Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Grayson #14 Preview/Discussion

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2015/11...eks-grayson/2/

Its always a bit disappointing when its not Janin doing the art on this series, but Mooney's a good fill in. His faces can be rather inconsistent though.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-24-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2015/11...eks-grayson/2/

Its always a bit disappointing when its not Janin doing the art on this series, but Mooney's a good fill in. His faces can be rather inconsistent though.
    Comparing this art to Janin, it looks dreadful.

Expected there to be a fill-in, with Grayson #15 coming out three weeks early to lead Robin War.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Expected there to be a fill-in, with Grayson #15 coming out three weeks early to lead Robin War.
    I didn't even notice that. The wait til #16 is going to be brutal.

I had to get over myself with Mooney and stop sulking. He's not bad and there are few artists who could follow Janin here and not leave me feeling cheated; him and Cox are a big reason the book works so well for me.

I actually thought Mooney's faces have improved the most, at least when they don't show too much emotion. This Issue was certainly had the bigger reveal we waited for and wow, I wonder how many of his own morals Dick broke today. Also, Luka fooled no one.

Man, Mooney's art was pretty rough in this one. Cox's coloring smoothes out a few rough edges, but the faces are still rather off. There are some interesting reveals here, one being that Helena has been suspicious of Dick all along. And if people still are unsure that Luka is Kathy Kane, then they're hopeless.

Incredible Member

Wow! Big reveals in this issue. I had to read this twice. I really liked how Dick used the hypnos. I thought that scene connected beautifully with the flash back and the story of Spyral. The art was okay but the story and writing were awesome. I guess I got spoiled by the consistency of Janin but Mooney isn't bad. It's going to be a long wait for issue 16.

Theory time: Luka has no intention to continue her father's work, and is using Dick to sabotage Spyral from within.

Theory time: Luka has no intention to continue her father's work, and is using Dick to sabotage Spyral from within.
    Huh, could be. Perhaps she always planed to be Leviathan, which again begs the question how Batman Inc. still fits with this and how much of it is still canon. Was Leviathan still mentioned in the current universe as Talia's organization? It was a organisation established under Dedalus even before N52, perhaps Kathy took it back then?

Incredible Member

That's what it looks like to me too but to the writing teams credit they do a nice job of at flipping things.

I'm so unexcited by this event. It's really sad it will be eating up an issue of Grayson.

Always Rakzo

Solid chapter. Nice content and a lot of history being revealed about Spyral.

Mooney's art is hardly as beautiful as Janin's (then again, few works are) but still his storytelling was pretty creative and showed a lot of interesting scenes.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

This issue reminded me of "The Monarchy". Which is one of the highest compliments I could give something...
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

This was a surprisingly heavy issue. Is that the end game for Grayson, for Dick to take down Spyral, and was that Kathys plan all along? Is she using him to get rid of the last of her father's influence. And if it is, does she want to get rid of Spyral or take control of it? Things just get more and more interesting with the Netz family and Spyral.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-25-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Incredible Member

Netz actually being Spyral was the one angle I didn't consider and now I feel really dumb. If Netz already had Alzheimers before he put it into Spyral, does that mean Spyral has a corruption built right into it? It would explain a lot about them.

So much explained in this issue and so much set up. Lovely.

The art felt like i was looking at an impressionist when I'm used to HD. I do think there's a problem when you're looking at a character and thinking "wow, he looks really like the lead... oh, he is..."

I loved that Dick and Porky got a four colour treatment on the variant though. I didn't notice it on the preview.
    Last edited by HellHere; 11-25-2015 at 02:34 PM.