Default DMZ (Vertigo) collections sale on comiXology - did you like the series?

comiXology is running a week long sale on DMZ collections. I believe all 12 "trades" are $5.99.

I've read the first 12 issues previously. Before reading them, I was interested in the premise of the series. After reading them, I did not like the main character at all and did not really get into the execution of the premise. I had no interest in continuing at that time. Reviews on the rest of the series from the internet vary widely, from continued and further dislike of Matty and the rest of the story (in the negative), to others thinking it was one of the best series they've read (in the positive).

What are your impressions of DMZ, if you read it? Did you read it all? Did you drop it at some point? Did you like the series or not?

I'm always tempted by the Vertigo sales on comiXology. Even for a series like this one that I've sampled and not really liked, I'm still tempted. What say you on DMZ?

I read all of it and liked it at the time. Not sure if it's for everyone, though. ¯\(°_o)/¯
    BB

Incredible Member

My experience was similar. I hated Matty, stopped reading. I eventually went back and finished it, and while there were some memorable moments and characters, I generally felt like I didn't believe the story, and I just wanted Matty to get out of the way the whole time.

BANNED

I read some of it and I got a feeling of pretentiousness about it.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jade_nova View Post
    I read some of it and I got a feeling of pretentiousness about it.
    Not sure I get pretension out of the book, but it's certainly not for everyone. If you don't mind having your pre-conceptions challenged a bit, I think it's a worthy book. The ending is on the weak side, though.

It was the weakest new Vertigo book when it launched, in my opinion. In my perfect world, Exterminators would have run the length of DMZ. (Aslo, Astro City would be the highest selling superhero book these days Oh, well, I'm an "elitest".)

Have only read the first trade, but I'm getting the rest. Bad Brian Wood is still worth reading IMO and I like the premise.
    Engaging discussion of comics 10 years old or older http://classiccomics.boards.net

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still on the fence, so here's a bump headed into the weekend.

Astonishing Member

It's solid, but unremarkable. Sort of typical of Brian Wood's work, really. Some decent character stuff and world building. Never felt pretentious at all, even as overused as that term is.

That said, I try not to support anything by Brian Wood these days. Personal preference, really.