Thread: Death Head

ZackKeller

Default Death Head

Hey Guys and Gals! Zack Keller here. I'm the creator/writer for DEATH HEAD by Dark Horse Comics. It was just announced that my 6-issue miniseries is coming out July 15, 2015. If you have any questions about the series, or just wanna chat about comics and plague doctors, let me know!

I saw the sollicitations for the first issue. It looks exciting.
    I don't think my LCS will order it for me, though, So I'll get the trade.

I just read this. It was very spooky, I was impressed. I liked the IT reference with the paper boat going down the sewer. I will definitely be sticking with this series.
    Horror is often tough to translate into comics, and many writers fail by thinking they need to shoehorn heavy violence into every issue. This book sold scares with the atmosphere and concepts instead. Dark Horse has been nailing it with cool #1s lately, between this, The Fiction, and Tomorrows.

Has anyone checked this out yet? The series is very spooky and extremely promising. Issue 2 dropped today and completely sucked me in. The creators had cool notes in the back on their feelings about insanity, and they put a lot of the developments of this issue into context in terms of what the issue was trying to achieve.
    spoilers:
    I was especially freaked out by the seagull scene. One of the creators wrote how they always feared they might go insane, which is an irrational fear I share, and that seagull moment was truly freaky. Trying to put myself in that characters shoes where you would have to sit down and mentally admit to yourself "I am losing my mind" is a terrifying prospect. Although it was kind of funny how his daughter was unintentionally rubbing it in by declaring something along the lines of "I hope I never come down with dementia"
    end of spoilers

Apparently I'm now just talking to myself in this thread, but word needs to be spread about this book.
    The final issue came out last week, but I couldn;t pick it up from Newbury til today and just read it.
    It sounds like this is probably the last issue of the book, barring the exception of it gaining posthumous fame with the TPB and there being great demand for the continued adventures of this family. The guy at the comic shop said he had been reading it, too, but didn't realize this was the last issue ever and thought #7 was on the horizon.

Did anyone here stick with it til the end? I loved the series, and they wrapped up enough plot so that the ending didn;t leave me frustrated. So it's still worth reading even if there won;t be new issues, but I'd love it if enough people got behind this so that a second arc could become a reality for them someday. Good horror comics are too rare these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Apparently I'm now just talking to myself in this thread, but word needs to be spread about this book.
    The final issue came out last week, but I couldn;t pick it up from Newbury til today and just read it.
    It sounds like this is probably the last issue of the book, barring the exception of it gaining posthumous fame with the TPB and there being great demand for the continued adventures of this family. The guy at the comic shop said he had been reading it, too, but didn't realize this was the last issue ever and thought #7 was on the horizon.

Did anyone here stick with it til the end? I loved the series, and they wrapped up enough plot so that the ending didn;t leave me frustrated. So it's still worth reading even if there won;t be new issues, but I'd love it if enough people got behind this so that a second arc could become a reality for them someday. Good horror comics are too rare these days.
    I was always under the impression that this title was a mini-series (six issues?); so I was planning to pick it up when the TPB was released.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    I was always under the impression that this title was a mini-series (six issues?); so I was planning to pick it up when the TPB was released.
    It was announced as a mini, but the writer kept talking in the letters page about how if it sold well, we could get more arcs. But the letters page in the final issue sounded more skeptical about that future unless the TPB sold well. Hopefully more people are like you and were just waiting for things to wrap up, and some word of mouth can get this book a second wind.