Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

I actually like the idea of Galactus as a force of nature...

As far as Risky Business, I'd say cuz Tom's character was a clean cut upper class kid and the whole thing was played for laffs, so it's easier for the audience to dismiss the situation. But there's lots of movies from the 70's-early 90's that have elements that would be questionable if they came out now ( situations that could be date rape etc)...

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Yeah, I can't really buy "force of nature" when he's a thinking, rationalizing individual. Plus, he's been both a straight up addict before and a petty bastard.

Storms are forces of nature because they can't rationalize and they don't have much personality. A storm is a storm. Galactus is a guy.
    Even if he is a force of nature I never saw that as a reason not to kill him. If we could somehow destroy a storm that would kill lots of people I'm pretty sure we'd do it without thinking twice about it.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Even if he is a force of nature I never saw that as a reason not to kill him. If we could somehow destroy a storm that would kill lots of people I'm pretty sure we'd do it without thinking twice about it.
    True enough.

And, would the consequences of destroying/redirecting him really be so bad compared to, y'know, planets of people dying? What is it that would happen, that's so horrible? Every possible consequence I can remember was pretty specious or so far off in the future that who'd really care anyway?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Didn't Byrne hash this out over several issues of Fantastic Four? Lilandra was peeved at him for not whacking Galactus when Mr. Fantastic had the chance, and put Richards on trial for every death Galactus had ever caused.

Invincible Member

The idea was that by killing Galactus, you'd be throwing the universe out of wack. It'd be like ending death or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The idea was that by killing Galactus, you'd be throwing the universe out of wack. It'd be like ending death or something.
    The consequences of this, though, have always been presented as zillions of years off or of such a relatively small scale that they're possibly less a problem than just leaving Galactus to his business. Has anyone presented a consequence that was both quick enough to affect the characters in their own lifetimes, and severe enough to have dramatic weight to counterbalance Galactus' actions?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Boisterously Confused

The consequences of this, though, have always been presented as zillions of years off or of such a relatively small scale that they're possibly less a problem than just leaving Galactus to his business. Has anyone presented a consequence that was both quick enough to affect the characters in their own lifetimes, and severe enough to have dramatic weight to counterbalance Galactus' actions?
    This sounds like a climate change debate.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VivaChiba View Post
    Because Johnny was a dick and everyone wanted to see him lose.

Seriously, I hedge coke already gave you a valid and humorous answer, but it is a daft film for teenagers that - for some bizarre reason - everybody loved, so what more logic do you need?
    And yes, we all loved it when Johnny got kicked in the face.
    I guess I shouldnt look for logic in a movie that is a huge wish fullfillment movie where logic is thrown out the window.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I actually like the idea of Galactus as a force of nature...

As far as Risky Business, I'd say cuz Tom's character was a clean cut upper class kid and the whole thing was played for laffs, so it's easier for the audience to dismiss the situation. But there's lots of movies from the 70's-early 90's that have elements that would be questionable if they came out now ( situations that could be date rape etc)...
    There was some issue in the movie Sixteen Candles if I recall when reading some trope about a debate if the character had the ability to consent after I believe altered from a drug or something.

So because it's comedy it's a safe zone much like Beverely Hills Cop where a Detroit cop with zero legal authority in Los Angeles investigating crimes there.

He raises other questions. Who in the Marvel 616 universe keeps creating planets for him to devour?
    Is there infinite planets in the marvel 616 universe or a specefic number?
    If a specific number how many?

Real World
    Is there unlimited space, and wouldnt that be impossible to conclusively prove?
    Was Jack the Ripper murderer working alone? Also why did the murders cease? What is his real name?
    Also why would a person believe the English Government is withholding information about the identity of Jack the Ripper?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    There was some issue in the movie Sixteen Candles if I recall when reading some trope about a debate if the character had the ability to consent after I believe altered from a drug or something.

So because it's comedy it's a safe zone much like Beverely Hills Cop where a Detroit cop with zero legal authority in Los Angeles investigating crimes there.

He raises other questions. Who in the Marvel 616 universe keeps creating planets for him to devour?

Real World
    Was Jack the Ripper murderer working alone? Also why did the murders cease? What is his real name?
    Also why would a person believe the English Government is withholding information about the identity of Jack the Ripper?
    This is the stupid question thread. Not the great unanswered questions of science and history thread. Stay away from "Is the Universe infinite?" "Who was Jack the Ripper?" and "What is the meaning of life?" and stick to trying to figure out The Karate Kid.

There are literally billions of planets in our universe, no reason to believe it would be any different in the MU.

Read a book.

I don't believe any of these questions have ever been answered conclusively.

Why do you think that might be? Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell's brilliant From Hell gives us one possible answer to this question.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    This sounds like a climate change debate.
    I am a Galactus Change denier, a Mar-Vell truther, but not an Official Handbook literalist.

Invincible Member

Well, over in The Ultimates they started a storyline where the team is attempting to change Galactus from the "Great Devourer" into a "Life Bringer" so it'll be interesting to see how it ends.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

What happened to Mad Cow Disease? Did it moooooooove on?

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    What happened to Mad Cow Disease? Did it moooooooove on?
    Get out.