Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why does Batman get quality media exposure compared to Spider-man?

Batman has remained in over 20 years the most popular superhero in the world and the most important dc character to sell. While Spiderman struggles to be able to stay in Wolverines shadow post spoderman trilogy and is being advertised to kids who love the avengers and ultimate spiderman.

What makes spidey fall short to batmans standards, is it because casuals think hes for kids and on the surface not as cool or visually appealing as the bat suited ninja? Is it the concept of two distinctive styles of concept that jars people about the protagonists, ones rich and completely indomitable in everything plus a dark hero and the other is a measly inserted avatar of nerds and outcasts in real life who is unable to find a better way to live or is it that the worlds they are in are more or less places that set up different brands of storytelling(one is action/tragedy/mystery/drama and the other is a soap opera with colorful comicbook cliches?)

Does that affect how writers with a talented acclaim to thier name decide on which franchise they want to write on? Do the writers reseach the characters a decide on which is better for thiet tastes in how to create a story with these heroes and the world the characters pogress in?

I hope spidey in the future gets better writers with the same passion batman has especially with new ideas and the better execution.

BANNED

I think your perceptions are very skewed and inaccurate. While Batman is certainly DC's most popular superhero, it's arguable whether he's the most popular overall. Spider-Man isn't struggling for recognition or popularity. If you personally like Batman more, that's fine, but Spider-Man isn't hurting on any front - whether it be comic book popularity, his big screen success (even the disappointing Amazing Spider-Man 2 was a huge worldwide money maker), or merchandise sales (in which he's the #1 seller, as seen here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...llion-a-748281). In short, don't worry about Spider-Man.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Batman is DC's flagship character, and Spider-Man is Marvel's. Both character's get a lot of exposure.

Both have multiple movies, multiple tv shows, multiple titles with their names on them, and they are placed into multiple team books.

There are some metrics by which Spider-Man does better. Prof. Warren listed an article about how Spider-Man stomps Batman in merchandising. And he still leads Wolverine in pretty much every category.

Some of the comparison with Batman comes down to luck. Batman had an acclaimed successful film trilogy, and an acclaimed video game series.

I doubt any writers or artists turn down a chance to work on Spider-Man for reasons that wouldn't apply to Batman. DC does have more of a history of self-contained projects, which isn't much of a factor at the moment (aside from DK3.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Yeah like others said Spider-man is doing fine. When it comes to movies sure the Nolan film did great but the original spider-man films did good to and atleast the first two were well received. Not to mention if you include the last 20 years Batman has had one of the worst received superheroes film (Batman and Robin). So if you want to argue quality then Batman has some of the best movies, but also one of the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Batman is DC's flagship character, and Spider-Man is Marvel's. Both character's get a lot of exposure.

Both have multiple movies, multiple tv shows, multiple titles with their names on them, and they are placed into multiple team books.
    It doesn't help than Marvel is pushing IM as their new flagship character.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

It's only after The Dark Knight that Batman has become super popular. Batman Begins only grossed $374.2 million worldwide - compare that to the gross of Fantastic Four, $330.6 million, which also launched in 2005. There's no denying Batman Begins was a good film, and better received than Fantastic Four. Batman's only gained popularity because his films were good (and therefore in extension all the characters, mythos, and universe were seen as good) and The Dark Knight started the grimdark phase everyone seems to be trying to emulate and no one does it better than Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    It's only after The Dark Knight that Batman has become super popular. Batman Begins only grossed $374.2 million worldwide - compare that to the gross of Fantastic Four, $330.6 million, which also launched in 2005. There's no denying Batman Begins was a good film, and better received than Fantastic Four. Batman's only gained popularity because his films were good (and therefore in extension all the characters, mythos, and universe were seen as good) and The Dark Knight started the grimdark phase everyone seems to be trying to emulate and no one does it better than Batman.
    This. With The Dark Knight, that movie felt like something of a phenomenon at the time. I was hearing people talking about it months later still when school had started again, and it's become pretty ingrained in the masses. The first two Spider-Man movies did pretty much the same thing because they were well-made movies that came at the right time and people responded to them with open arms. Spidey was it in the early 2000s it felt like.

Then from 2007 on when Spider-Man 3 was less critically lauded it felt like Spidey became a bit of a joke when The Dark Knight came out the next year and was a very stark contrast from Raimi's brand of filmmaking which had been the big thing for the years prior. This is just my own personal recollection of experiences at the time, being in middle school back in 2008 and people would make fun of me for liking Spider-Man and talk about how Batman was so much cooler. Now, that's never been important to me- the character of Peter Parker is just one I'v always liked and related to and that's good enough for me. It's just that badassery and darkness that people wanted now for some reason.

All that stuff I think definitely has an impact on how the populace will view stuff like this. I think if the MCU Spider-Man is great then people will respond well to it and be really excited about the character again, I hope.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Batman has remained in over 20 years the most popular superhero in the world and the most important dc character to sell. While Spiderman struggles to be able to stay in Wolverines shadow post spoderman trilogy and is being advertised to kids who love the avengers and ultimate spiderman.

