Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Cool JJ by Isaac Goodhart

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

isaacgoodhar
    Thanks for sharing juan678!

Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo View Post
    I recently re-read Alias in preparation for the TV series and I just remembered how good this series was. Bendis really did something special with Jessica. As I was reading I realised how unfortunately most of the storylines couldn't be adapted in the series because there are too many interactions with characters and concepts of the MU, and that is sad. I really liked the story with Mattie Franklin and also the first one with Cap, but both are for different reasons impossible to adapt. Still, I can enjoy reading them again and again
    Bendis writing in that series is the best I've ever seen from him, well that and Daredevil. He was in his prime right there.

However, I seriously hated Jessica Jones as a character, I find her extremely unlikable as a character.

I recently re-read Alias in preparation for the TV series and I just remembered how good this series was. Bendis really did something special with Jessica. As I was reading I realised how unfortunately most of the storylines couldn't be adapted in the series because there are too many interactions with characters and concepts of the MU, and that is sad. I really liked the story with Mattie Franklin and also the first one with Cap, but both are for different reasons impossible to adapt. Still, I can enjoy reading them again and again

Overall, I think that there isn't much to be told about Jessica nowadays. Like most characters that were monopolised by their creators, Jessica was almost exclusively used by Bendis (I seriously can't remember a story of her written by somebody else) and at the moment she doesn't have enough strength to support a solo series, IMHO. She doesn't have unique powers, she doesn't have much connections with the rest of the MU and she doesn't have many enemies.
    Plus, I think that at the moment Marvel isn't really going for a series with motherhood and issues like this, given how in the past couple of years they have been trying to break up most of the weddings. Spider-Woman is really an exception and in anyway it is too similar to what a series about Jessica would be.
    Alias really was something special.

I know plenty of comic book fans who were scratching their heads wondering why a character like Jessica Jones is getting her own TV show ahead of so many other more established comic book characters. But my answer was always that Alias was simply that good. Good enough to ALMOST get a show on ABC before getting one on Net Flicks. Alias was something special and Jessica Jones was something special. A lot of comic book readers never quite got that... but I'm glad people at marvel and at Disney did. And we're seeing the results of that on Net Flicks now.

As far as other characters using her... Heinberg used her in Young Avengers and Ewing used her fairly regularly in Mighty Avengers. Not a lot... but she thankfully never faded off into limbo like a lot of other characters without decades worth of showings have.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Good enough to ALMOST get a show on ABC before getting one on Net Flicks. Alias was something special and Jessica Jones was something special. A lot of comic book readers never quite got that... but I'm glad people at marvel and at Disney did. And we're seeing the results of that on Net Flicks now.
    I'm sort of glad that ABC series didn't pan out - I don't think they would have had the creative freedom on ABC that they had on Netflix. I don't think they could have done what they did with Jessica Jones were it on a main network.

But you're right... I almost can't imagine them giving Jessica a new series of her own. Alias is going to be a nearly impossible act to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    I'm sort of glad that ABC series didn't pan out - I don't think they would have had the creative freedom on ABC that they had on Netflix. I don't think they could have done what they did with Jessica Jones were it on a main network.

But you're right... I almost can't imagine them giving Jessica a new series of her own. Alias is going to be a nearly impossible act to follow.
    Yeah... network TV really couldn't have done Alias justice. It had to be something like Net Flicks or HBO or whatever. Even if you take out the swearing and nudity, the themes almost need to be watered down to get on a family oriented network TV like ABC. It's sort of like how the book went from being Alias as a Max title to Pulse as a mainstream one. Something in the translation is lost.

Purple Man in particular can't be utilized to his fullest with a G rating. That said, I hope at one point they do TRY and he shows up on Agents of SHIELD or something (and I know how things ended with him but I"m still hopefull).

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I think that it'd be interesting if they did a new volume of Alias, but set in the present. So much of the original book was about Jessica at her lowest point and dealing with her PTSD/unresolved trauma. Well you do a new book now, when she's at a much better place in life (she seems to have mostly gotten over her PTSD, or at least learned to deal with it better, she's happily married and has a kid, she's not alone anymore, etc). Then you compare/contrast how she handled situations back then vs. how she'd handle them now, it could be really interesting.

