Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    I think the word you're looking for is something closer to RETCONNED rather than redeemed ... not sure you can call this a redemption, she didn't NOT kill the men or do something to actively atone for it, but suddenly she was created with a totally different purpose and as part of Zeus/Zeke's "master plan" and seems to have a whole new purpose for the "Olympic" family?

What I meant is that with all that Donna has been through since Diana showed her the truth with the lasso, she seems to have a much different outlook on life now. She's sounding and acting more like the pre-New 52 Donna and that's a huge step in the right direction IMO.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Since I am out of town for the holidays, I was not able to get ahold of this issue until fairly late. (The nearest store - a really good one! - is quite a trek.)

I found it as bad as most of the posters have said. And then some. Particularly in terms of Diana and her efforts.

Diana wants to get Zeke back to Olympus. She can't. She wants to protect Zeke. But Eirene, the only danger, is ignoring him, and anyway he doesn't need protection. She wants to restore Donna. Baby Zeke does it (and he can't even really talk yet!). She wants to protect Aegeus from Eirene. Eirene either destroys him or teleports him away in disgust.

Diana wants to come to terms with her role as God of War, and is struggling internally to reconcile that with her integrity. That problem is solved, entirely by fiat, when Zeke's machinations restore Ares, and Diana ceases to be God of War. She wants to convince Eirene that Eirene's views of war and peace are harmful and unreasonable. Eirene is still babbling madly about "her love Ares" at the end of the story.

In other words, Diana does not accomplish a single one of her goals. She fails at every turn. The only goals that are accomplished, are done by Zeke waving his hands - possibly a greater density of deus ex machina activities in one comic since the Beyonder first started messing around with the MU. In terms of results and outcomes, the entire story would be largely unchanged if Eirene had just been ranting at the world in general, and Diana had been napping in London for the whole thing.

Eirene's ranting bored me to tears, and went on for so long. I don't know if we were supposed to take them to simply be her madness - in which case, a panel or two might have been enough - or if we were supposed to take them seriously, as the Truth that drove her mad - in which case, blecchhh. (I'm not going to write an essay here on why I thought it was repulsive. I'll just say my opinion is based on my reading of history, and particularly the words of those people - grunts, civilians, children - who bear the brunt.)

And then there's this other part: apparently worship doesn't make the Greek gods immortal. Instead, the Fates make the Greek gods immortal, and worship makes the Fates immortal. (And that wasn't working, what with the lack of worship, so Zeke replaced the Fates with Donna, who draws her power from something other than worship.) Well, okay, if you say so.

But one implication of this: until recently, the Greek gods were immortal. And that doesn't mean "unaging," or "extremely durable" - it means they simply cannot die at all. (As demonstrated by the instantaneous return of the dead Ares and Apollo when Donna gets her groove on.)

Now, how does this mesh with the extremely significant scene we saw some issues ago, when Ares encourages Diana to kill him so that she will take on his position as God of War (with all the powers, or maybe just responsibilities, thereof)? Nobody questions this - they all act like, kill the god of war, become the god of war. But how is that even meaningful if the gods have been, pretty much up until now, fully immortal? Did Ares kill some fully immortal god of war to become god of war? How do you have a sacred protocol based on what happens when you kill a god, if the gods are immortal? It just didn't make much sense to me.

But that's just me.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Since I am out of town for the holidays, I was not able to get ahold of this issue until fairly late. (The nearest store - a really good one! - is quite a trek.)

I found it as bad as most of the posters have said. And then some. Particularly in terms of Diana and her efforts.

Diana wants to get Zeke back to Olympus. She can't. She wants to protect Zeke. But Eirene, the only danger, is ignoring him, and anyway he doesn't need protection. She wants to restore Donna. Baby Zeke does it (and he can't even really talk yet!). She wants to protect Aegeus from Eirene. Eirene either destroys him or teleports him away in disgust.

Diana wants to come to terms with her role as God of War, and is struggling internally to reconcile that with her integrity. That problem is solved, entirely by fiat, when Zeke's machinations restore Ares, and Diana ceases to be God of War. She wants to convince Eirene that Eirene's views of war and peace are harmful and unreasonable. Eirene is still babbling madly about "her love Ares" at the end of the story.

In other words, Diana does not accomplish a single one of her goals. She fails at every turn. The only goals that are accomplished, are done by Zeke waving his hands - possibly a greater density of deus ex machina activities in one comic since the Beyonder first started messing around with the MU. In terms of results and outcomes, the entire story would be largely unchanged if Eirene had just been ranting at the world in general, and Diana had been napping in London for the whole thing.

Eirene's ranting bored me to tears, and went on for so long. I don't know if we were supposed to take them to simply be her madness - in which case, a panel or two might have been enough - or if we were supposed to take them seriously, as the Truth that drove her mad - in which case, blecchhh. (I'm not going to write an essay here on why I thought it was repulsive. I'll just say my opinion is based on my reading of history, and particularly the words of those people - grunts, civilians, children - who bear the brunt.)

And then there's this other part: apparently worship doesn't make the Greek gods immortal. Instead, the Fates make the Greek gods immortal, and worship makes the Fates immortal. (And that wasn't working, what with the lack of worship, so Zeke replaced the Fates with Donna, who draws her power from something other than worship.) Well, okay, if you say so.

But one implication of this: until recently, the Greek gods were immortal. And that doesn't mean "unaging," or "extremely durable" - it means they simply cannot die at all. (As demonstrated by the instantaneous return of the dead Ares and Apollo when Donna gets her groove on.)

Now, how does this mesh with the extremely significant scene we saw some issues ago, when Ares encourages Diana to kill him so that she will take on his position as God of War (with all the powers, or maybe just responsibilities, thereof)? Nobody questions this - they all act like, kill the god of war, become the god of war. But how is that even meaningful if the gods have been, pretty much up until now, fully immortal? Did Ares kill some fully immortal god of war to become god of war? How do you have a sacred protocol based on what happens when you kill a god, if the gods are immortal? It just didn't make much sense to me.

But that's just me.
    seems like DC really wanted to make Azzarellorun irrelevant and wonder owman irrelevant too

Incredible Member

I'm just hoping, hoping, hoping that the Finches' last issue is #49, or, at the latest, #50.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Well, see? You said that much better than Finch has Diana say it. You should be the writer.
    Ha - thanks, but then you'd REALLY have something to criticize.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Ha - thanks, but then you'd REALLY have something to criticize.

But I'd probably give you 5 stars every month.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member

But that's just me.
    Speaking of the truth, you have to wonder why Diana didn't just throw the lasso over Eirene and instantly win, as she did with Donna four issues ago.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

But that's just me.

Yeah.. I agree with this wholeheartedly.

In all honesty it seems that DC on the comic side at least with this run can't get Diana right for the life of them in her own solo issues... this is part of the reason she doesn't sell.

In many ways I am hoping that the Cinematic version of her is so awesome and groundbreaking that it forces the comics to have to change and actually give a little thing called "CONSISTENCY" to her character.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Speaking of the truth, you have to wonder why Diana didn't just throw the lasso over Eirene and instantly win, as she did with Donna four issues ago.
    Or lassoed Donna before cutting her arm off :P

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Or lassoed Donna before cutting her arm off :P
    Well, that kinda appears to be this Diana's approach to things; beating the target senseless, then ask questions when they are spitting teeth.
    Reminds me a bit of how Will Smith's Agent West was described;
    "And you, West, not everything calls for your patented approach of; shoot first, shoot second, shoot some more and when everyone's dead ask a question or two."