Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batman Eternal

Default Batman Eternal

So I am also starting Batman Eternal, finally. Enjoyed the first issue. I just need to know where it spins off to Gotham by Midnight, Arkham Manor, Catwoman's Mafia run, and when it starts and ends during the Batman and Detective Comics runs.

Anyone here able to help me out here?

Extraordinary Member

The plot of Catwoman's Mafia run has no real connections to the plot of Eternal. And is probaly set after it.

The only issue Batman issue connected to Eternal is Batman 28 (which was published as kind of a teaser), The rest of the Batman issues until #33 belong to the zero Year story arc wich is set 5 years in the past, and from #35 on they belong to Endgame which is set after Eternal. (#34 is iirc set before Eternal but it's more connected to Endgame).

Detective Comics ignores Eternal and Endgame completely up to issue 40, than they had an special Endgame issue and issue 41 is already post endgame.

I don't know about the spin offs.

What was the general consensus from fans regarding Batman Eternal?

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
    Started off strong, but got caught spinning its wheels for too long with filler plots, obvious red herrings, and Tynion-penned dud issues.

It was really heart pumping until it got extended for way too long. Saw some ugly arts with the issue with centipede girl. Then I got amnesia and forgot the other parts of the story.

Incredible Member

Having just read it all in trade without waiting weekly, it was pretty damn good.

Extraordinary Member

Good beginning. Good ending. Dragged in the middle. But still one of the better post-reboot Batman books.

and when does Eternal actually take place during Snyder's Batman, Detective Comics, Batman & Robin?

Extraordinary Member

Like I said, between Batman 33 and 35 (34 is unclear) and after Detective Comics 40 and Batman & Robin 40.

BANNED

I just started Vol 1 (got 1 and 2 in digital form as a birthday present). I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. Jason Fabok's art is fantastic.

Quick Question, Was the confrontation from 5 years ago between Catwoman and Falcone (where she scarred him) and when Falcone left Gotham and went to Hong Kong in any pre-New 52 Batman issues or is this entirely new for New 52?

Extraordinary Member

Quick Question, Was the confrontation from 5 years ago between Catwoman and Falcone (where she scarred him) and when Falcone left Gotham and went to Hong Kong in any pre-New 52 Batman issues or is this entirely new for New 52?
    It is probaly a reference to Batman Year One.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Like I said, between Batman 33 and 35 (34 is unclear) and after Detective Comics 40 and Batman & Robin 40.
    I don't think after Batman & Robin #40 because Red Robin talked with Bruce about how he's fucked up with Joker situation, Damian being dead, and now Nightwing being "dead". So I think it's before the Robin Rises arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    It is probaly a reference to Batman Year One.
    But I thought Zero Year "replaced" Year One?

Extraordinary Member

I don't think after Batman & Robin #40 because Red Robin talked with Bruce about how he's fucked up with Joker situation, Damian being dead, and now Nightwing being "dead". So I think it's before the Robin Rises arc.
    But in Robin Rises Bruce still lives in Wayne Manor.
    The both storys have anyway no impact on the other one, so you can read them in any order you like.

But I thought Zero Year "replaced" Year One?
    It has, but Catwoman scratching Falcone happened in Batman Year One and in no other stroryline I'm aware of.

Selina scratching Falcone in Eternal is a homage to Year One without it being a reference. In YO, Selina sneaks into Falcone's penthouse and scratches him while he's unconscious. In Eternal, she's shown actually struggling with him.

Keep in mind that post-New 52, Snyder's philosophy seems to be to borrow stuff from prior eras--particularly the post-Crisis--where he feels it's appropriate. At this point, I would assume that none of the Post-Crisis continuity happened in any form (except for the Morrison stuff which bled into Nu52) unless Snyder and co decide to explicitly borrow/reference/homage it.