Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    You should check out Black Orchid, the Gaiman mini and the followup ongoing. There's some good bits of Ivy doing things just like that.
    I loved it. And I want more like it.

orchid1a.jpg

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

The ongoing stumbles a bit, but it's still strong comics. Rebecca Guay art, before she made her mad money on Magic: The Gathering cards.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

The ongoing stumbles a bit, but it's still strong comics. Rebecca Guay art, before she made her mad money on Magic: The Gathering cards.
    In the World According to Wikipedia, Black Orchid is categorized as a "feminist comic book." So is Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

This is just my opinion, one I'm sure has already been mentioned, but I've always seen the so-called "No Kill" rule as an excuse for keeping popular villains alive to keep readers coming back to see the hero struggle against those uber bad guys.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    This is just my opinion, one I'm sure has already been mentioned, but I've always seen the so-called "No Kill" rule as an excuse for keeping popular villains alive to keep readers coming back to see the hero struggle against those uber bad guys.
    That undoubtedly fuels some of it, but there are heroes - and people - who just don't want to kill, who choose in their lives not to. Nothing really wrong with that.

It seems, to me, to be more common than those who would choose to repeatedly kill.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

That undoubtedly fuels some of it, but there are heroes - and people - who just don't want to kill, who choose in their lives not to. Nothing really wrong with that.

It seems, to me, to be more common than those who would choose to repeatedly kill.
    For vigilantes like the Punisher (patterned after literary warrior Mack Bolan, a.k.a. The Executioner) and anti-heroes like Black Widow and Wolverine, killing to them is seen as a means to an end, and while the latter two have had to curb their lethal proclivities because of their association with the Avengers and X-Men respectively, Frank answers to no one. He's no hero, he's a soldier, and a soldier's job is to kill when called upon to do so, nothing more, nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    For vigilantes like the Punisher (patterned after literary warrior Mack Bolan, a.k.a. The Executioner) and anti-heroes like Black Widow and Wolverine, killing to them is seen as a means to an end, and while the latter two have had to curb their lethal proclivities because of their association with the Avengers and X-Men respectively, Frank answers to no one. He's no hero, he's a soldier, and a soldier's job is to kill when called upon to do so, nothing more, nothing less.
    During Civil War, remember when Cap called Frank insane after Castle scragged the villains on Cap's team? That's textbook Punisher. Just like in Marvel vs the Punisher and Punisher: The End. No deals, no compromise. Bad guys die. End of story. End of the world--if necessary. Hell of a commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Matthew Logan1962 View Post
    During Civil War, remember when Cap called Frank insane after Castle scragged the villains on Cap's team? That's textbook Punisher. Just like in Marvel vs the Punisher and Punisher: The End. No deals, no compromise. Bad guys die. End of story. End of the world--if necessary. Hell of a commitment.
    Well, that was Cap's problem. He knew what he was getting into with Frank, and if he expected anything different from a man who doesn't compromise with scum, then he was the fool. Meanwhile, I'm sure plenty of Gothamites wonder if Batman is insane to allow madmen like the Joker to roam free to kill time after time after time instead of putting him six feet under where he belonged.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Matthew Logan1962 View Post
    I like Poison Ivy too. Heh. Most people don't realize that Pamela has a Ph.D. In many ways, her character is far more interesting than Alec Holland/Swamp Thing. Why can't Pamela be an earth elemental and an eco-terrorist (not really liking that term though). What if Pamela left Gotham city and went on adventures, met various environmental groups dedicated to protecting Mother Earth. What if Pamela involved herself in indigenous land rights issues? I think some people might like an occasional story like that. I would.
    I think these are actually really good ideas. My only problem is that I like her as a bad guy more. I totally would want to see her as a eco-terrorist. Threaten to blow up the Alaskan Pipeline, threaten to kill the CEO of BP....

While it's good for some bad guys to become heroes, certain villains should just stay villains.

Invincible Member

You should check out Black Orchid, the Gaiman mini and the followup ongoing. There's some good bits of Ivy doing things just like that.
    I liked the BO miniseries a lot but I haven't read the ongoing. Doesn't she become a crime boss in that or do I have wrong info?

There's also people who have killed in self-defense or in defense of others and don't become bloodthirsty sociopaths zero regard for human life. There's a middle ground. Wonder Woman has both solved issues with or without lethal force yet she was villified by Clark and Bruce after the Max Lord incedent. Barry didn't have to be thrown off the League after accidentally killing a man who tried to kill his wife.

It's one thing to have Bruce or Clark say they don't kill, but don't have them condemn others that do regardless of context.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think these are actually really good ideas. My only problem is that I like her as a bad guy more. I totally would want to see her as a eco-terrorist. Threaten to blow up the Alaskan Pipeline, threaten to kill the CEO of BP....

While it's good for some bad guys to become heroes, certain villains should just stay villains.
    Well, it's not like we'll run out of villains any time soon. For every Rogue, there's a thousand Mr Sinisters.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There's also people who have killed in self-defense or in defense of others and don't become bloodthirsty sociopaths zero regard for human life. There's a middle ground. Wonder Woman has both solved issues with or without lethal force yet she was villified by Clark and Bruce after the Max Lord incedent. Barry didn't have to be thrown off the League after accidentally killing a man who tried to kill his wife.

It's one thing to have Bruce or Clark say they don't kill, but don't have them condemn others that do regardless of context.
    Yes, I agree except inasmuch as it may be in character for for a character to be overly critical or sit in judgment over such a thing. But, you appear to be having this argument with someone else, because I didn't say anything like there only being the two camps and no middle ground or that there were no justifiable reasons.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Or, alternately, more resources should be put towards keeping them in prison. Like heroes could regularly patrol around the outskirts of the prison in case there is a breakout. Or work as prison guards.
    That could be a great Mini Series. The adventures of Lock-Up (minor Batvillain I think). He patrols the grounds of Iron Heights, Rykers/Strykers or Arkham and interrupts escape plans, fights dull days at work and tries to improve the food. I'd honestly tradewait and buy it.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 11-27-2015 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    That could be a great Mini Series. The adventures of Lock-Up (minor Batvillain I think). He patrols the grounds of Iron Heights, Rykers/Strykers or Arkham and interrupts escape plans, fights dull days at work and tries to improve the food. I'd honestly tradewait and buy it.
    SuperVillain Prison could be a great comic with a rotating cast based on who's actually been thrown in prison by their respective arch-enemies lately.

Like, after they get beaten and thrown in jail in Comic X, you can have them show up in Supervillain Oz next issue, and then have other people escape. xD