Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    Even though, I've taken a bit of interest in Wonder Woman lately, I have to say I'm not really understanding these two things:

1. Why does she deflect anything with her bracelets? She's invulnerable anyway. Why doesn't she just tank them? Do the writers have her do this because it looks cool?

2. Another thing I don't understand is purpose of the Invisible Jet. In my opinion, it seems like a waste for someone who can fly.

The following things aren't a deal breaker with me at all. It just comes off as weird to me.
    I think you’ve caught onto some modern day inconsistencies, because, writers after Marston refused to stay loyal and consistent with the character, especially post-crisis; Azzarello actually started to get back true to the character in relation to the bracelets, but, sort of in the opposite way that Marston seemed focused.

1) Aside from deflecting bullets or pointed objects, the bracelets are meant to represent one of the character’s weaknesses like Kryptonite for Superman. While writers have stayed true to Superman’s origins, in relation to Kryptonite, writers have drastically escaped Wonder Woman’s origins, because of a long effort to divorce Wonder Woman from the BDSM component of her origins. When Wonder Woman’s bracelets are chained together, she is supposed to be reduce to the strength and abilities of a normal woman (e.g. I was attracted to the Wonder Woman comic because of the BDSM and I wish for it to be returned; until it’s returned and Dr. Psycho is a regular character in her book, I believe the book will most likely continue to struggle and that it’s sale’s number are far below its potential; if the BDSM were returned, I think the book will surge to and remain at 110,000 copies and the current plans to keep her immersed in Greek Mythology will drive it down below 30,000 in very short order; if the creative team is not directed to change plans or the new creative team decides to follow the same plan, as with Finch, it will fall below 30,000 in 14 months or less, or, very nearly so); as Azzarello showed, when her bracelets are removed, her strength increases; additionally, the bracelets are supposed to be her protection from bullets and sharp objects, because she is supposed to be vulnerable to them. Virtually every Marston story had these weaknesses under display, so, DC allowed its editors to not hold the writes to cannon. Now, since post crisis particularly, no writer has considered addressing the affects of chaining her bracelets together (e.g. well Mesner-Loebs did, except, it was left confusing, because females instead of males tried to chain her bracelets together); given that Azzarello has shown her to receive a power boost by removing the bracelets, it stands to reason that chaining them together should weaken her; Dr. Psycho seems to have confirmed this in a cameo appearance in a Justice League issue, but, as you know, Dr. Psycho has yet to appear in Wonder Woman’s comic.

2) As an earlier poster said, this seems to be more a relic, since DC is not forcing the writers to remain true to the character’s origin in the same vein as Superman and Batman. And this approach is actually starting to wear thin with me.
    Last edited by dshipp17; 12-13-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    The 2009 animated movie brings the Invisible Jet out of nowhere... I mean how advanced is Amazonian technology? They still wear togas and armor... There's a reason for the Robo Saurus not being in any movie Batcave. Hard to explain (yeah its superhero comics but still you gotta explain it).
    On the commentary track the filmmakers mention that there was an explanation for the invisible jet in the original script but it was cut for time reasons.

Hey, another use for the jet...invisible missiles!

BANNED

She wasn`t invulnerable as per her creation and the bracelet thing is now part of her iconity as a character. This has changed since then but it`s been consistantly inconsistant thought publication.

That being said, that page is hilariously meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    1. Why does she deflect anything with her bracelets? She's invulnerable anyway.
    I have a question about your premise. I should warn you, first, that I haven't bought any of the Wonder Woman comics of the last few years, so I may be way out of date on this. But my question is:

Has there ever been a "canonical" Wonder Woman story -- in any version of her continuity -- which actually showed us that if a bullet strikes her bare arm, for instance, it will just harmlessly bounce off her skin, instead of drilling a hole in her flesh?

I ask because I don't believe I have ever seen or heard of any such story! I find myself wondering if you are just assuming that the bullets flying in her direction wouldn't do any damage if she didn't block 'em with her bracelets?
    Last edited by Lorendiac; 01-01-2016 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    I have a question about your premise. I should warn you, first, that I haven't bought any of the Wonder Woman comics of the last few years, so I may be way out of date on this. But my question is:

Has there ever been a "canonical" Wonder Woman story -- in any version of her continuity -- which actually showed us that if a bullet strikes her bare arm, for instance, it will just harmlessly bounce off her skin, instead of drilling a hole in her flesh?

