Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Something I will never understand: Bracelets and Invisible Jets

Even though, I've taken a bit of interest in Wonder Woman lately, I have to say I'm not really understanding these two things:

1. Why does she deflect anything with her bracelets? She's invulnerable anyway. Why doesn't she just tank them? Do the writers have her do this because it looks cool?

2. Another thing I don't understand is purpose of the Invisible Jet. In my opinion, it seems like a waste for someone who can fly.

The following things aren't a deal breaker with me at all. It just comes off as weird to me.

1) The bracelets thing is more a "better safe than sorry" thing. Ordinary bullets won't hurt but magic or advanced tech will.

2) She uses the jet for the same reason people who can walk still use cars. Sometimes she gets tired. In the animated movie, Crisis on Two Earths, GL reminds Flash he still drives a car despite being faster than the speed of light.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    1) The bracelets thing is more a "better safe than sorry" thing. Ordinary bullets won't hurt but magic or advanced tech will.

2) She uses the jet for the same reason people who can walk still use cars. Sometimes she gets tired. In the animated movie, Crisis on Two Earths, GL reminds Flash he still drives a car despite being faster than the speed of light.

Well, that makes sense. I think we do forget that even though these guys are superhuman beings, they can run low on endurance. Thanks for clearing that up.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    Even though, I've taken a bit of interest in Wonder Woman lately, I have to say I'm not really understanding these two things:

1. Why does she deflect anything with her bracelets? She's invulnerable anyway. Why doesn't she just tank them? Do the writers have her do this because it looks cool?

2. Another thing I don't understand is purpose of the Invisible Jet. In my opinion, it seems like a waste for someone who can fly.

The following things aren't a deal breaker with me at all. It just comes off as weird to me.
    1) It's something that's been inconsistent. Sometimes she's invulnerable, sometimes her skin can be pierced.

2) It still makes since. Sometimes she's got cargo or people that might be awkward trying to carry in her hands.

BANNED

1. Because Diana has for the longest time actually had a vulnerability to pointed objects, which ofc includes most projectile weapons. Also in some cases it's depicted as a sort of cultural thing she was brought up with, she learned it as a child because the other Amazons aren't as durable as she is and sometimes use it rather than carry a shield.

2. It's a relic from the time when Diana could only 'glide on the wind' which lasted up to COIE when he gained the power of proper flight. The reason it keeps coming back however is nostalgia and as a convenient plot mcguffin that Diana just happens to need once in a while when being completely invisible could come in handy.

Whenever it's particularly weird is perhaps up to the viewer to decide, but bear in mind it's no weirder than Superman and his weakness to Kryptonite and red sunlight.

BANNED

Apparently all of Wonder Woman toys are weird

the lasso= weird
    the bracelets= weird
    the invisible plane= weird
    the fortress of solitude which Superman built from 1 sentient kryptonian crystal= legit

That's weird. In the real world, invisible tech is a WIP, for all we know there are invisible planes flying above our heads already unbeknown to us. The invisible plane is actually pretty cool. And sometimes Wonder Woman does need a plane to carry people, like Superman.. if Wonder Woman had an invisible plane in the new 52, Superman wouldn't have to piggyback Wonder Woman to Smallville, and look ridiculous, just saying

#bringbacktheinvisibleplane

She may not need to deflect bullets but she does it anyway because she's a disciplined warrior, and warriors don't get hit!
    Last edited by Pamp_Lusa; 11-22-2015 at 07:10 PM.

Incredible Member

tumblr_nmfoipD74O1rz64nto3_500.jpg

I don't think these things are any wierder than anything else in superhero comics.

All-New Member

1) In the golden age she's not invulnerable. She's just like a normal human who can jump really high, run faster than a car and have the strength to lift a train. Bullet can still kill her.

2) Like I said, in the golden age she can't fly. She can only jump high so she needs an invisible jet to travel around. Beside, it's cool back then.

BANNED

1. She's not invulnerable, bullets can kill her. Hence, the dodging and deflecting (with the bracelets) of bullets.

2. She can't fly, so she uses a stealth jet. What's weird about that? It could be written to be visible to the naked eye but invisible to radar and electronic image-resolution if you like. In a movie it would likely be this way, since invisible things don't translate well on cinema screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewing_A23 View Post
    1) In the golden age she's not invulnerable. She's just like a normal human who can jump really high, run faster than a car and have the strength to lift a train. Bullet can still kill her.

2) Like I said, in the golden age she can't fly. She can only jump high so she needs an invisible jet to travel around. Beside, it's cool back then.
    This. And nostalgia is why the bracelets and plane are still around, even though Diana's become powerful enough to not really need them (you know, normally). They're both iconic aspects of her visual appeal.

Various versions of the jet have also served as a kind of mobile command center for Diana as well, with enough cargo room for armor and weapons, supplies, communication equipment, passengers, captives, and so on. I like to think of it as more a utility device than something she needs just for transport.

Of course, I also like the idea of Diana commanding the plane mentally and having the thing equipped with highly advanced weapons so you're not just fighting the goddess in front of you, but her stealth, super-sonic fighter too.

The bracelets, its a cultural thing most of the time I guess. Though personally I'd like to see Diana vulnerable enough to make them more than just decorative. Go back to the power level where she was essentially immune to standard weapons but advanced tech or high-end superhumans could hurt her.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Talking OFF Topic/ ON Topic

The 2009 animated movie brings the Invisible Jet out of nowhere... I mean how advanced is Amazonian technology? They still wear togas and armor... There's a reason for the Robo Saurus not being in any movie Batcave. Hard to explain (yeah its superhero comics but still you gotta explain it).
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 12-13-2015 at 09:37 AM.

batnbreakfast,

If you wish someone to answer your question about the Animated movie, the best way to do so is to start a new thread about it. The only people who are here are people who are discussing the bracelets and invisible plane. Likewise, if people DO answer your question on this thread and a discussion occurs, that would be seen as derailing the original intent of the thread and you will be asked to get back on topic.

Thank you,

Javier

Quote Originally Posted by Pamp_Lusa View Post
    Apparently all of Wonder Woman toys are weird

the lasso= weird
    the bracelets= weird
    the invisible plane= weird
    the fortress of solitude which Superman built from 1 sentient kryptonian crystal= legit

That's weird. In the real world, invisible tech is a WIP, for all we know there are invisible planes flying above our heads already unbeknown to us. The invisible plane is actually pretty cool. And sometimes Wonder Woman does need a plane to carry people, like Superman.. if Wonder Woman had an invisible plane in the new 52, Superman wouldn't have to piggyback Wonder Woman to Smallville, and look ridiculous, just saying

#bringbacktheinvisibleplane

She may not need to deflect bullets but she does it anyway because she's a disciplined warrior, and warriors don't get hit!
    Thank you, Pamp Lusa, for calling out the bizarre double standard that greets femmes of action across genres.

Also regarding the deflecting, it helps to minimize civilian casualties as she not only prevents the bullets from striking but is also aiming each ricochet to safely land so no damage is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Also regarding the deflecting, it helps to minimize civilian casualties as she not only prevents the bullets from striking but is also aiming each ricochet to safely land so no damage is done.
    Not to mention she's skilled enough not just to defect but to reflect those attacks back at their attackers or in the direction she chooses.