Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Superman Truth

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    What makes you think I care about what the majority thinks? I like it, that's all that matters.
    To be fair no one is going to tell you what to like or what not to like but you threw in a line indicating that somehow we were trying to sway you into not liking TRUTH. I'm sure there are a lot of people enjoying the story - no need to be defensive.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    To be fair no one is going to tell you what to like or what not to like but you threw in a line indicating that somehow we were trying to sway you into not liking TRUTH. I'm sure there are a lot of people enjoying the story - no need to be defensive.
    Fans do try to sway you from liking things on here. I've grown used to it, which is why I got a little defensive. Sorry.

I found that Superman fans don't like long arcs the way Batman fans do. Two, Three issues tops or they get bored.

Astonishing Member

The story just seems disconnected somehow. It is all happening with little or no impact on anything. Part of that is how little time Superman spent on-panel as Clark prior to Truth, but this is billed as a major upheaval and based on what we see in books Superman isn't really effected much by the change.

Clark has lost both his apartment and the Fortress. He is unemployed. But let's not show Superman actually dealing with these facts. No worries about where Clark will sleep at night. No real worries about where his next meal is coming from (and the MythBrawlers' job came before he reached this point).

Clark doesn't miss his friends at the Planet. Why should he- he's got Lee Lambert and the MythBrawlers who become his bestest buddies overnight.

His powers are reduced, but somehow he is always powerful enough to do what the story demands. His enemies who challenged him at his former full-power won't suddenly appear. Despite no longer being invulnerable he won't suffer any serious injuries- sure a little blod is shown at points, but never any injury he can't just macho past.

It's as if we just switched from Superman to a totally different character between issues with no real transition phase. No point where Clark actually has to learn anything. No time spent establishing a supporting cast. No real ramifications to be dealt with.

Just here is the new Truth Superman and a way we go.

Clark is too busy trying to catch the people responsible for his perdicament to worry about sweating the small stuff. What do you want him to do? Wallow on self pity? No Vandel and his Cronies gave him some Lemon's, he's going to burn their houses down with them.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

It's been absolutely awful, especially the chapters outside of SUPERMAN. AC has been a trainwreck.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    The story just seems disconnected somehow. It is all happening with little or no impact on anything. Part of that is how little time Superman spent on-panel as Clark prior to Truth, but this is billed as a major upheaval and based on what we see in books Superman isn't really effected much by the change.

Clark has lost both his apartment and the Fortress. He is unemployed. But let's not show Superman actually dealing with these facts. No worries about where Clark will sleep at night. No real worries about where his next meal is coming from (and the MythBrawlers' job came before he reached this point).

Clark doesn't miss his friends at the Planet. Why should he- he's got Lee Lambert and the MythBrawlers who become his bestest buddies overnight.

His powers are reduced, but somehow he is always powerful enough to do what the story demands. His enemies who challenged him at his former full-power won't suddenly appear. Despite no longer being invulnerable he won't suffer any serious injuries- sure a little blod is shown at points, but never any injury he can't just macho past.

It's as if we just switched from Superman to a totally different character between issues with no real transition phase. No point where Clark actually has to learn anything. No time spent establishing a supporting cast. No real ramifications to be dealt with.

Just here is the new Truth Superman and a way we go.
    you got very well majority of my problems with Truth, really badly executed concepts

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Clark is too busy trying to catch the people responsible for his perdicament to worry about sweating the small stuff. What do you want him to do? Wallow on self pity? No Vandel and his Cronies gave him some Lemon's, he's going to burn their houses down with them.
    I don't want pages and pages of Superman navel gazing, but considering there is almost no part of Clark's life left (job, home, friends not named Jimmy/Lana) I expect more than a simple shrug and then off to deal with Vandal's agents.

