Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Still, you guys know Im usually wrong when it comes to theories.
    That theory does sound pretty plausible. I've had crazier theories about the current set-up and how it all ties into the 200th issue of the post-OMD canon which I think occurs next April just as Spider-Verse concludes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    I like Anna Maria as a character, too, and I also agree she was one of the best aspects of Superior Spider-Man. But given the circumstances behind her relationship with Otto, I'm very apprehensive about where things could be heading here.

Given that Anna Maria now knows Peter's secret identity, that does allow Peter to tell her the truth about Doc Ock being in his body, so its likely he'd do that next issue. Only I can imagine another possibility--that after Peter confirms to Anna Maria that he is indeed Spider-Man, he starts to tell her about Doc Ock when she stops him and says "I know." A surprised Peter goes "You do?" only she's not talking about Doc Ock because she then says "I found your surprise in the closet and my answer is...Yes!" And she shows Peter Otto's engagement ring and prepared speech and hugs him saying "Yes, I'll marry you!" And Peter is just too flabbergasted to speak, and thus he's even more afraid to tell Anna Maria about Otto for fear of breaking her heart even more.

Still, you guys know Im usually wrong when it comes to theories.
    As long as Slott is writing the story, only time will tell how this one pans out. But I feel that Slott loves Spock more than Peter Parker. Perhaps if they do make a Dr. Ock solo series, he could reunited Otto(in his own body) with Anna Maria. But we all know that Slott love to do things his way. So I suspect that Anna will be dumb down so that she wouldn't noticed the difference between Peter and Otto.

All-New Member

Honestly, I think it's officially been long enough that framing current Spider-Man stories in light of OMD is absurd. It's been a hundred fifty issues! For reference, a hundred fifty issues before OMD Pete was knee-deep in the Clone Saga.

If OMD hadn't happened, by this point, a bunch of other stuff would have. And by the basic rules of cheap drama, those things probably also would have destabilized the Pete/MJ marriage. Say, maybe Doc Ock would have taken over Peter's body. That can't be good for a marriage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mamylon View Post
    If OMD hadn't happened, by this point, a bunch of other stuff would have. And by the basic rules of cheap drama, those things probably also would have destabilized the Pete/MJ marriage. Say, maybe Doc Ock would have taken over Peter's body. That can't be good for a marriage.
    I've spent the last couple of months putting together a storyline that would have allowed those stories to happen but would have left wiggle room for the marraige to be strengthened. I don't want to convert it into a fanfic because I'd like to write for Marvel one day, but I think, given what I've mapped out, that it can be plausibly done.

You can't blame fans like me for wanting there to be a resolution to OMD. There needs to be one. This is not something you can just sweep under the carpet and pretend it isnt there. Peter commited an act against God by siding with the devil, warped reality, retconned a future unborn child...that is textbook grounds for a riveting drama in it's own right, why not take the oppertunity to tell it?

Besides, with Morlun being a principle player in Spider-Verse, essentially touching on stories that date back to 2006, or even further back to 2001, who's to say what is and isnt open to development?
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 05-01-2014 at 09:48 AM.

I like Anna Maria and all, but I'm still too attached to MJ.

Sorry, no other woman is fit for Peter/Spider-Man in my book and the constant creation of new ones to play place holder until Marvel finally permits them to get back together again, just isn't working for me.

Peter and Mary Jane for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamylon View Post
    Honestly, I think it's officially been long enough that framing current Spider-Man stories in light of OMD is absurd. It's been a hundred fifty issues! For reference, a hundred fifty issues before OMD Pete was knee-deep in the Clone Saga.

Measuring in issues is a weird thing to do. Keep in mind that during most of the marriage several monthly Spider-Man titles were running concurrently just in the 616 continuity. I remember at one point there were four Spider-Man monthlies going at once: Amazing, Spectacular, Web Of and just plain Spider-Man. Also keep in mind that years of time of a status quo means a lot more to people than number of issues. Spider-Man and Mary Jane were married for 21 years and were a couple a lot longer. I started reading Spider-Man comics in 1989. The Marriage was the status quo for the character for my entire reading experience until OMD. For those years, MJ was more important than Aunt May or the Daily Bugle. For many, many readers, after OMD, the entire nature of the character and the story changed.

So here's the thing, they went through the Clone Saga and the marriage survived. They went through Sins Past, and the marriage survived. They went through 21 years of crazy storylines and the marriage made it. So let's not pretend the collapse of the marriage was in any way "inevitable." It was editorial fiat. For people like me framing the stories as pre-OMD and post-OMD is easily the most logical way to label the comic because you're talking about the entirety or majority of the reading experiences for many readers.

Whether people like it or not, for many, many readers, every potential love interest will be compared to Mary Jane, and the fact that no relationship can progress to marriage or kids will be a significant irritation. If Peter Parker is going to be an "everyman" character, then he will have to deal with relationships because that's part of everyday life for most people. Yes, you can write many, many stories where the relationships aren't a factor, but do that exclusively, and Peter's personal life becomes significantly less interesting and the balance between his personal, professional and heroic lives have always been the bulwark of the series. So investing in his romantic relationships or NOT investing in them becomes much harder after being so significantly burned by OMD. The fact that this incredibly strange relationship scenario is the first one to spark my interest in many years reflects how pointless the post-OMD era has been on the romantic front for many, many readers.

In a normal person's life, if they get married, it will be a MAJOR BENCHMARK OF THEIR EXISTENCE. That doesn't change for comic book characters or comic book storylines.
    Last edited by Darth Howie; 05-01-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    I've spent the last couple of months putting together a storyline that would have allowed those stories to happen but would have left wiggle room for the marraige to be strengthened. I don't want to convert it into a fanfic because I'd like to write for Marvel one day, but I think, given what I've mapped out, that it can be plausibly done.

