes, it does.

You answered your own question.

Arx Inosaan

Obviously, Stan Lee is better known to the general public and he's also promoted himself as being very significant. There is also no doubt that, at one time in history, he did a lot to bring comics to a more mature level than what had existed before. Or maybe started it back to that. But no, I think Schwartz is more important, more significant, than Lee. Whether as many people know it or not, he did even more than Lee did.

Being more famous is not the same thing as being more important in the history of something.
    Power with Girl is better.