I'm also kind of surprised/disappointed that she'd apparently not in the new Power Man/Iron Fist book that they're working on. And as for the show, I'd really like Krysten Ritter to get some awards consideration (she's that fantastic). I know that it probably won't happen, but still a guy can dream.
    David Walker already said Jessica will be the book's main supporting character.

I'd sure love to see her on her own ongoing again, Bendis already set it up nicely in his 75th Anniversary story. I'm just concerned that a lot of the appeal from the original series was her self-destructive nature, now that she's a lot more subdued it would need to have a very clear hook to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post

I'd sure love to see her on her own ongoing again, Bendis already set it up nicely in his 75th Anniversary story. I'm just concerned that a lot of the appeal from the original series was her self-destructive nature, now that she's a lot more subdued it would need to have a very clear hook to succeed.
    That's a good point.

And I think that's part of the reason why comics sometimes don't want their characters to "grow up" so to speak.

Jessica grew as a person... which in a lot of ways is great. She went from a very damaged young woman to a reasonably together wife and mother. On one hand it's great that she was able to overcome her issues and grow as a person. But on the flip side, I think a lot of the baggage which she was able to overcome were in fact some of the things which made her story interesting. I think that's why it's cool seeing old school Jessica on the TV show. Grown up Jessica still has plenty of stories to tell as an ex-super heroine turned mother... but the younger self-destructive Jessica had a certain raw appeal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

As for a new ongoing, I'm sure there are other ways to tell a new story with her. I mean, Bendis found a way at one point.

Ultimate Member

That's a good point.

And I think that's part of the reason why comics sometimes don't want their characters to "grow up" so to speak.

Jessica grew as a person... which in a lot of ways is great. She went from a very damaged young woman to a reasonably together wife and mother. On one hand it's great that she was able to overcome her issues and grow as a person. But on the flip side, I think a lot of the baggage which she was able to overcome were in fact some of the things which made her story interesting. I think that's why it's cool seeing old school Jessica on the TV show. Grown up Jessica still has plenty of stories to tell as an ex-super heroine turned mother... but the younger self-destructive Jessica had a certain raw appeal.
    I've sort of come to believe that the whole "characters never really change" thing is just a convenient excuse/out for writers. Either they're not good enough to come up with much new or interesting stuff, or they just don't want to put in the little bit extra effort. Easier to do the same thing over and over and over and over again, just with a slightly different coat of paint and all that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post

Hopefully she gets to actual DO STUFF this time. For example, as good as Ewing's MA run was overall, his use (or lack thereof) or her was one of my biggest disappointments. That's seems to be a trend. Luke can be a husband/father, but is still played up as an important character in the MU who gets to do stuff. But Jessica, most of the time she's reduced to just being the "wife/mother" who's in the background with Danielle, and occasionally gets to punch something or make a witty remark. So underwhelming.

I agree that ABC wouldn't have done it right as much as Netflix did. I'm still at episode 7, but still I can say that. My guess is that at ABC it would have been the classic P.I. story with occasional superpower showdown and monster of the week situations.
    But really the simple fact that a series about her was in the works even before the Netflix agreements, it speaks volumes of the concept of Alias. It was indeed a very strong concept, not entirely original (Jessica Drew was already a PI) but since the character is basically brand new is easier to develop and show.

Alias really was something special.

I know plenty of comic book fans who were scratching their heads wondering why a character like Jessica Jones is getting her own TV show ahead of so many other more established comic book characters. But my answer was always that Alias was simply that good. Good enough to ALMOST get a show on ABC before getting one on Net Flicks. Alias was something special and Jessica Jones was something special. A lot of comic book readers never quite got that... but I'm glad people at marvel and at Disney did. And we're seeing the results of that on Net Flicks now.

As far as other characters using her... Heinberg used her in Young Avengers and Ewing used her fairly regularly in Mighty Avengers. Not a lot... but she thankfully never faded off into limbo like a lot of other characters without decades worth of showings have.
    Didn't read MA so I can't say much. I think at this point (also with the tv show) she is so interconnected with Luke that the only way she can fade into oblivion is if something happens to their marriage or Danielle.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Hopefully she gets to actual DO STUFF this time. For example, as good as Ewing's MA run was overall, his use (or lack thereof) or her was one of my biggest disappointments. That's seems to be a trend. Luke can be a husband/father, but is still played up as an important character in the MU who gets to do stuff. But Jessica, most of the time she's reduced to just being the "wife/mother" who's in the background with Danielle, and occasionally gets to punch something or make a witty remark. So underwhelming.
    I think that to some degree is something Jessica fans will have to get used to.