You can't blame fans like me for wanting there to be a resolution to OMD. There needs to be one. This is not something you can just sweep under the carpet and pretend it isnt there. Peter commited an act against God by siding with the devil, warped reality, retconned a future unborn child...that is textbook grounds for a riveting drama in it's own right, why not take the oppertunity to tell it?

Besides, with Morlun being a principle player in Spider-Verse, essentially touching on stories that date back to 2006, or even further back to 2001, who's to say what is and isnt open to development?
    Which is why I feel that Peter actually gave his soul to the Mephisto for Aunt May's life, who was never in danger to begin with. I would like to think that Peter Parker died in ASM #700 and is now in Hell. But on the flipside, I like to think that Peter x Mary Jane rejected the demon's offer to save Aunt May's life because they saw right through his deception. Thus, you could say that the Pre-OMD timeline is now an alternate reality.

I think Anna Maria is going to give him "the talk" because she doesn't want to marry and clearly Ock was thinking about it. Might be an easy out. Anyway, I am thinking that AM is going to become the new "Carlie" in the supporting cast. If Peter and her hooked up, I will print out this page and eat it. Thats how convinced I am that they will not hook up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Which is why I feel that Peter actually gave his soul to the Mephisto for Aunt May's life, who was never in danger to begin with. I would like to think that Peter Parker died in ASM #700 and is now in Hell. But on the flipside, I like to think that Peter x Mary Jane rejected the demon's offer to save Aunt May's life because they saw right through his deception. Thus, you could say that the Pre-OMD timeline is now an alternate reality.
    The recent developments with the sliding timescale ("thirteen years ago") just adds more fuel to that beleif.

For me personally, the "classic" Spider-Man story/timeline ended when Spider-Girl folded. Helped by the fact DeFalco confirmed that Aunt May's death in Issue 400 was in fact legit.

One idea I had was the deal was finalized, but Peter and MJ were replaced with surface avatars guided by chaos magic, hence the irrational and immature behaviour from the pair of them. Every now and then, the parts of their souls that love each other and remember the power and responsibility part kick in and we get heroic acts from them, but they are fleeting and the chaos magic always intrudes and makes them look like fools again. I like to think one day one of them (preferibly MJ) breaks out of their conditioning and triggers a series of events that undoes the deal...the question is, just how much should we be willing to discard? Does every story count (that would be my intention) or would everything be reversed back to the very moment before Aunt May was shot or before Mephisto appeared before Peter and MJ?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I think Anna Maria is going to give him "the talk" because she doesn't want to marry and clearly Ock was thinking about it. Might be an easy out. Anyway, I am thinking that AM is going to become the new "Carlie" in the supporting cast. If Peter and her hooked up, I will print out this page and eat it. Thats how convinced I am that they will not hook up.
    On confectionery paper?

I'm surprised Slott setup a confrontation between her and Peter so quickly and directly. I guess he'd want to deal with the "yet more accusations of rape" quickly like in Superior. But either way, Peter isn't getting out of unscathed; he's going to look like an ass either way. I like Anna as a supporting member of the cast because she doesn't have to rely on wish-fulfillment qualities or audience pity for that matter to be relevant .

Since Anna has deduced Peter's identity, she might overlook his "change in personality" as his double life cover act. But probably not his incompetence in cybernetics.. heh
    Last edited by Pako; 05-01-2014 at 10:45 AM.

I had never read a Spider-Man comics before Superior. I bought it because the premise intrigued me.

I liked Ock in Peter's body but I came back every month (twice a month even) for Anna Maria.

With the relauching, I thought I was done with Spidey... Bought the new Amazing to get closure I guess and there she was ! Will keep on buying for the time beeing then.

I really don't know what I want their "relationship" (or lack of it) to become. Just hope I'll be supprised.

BANNED

Even I have to admit having Anna Maria around would be a good thing for Peter and I'm Pro Marriage all the way.

However, given how Carlie "Ended" up and the other times Peter was paired with Debra Whitman...this time around it wasn't truly "PETER" that started this, it was Otto in Peter's body.

So unless Peter explains things to her or somehow Otto tells her the truth via the note she found, this is going to be an interesting development for the return Peter Parker to deal with.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    For me personally, the "classic" Spider-Man story/timeline ended when Spider-Girl folded. Helped by the fact DeFalco confirmed that Aunt May's death in Issue 400 was in fact legit.
    I always believed in this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pako View Post
    On confectionery paper?

I'm surprised Slott setup a confrontation between her and Peter so quickly and directly. I guess he'd want to deal with the "yet more accusations of rape" quickly like in Superior. But either way, Peter isn't getting out of unscathed; he's going to look like an ass either way. I like Anna as a supporting member of the cast because she doesn't have to rely on wish-fulfillment qualities or audience pity for that matter to be relevant .

Since Anna has deduced Peter's identity, she might overlook his "change in personality" as his double life cover act. But probably not his incompetence in cybernetics.. heh
    They make edible paper? Score.

I was pleasantly surprised that he is addressing the AM situation right off the bat. But it made me a very happy fan. I care oodles more about her closure than I do for the Black Cat getting closure. Seriously, cat, it was a little punching out, no big deal.

I just don't see Peter lying to her about what happened. It's confirmed that she knows, so why wouldn't she accept the fact that it was Otto acting as Peter. I mean come on, Anna Maria will understand Peter's telling the truth when she realizes how different Peter has acted in past and now.