Default Star Wars Movies/TV Series order to watch

Hey all, first of all apologies if this has already been posted.

I'm planning to marathon the SW Films & TV series together, but I have only seen the films, not the cartoons.

I was wondering in what order should I watch them all together?

Also whether all the series are worth watching (Clone Wars, The Clone Wars - what's the difference btw? - and Rebels).

Thanks!

Fantastic Member

Clone Wars was a 2D animated series released first; The Clone Wars had 3D animation more similar to say Pixar style. Clone Wars is considered non-canon, The Clone Wars is still in canon. Basic breakdown is this:

The Phantom Menace-Attack of the Clone-The Clone Wars*-Revenge of the Sith- Rebels-A New Hope-The Empire Strikes Back-Return of the Jedi.

*The Clone Wars was not aired in chronological order. For a chronological viewing order, I would suggest you go off this timeline:
    http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wa...l-episodeorder

Overall, I'd say they are all worth watching. Clone Wars is good, kind of stylized, and technically no longer in canon. I would still recommend watching it, and if you did, you could insert it with Clone Wars Chapters 1-21-The Clone Wars-Clone Wars Chapter 22-25. That should line up pretty well. The only thing is that you might have a hard time finding it as its out of print. Best chance to find CW would be through used DVD options, such as FYE.
    Last edited by Zorkel567; 11-22-2015 at 09:55 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by clar-el View Post
    Also whether all the series are worth watching (Clone Wars, The Clone Wars - what's the difference btw? - and Rebels).

Thanks!
    Clone Wars is pretty good, but the show did tend to make the Jedi to be nearly omnipotent. Pretty all the featured Jedi are Samurai Jack with strong tk powers capable of wiping out entire armies. It's pretty fun though. It also does a great set up for the battle that rages at the beginning of "Revenge of the Sith".

The Clone Wars are a series of stories that greatly flesh out the characters of the Prequels. Basically, it's the best part of the Prequels. As Zorkel567 mentioned, the episodes are not aired in chronological order. This does hurt the series somewhat as you try to figure out if an episode's events happened before or after other events that had already aired, but overall, the series does a pretty good job showing how Anakin goes from hero to becoming Palpatin's puppet amongst other things. It isn't perfect, but it is far better than any of the Prequel movies.

Thanks both! Really helpful advice!

Extraordinary Member

Ep I:
    EP II:
    Clone wars movie
    CG tv series
    Animated shorts (some had Akinkin as a padiwan)
    EP III
    Rebels
    Droids
    New Hope
    The holiday special ( if you are brave)
    Empire
    Ewoks: Caravan of Courage
    Ewoks: Battle of Endor
    Return
    Last edited by Deadxman; 11-23-2015 at 03:25 AM.

BANNED

Here's what you do, you start with the first movie, Star Wars. Then, once that's over, you move onto The Empire Stirkes Back. Onces that movie is over, you watch Return of the Jedi; and then you just stop watching Star Wars movies. If for some reason you still feel the need to watch other Star Wars movies, then keep watching them in the order they came out in...since that's the order they're meant to be watched in.

Star Wars Clone Wars, that would be the Genndy Tartakovsky cartoon, is also really good. So watch that even if you don't watch the prequels. And after that there isn't any need to watch any of the other Star Wars cartoons.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    Ep I:
    EP II:
    Clone wars movie
    CG tv series
    Animated shorts (some had Akinkin as a padiwan)
    EP III
    Rebels
    Droids
    New Hope
    The holiday special ( if you are brave)
    Empire
    Ewoks: Caravan of Courage
    Ewoks: Battle of Endor
    Return
    Even the strongest of men shudder at the mere mention of the Star Wars holiday special.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Here's what you do, you start with the first movie, Star Wars. Then, once that's over, you move onto The Empire Stirkes Back. Onces that movie is over, you watch Return of the Jedi; and then you just stop watching Star Wars movies. If for some reason you still feel the need to watch other Star Wars movies, then keep watching them in the order they came out in...since that's the order they're meant to be watched in.

Star Wars Clone Wars, that would be the Genndy Tartakovsky cartoon, is also really good. So watch that even if you don't watch the prequels. And after that there isn't any need to watch any of the other Star Wars cartoons.
    Holy crap. The apocalypse is imminent, because I TOTALLY agree with everything that simbob said.

Although the Clone Wars (CG series) starts off kind of bad with the pilot movie (Which was intended to be on TV but Lucas put it in theathers), it actually gets pretty good once the series gets rolling. Sure, there's still some groaners (as Jar-Jar does show up again a few times), but overall it's much better and actually fleshes out the characters and plotlines better than the films did (The final season-while not complete due to Disney's purchase-did deal with some of the dangling plotlines, such as Order 66, Sifo-Dyas, why Yoda chose Dagobah). The show's producer/director David Filoni is also willing to admit to his mistakes, unlike Lucas.

One thing the series doesn't quite have is a linear continuity though, a lot of the episodes are out of chronological order. There's even an episode that takes place before the battle from the pilot movie!
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-23-2015 at 07:16 AM.