I ask because I don't believe I have ever seen or heard of any such story! I find myself wondering if you are just assuming that the bullets flying in her direction wouldn't do any damage if she didn't block 'em with her bracelets?
    I mean, there's plenty of times she has been hit directly by things much stronger than bullets. But to your question, I believe she was hit by a barrage of bullets in a Superman/Wonder Woman issue. Diana does have superhuman durability but some things could hurt her. Like heat vision or something.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I mean, there's plenty of times she has been hit directly by things much stronger than bullets. But to your question, I believe she was hit by a barrage of bullets in a Superman/Wonder Woman issue. Diana does have superhuman durability but some things could hurt her. Like heat vision or something.
    "Superman/Wonder Woman" is part of the "DCnU Wonder Woman" stuff that I admitted I've never read. As far as I know, the moment you describe may be the first time in recorded history that bullets have ever been shown colliding with Wonder Woman's superpowered flesh.

One question: You say she was "hit" by a barrage of bullets in one scene. What, exactly, happened next? For instance, did readers see all the bullets had just fallen to the floor without so much as bruising Diana's skin?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Not to mention she's skilled enough not just to defect but to reflect those attacks back at their attackers or in the direction she chooses.
    Gaelforce, that is one of the things I miss most between modern WW and Pre-Crisis WW. She did that sort of thing quite regularly and with glee.

All-New Member

Maybe her jet is invisible so that she can have a complete view of her surroundings while in flight?

wonderwomanjet.jpg

Still waiting to have Wonder Woman lego set complete with invisible jet, tho.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dshipp17 View Post
    I think you’ve caught onto some modern day inconsistencies, because, writers after Marston refused to stay loyal and consistent with the character, especially post-crisis; Azzarello actually started to get back true to the character in relation to the bracelets, but, sort of in the opposite way that Marston seemed focused.

1) Aside from deflecting bullets or pointed objects, the bracelets are meant to represent one of the character’s weaknesses like Kryptonite for Superman. While writers have stayed true to Superman’s origins, in relation to Kryptonite, writers have drastically escaped Wonder Woman’s origins, because of a long effort to divorce Wonder Woman from the BDSM component of her origins. When Wonder Woman’s bracelets are chained together, she is supposed to be reduce to the strength and abilities of a normal woman (e.g. I was attracted to the Wonder Woman comic because of the BDSM and I wish for it to be returned; until it’s returned and Dr. Psycho is a regular character in her book, I believe the book will most likely continue to struggle and that it’s sale’s number are far below its potential; if the BDSM were returned, I think the book will surge to and remain at 110,000 copies and the current plans to keep her immersed in Greek Mythology will drive it down below 30,000 in very short order; if the creative team is not directed to change plans or the new creative team decides to follow the same plan, as with Finch, it will fall below 30,000 in 14 months or less, or, very nearly so); as Azzarello showed, when her bracelets are removed, her strength increases; additionally, the bracelets are supposed to be her protection from bullets and sharp objects, because she is supposed to be vulnerable to them. Virtually every Marston story had these weaknesses under display, so, DC allowed its editors to not hold the writes to cannon. Now, since post crisis particularly, no writer has considered addressing the affects of chaining her bracelets together (e.g. well Mesner-Loebs did, except, it was left confusing, because females instead of males tried to chain her bracelets together); given that Azzarello has shown her to receive a power boost by removing the bracelets, it stands to reason that chaining them together should weaken her; Dr. Psycho seems to have confirmed this in a cameo appearance in a Justice League issue, but, as you know, Dr. Psycho has yet to appear in Wonder Woman’s comic.

2) As an earlier poster said, this seems to be more a relic, since DC is not forcing the writers to remain true to the character’s origin in the same vein as Superman and Batman. And this approach is actually starting to wear thin with me.
    I am intrigued and impressed by your mathematical skill. Please explain your algorithm to me.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

The bracelets and invisible jet are allegories for issues face. The bracelets are from their chains they used to wear when Heracules subjected the amazons to slavery. It's an allegory to women bring subjugated to men. Specifically their husbands and fathers.

The invisible jet was an allegory to their presence and voice in the workforce in the context of post WWII America.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    The invisible jet was an allegory to their presence and voice in the workforce in the context of post WWII America.
    Except the jet showed up in Sensation Comics #1, which came out less than a month after Pearl Harbor.

But yeah, both the jet and the bracelets began as metaphors. The bracelet one can look pretty sketchy to modern audiences, which might be why they've mostly dropped it (the metaphor, not the bracelets themselves).
    Last edited by Bosch; 02-06-2016 at 12:41 AM.

BANNED

It's all understandable to me. I'm partially new to Wonder Woman, so there are things that I am still trying to figure out. For me, I've been reading comics for a long time. I am used to bullets bouncing off of heroes. People like Superman and Luke Cage do it all the time. I appreciate the insight.