Hers is more a story of an EX super hero than super hero. In large part she has hung up her tights, even though she did give it another shot in New Avengers. That doesn't mean she won't stand by Cage on at least a semi-regular basis... but the nature of her character sort of demands that she take a far more limited role than more active super heroes. Jessica still did get her hands dirty in Ewings Mighty Avengers... but really she's no longer a super hero and she wasn't even on the team.

If she does ever get some sort of on-going herself, I'm sure she will see a bit more action though. We'll see.

I agree that ABC wouldn't have done it right as much as Netflix did. I'm still at episode 7, but still I can say that. My guess is that at ABC it would have been the classic P.I. story with occasional superpower showdown and monster of the week situations.
    But really the simple fact that a series about her was in the works even before the Netflix agreements, it speaks volumes of the concept of Alias. It was indeed a very strong concept, not entirely original (Jessica Drew was already a PI) but since the character is basically brand new is easier to develop and show.

Didn't read MA so I can't say much. I think at this point (also with the tv show) she is so interconnected with Luke that the only way she can fade into oblivion is if something happens to their marriage or Danielle.
    It is POSSIBLE to completely ignore Jessica. She didn't show up on in Thunderbolts when Cage was leading that team for example.

But I do think for the MOST part writers that use Cage want to use Jessica. I think Jessica and Danielly allow writers to tell stories with Cage that they can't tell with other heroes... there aren't many who are both husbands and fathers. Reed is an obvious exception, but his situation is so different and unrelatable that it almost doesn't count. And I imagine the TV show will now only reinforce the interest in continuing to use Jessica in Luke stories.

The nice thing about Jessica is that she's not JUST Lukes Lois Lane or Mary Jane though. She's a character that's very intricate to Cages life now, to the point where she's usually part of the package, yet she's also a character indepenent of him to the degree that writers can tell Jessica Jones stories without Cage. I think you can argue this is the best handled comic book marriage or even comic book relationship at marvel.

It is POSSIBLE to completely ignore Jessica. She didn't show up on in Thunderbolts when Cage was leading that team for example.

But I do think for the MOST part writers that use Cage want to use Jessica. I think Jessica and Danielly allow writers to tell stories with Cage that they can't tell with other heroes... there aren't many who are both husbands and fathers. Reed is an obvious exception, but his situation is so different and unrelatable that it almost doesn't count. And I imagine the TV show will now only reinforce the interest in continuing to use Jessica in Luke stories.

The nice thing about Jessica is that she's not JUST Lukes Lois Lane or Mary Jane though. She's a character that's very intricate to Cages life now, to the point where she's usually part of the package, yet she's also a character indepenent of him to the degree that writers can tell Jessica Jones stories without Cage. I think you can argue this is the best handled comic book marriage or even comic book relationship at marvel.
    I'm with you completely.

I was just saying that Jessica can't be always overlook or forgotten since she's married to Luke. Clearly she won't appear every time that Luke is around, especially in group stories. But if Luke has a solo series (or something like Heroes for Hire) she would definitely be around. And I think it's what works best for the character.

Ultimate Member

I still don't get why she couldn't be on the MA team. As for the whole "story about an ex-superhero is more compelling," that was true when they were actually DOING SOMETHING with it. It worked in Alias because Bendis was exploring her state of mind and what her past trauma/failures had done to her. Now, it's just a case of "she stands around and doesn't really do anything." The "ex" concept is no longer interesting because they're not actually doing anything with it. They're NOT exploring her state of mind, they're NOT telling stories with her outside of Luke (but they ARE doing that with him of course), they're not doing anything with her really aside from "oh she's Luke's wife who stands in the corner and holds the kid." Basically, it's just a waste of a good character.

Also, Bendis had her basically unofficially "unretired" during his Avengers run, complete with a new codename. And her role just being "standing by Luke" really does reduce her in comparison to him (whereas what made their relationship interesting in the first place was that they were kind of equals, which the TV show got down REALLY well). It puts her in a subordinate position, which is both lame and problematic.