And with the reduced powers, I want some scenes where they actually cause Superman to lose and to need to work on creative ways to deal with things. So far the diminished powers have been enough to deal with every threat. Before Superman hit an opponent with muscles that could hold up the planet and won. Now he hits them with a fraction of that power, we get some mention of how this is a strain and then the exact same win. Before he shrugged off supernovae, now he is no longer invulnerable and is injured but other than being told that by the writers nothing in what occurs storywise really changed. We don't see Superman unable to move his arm from strain or knocked out. He is still standing as tall in the last panel just with a few more bruises shown.

Incredible Member

I'm still liking Truth so far, but I still think that this storyline's main problem is that New52 Superman simply ins't well-estabilished enough for this to mean much. One gets a feeling that if not for the loss of powers, Clark would ultimately make out quite well of this and solve most of his current problems instantly.

I think the two stories most similar to this one are The Death of Clark Kent and Ending Battle. Death of Clark Kent had the high-score of one, ONE (!!!) angry, resentful guy discovering The Secret and he nearly destroys Clark's life. Manchester Black went beyond and almost killed everybody Clark Kent ever shook hands with, and almost managed to make Superman kill.

But in these stories, Clark was a estabilished character, he had a family (Lois, Lois' family, the Kents, Kara, Kon, etc), many friends, etc. The stakes were hella high.

Here, the stakes feel a lot lower. Its pretty much just Clark's life, Jimmy, Lois, the Daily Planet crew (aparently, currently under heavy protection) and that's that. I'm surprised that someone only came after Steel once.

If y'all have read your shares of pre-reboot DC comics, you probably remember a few comics where the possibility of Secret IDs getting out being discussed by the heroes, and the one everybody was most afraid of, was Superman's secret getting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Looking things over its definitely looking like the DCYou initiative was a failure. There's a couple good ideas out there in regards to new titles spawned, but the changes to the existing titles have been mostly mediocre to poor. I can't think of a single existing franchise before Convergence that is better off now after the changes. They need to go back to their original New 52 mission statement. It sold better and was better received.
    I'm probably going to be unpopular, but Superman's title got better after Convergence and currently its best it has been post Flashpoint. First 2-3 of Action Comics were just as good (if not better) as Pak/Kuder run before Convergence, later issues wer a bit of letdown but thats mostly due to Wrath not being very interesting villain and due to Kuder skipping two issues in a row. I like Kollins art a lot, but Kuder is Kuder.

If I had to rank new52 Superman runs then it would be:

1) Morrison's Action run
    2) Pak/Kuder Action run
    3) Yang's Superman run

Everything else is noticeably worse.

Quote Originally Posted by gbryantlucas View Post
    Okay... I love Superman. I really do... but I'm not enjoying the Truth storyline. I find it convoluted, and I'm not enjoying the execution of a depowered Superman. Am I alone? Also, is it just me, or does the Superman line as a whole feel stale. Since the New 52, I have enjoyed Morrison's run on Action, Pak's work on Action (until Truth... even though his work on Truth is better than the rest), and some of Pak's work on Batman Superman. For one of my top three comic characters of all time, I feel like poor Superman hasn't gotten much love recently from DC, especially in this Truth storyline. Does anyone feel me?
    I don't think you're alone. I think there's a fair amount of Superman fans who would share your sentiment. For me, I'm somewhat in between. I like that Superman's identity got revealed. I like that he now has to live in a world where everyone knows that Clark Kent is Superman. I think it adds an element of realism because this is an era where nobody can really keep a secret, except for Batman I guess. But his identity being revealed isn't what troubles me. It's how this whole de-powered story has dragged.

I liked how it began, but the whole plot with Superman having such limited powers is starting to drag. It's not that it makes him a weaker Superman. It's more that it's basically making him too much like Batman. That seems to be DC's biggest problem. They try to make too many of their heroes to be just like Batman. I get that Batman is one of their most popular characters, but Superman doesn't need to be grittier and darker. That's not who he is. And I wish DC would stop trying to force it.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Sem=Noj

I've been enjoying it for the most part, although the storyline is rather uneven and I can completely understand why someone fans would not like it so much. I've been liking the Batman/Superman and Action chapters better than the others.