What makes spidey fall short to batmans standards, is it because casuals think hes for kids and on the surface not as cool or visually appealing as the bat suited ninja? Is it the concept of two distinctive styles of concept that jars people about the protagonists, ones rich and completely indomitable in everything plus a dark hero and the other is a measly inserted avatar of nerds and outcasts in real life who is unable to find a better way to live or is it that the worlds they are in are more or less places that set up different brands of storytelling(one is action/tragedy/mystery/drama and the other is a soap opera with colorful comicbook cliches?)

Does that affect how writers with a talented acclaim to thier name decide on which franchise they want to write on? Do the writers reseach the characters a decide on which is better for thiet tastes in how to create a story with these heroes and the world the characters pogress in?

I hope spidey in the future gets better writers with the same passion batman has especially with new ideas and the better execution.
    Batman is my favourite comic book character.

One of the reasons I think that people love Batman is that he’s ‘cool’. He’s a very virile man yet also polished and refined, not a dumb brute. He’s brilliant a master strategist, he takes responsibility for what happens to him, his motto is ‘live life, don’t let life live you.’
    And I mentioned this on the DC Batman board, but he’s the comic book version of the Count of Monte Cristo, a self made man who carefully plots after what he wants and gets it. Also anyone who is familiar with the story of The Count of Monte Cristo they will know that the story is about a man who was wrongly imprisoned, escapes, comes into a fortune, remakes himself and then takes down the people who framed him (mostly by using their crimes against them).How many people can not help but identify with someone who built his life from nothing and then wishes to get revenge on them. That’s why so many people can identify or are inspired by Batman. He’s an everyman.

Spider-man is not like that. He’s a big kid a putz who is always on life’s loosing end. If something bad happens to him he wrings his hands in despair because he’s neurotic. And now with BND it’s even worse with Peter being reduced to a manchild. The type of character (or person in general) that I have no interest in reading about.
    My nephew who is pushing 4 next year loves Spider-man. But I don’t care. I still have fond memories of the character from what I read of him 1989-1995. I enjoyed the stories about how he tried to get his masters, build a life with his wife, worked to pay the bills and also attempted to be a hero. If Marvel wants to get back to those type of Spider-man stories then maybe I will one day become interested in the character.

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    But box office gross does not mean quality. I loved Batman Begins and consider it to be one of my top five current favourite films. But many of the complaints I read about BB is that it is too ‘boring’ and too ‘dark’. I don’t think that’s what American audiences want (otherwise Seth Rogan wouldn’t have a career) Even many of the people who I know loved DK loved it because of Ledgers over the top misfit/loser portrayal. It had nothing to do with Batman.

Well Batman is more versatile character and he is also more archetypal.

Spider-Man is by far my favourite superhero, but he is a little more limited in the variety of topics and situation he can work in.
    Batman can work in spy, detective, cosmic, plain superheroistic and drama stories. Plus he has the "dark" etiquette on him, meaning that he is perceived generally as a more serious or at least "adult" character.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    That’s why so many people can identify or are inspired by Batman. He’s an everyman.
    The last thing I'd call Batman is an everyman. He's a millionaire, a detective, a forensic scientist, one of the best hand-to-hand-combatants on earth, an inventor, a pilot. He's got more gadgets than a Toys 'R Us during Christmas and he can shut down someone who's basically an alien demi-god. He often comes close to being a Gary Stu. Doesn't really scream everyman to me.
    Adversely, I'd say the reason why Batman is popular with a certain demographic is because he's a power fantasy. He's got a 'cool' car and a 'cool' hideout and 'cool' weapons, etc etc. Being the everyman is kind of being the opposite of cool, really.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Batman is my favourite comic book character.

One of the reasons I think that people love Batman is that he’s ‘cool’. He’s a very virile man yet also polished and refined, not a dumb brute. He’s brilliant a master strategist, he takes responsibility for what happens to him, his motto is ‘live life, don’t let life live you.’
    And I mentioned this on the DC Batman board, but he’s the comic book version of the Count of Monte Cristo, a self made man who carefully plots after what he wants and gets it. Also anyone who is familiar with the story of The Count of Monte Cristo they will know that the story is about a man who was wrongly imprisoned, escapes, comes into a fortune, remakes himself and then takes down the people who framed him (mostly by using their crimes against them).How many people can not help but identify with someone who built his life from nothing and then wishes to get revenge on them. That’s why so many people can identify or are inspired by Batman. He’s an everyman.

Spider-man is not like that. He’s a big kid a putz who is always on life’s loosing end. If something bad happens to him he wrings his hands in despair because he’s neurotic. And now with BND it’s even worse with Peter being reduced to a manchild. The type of character (or person in general) that I have no interest in reading about.
    My nephew who is pushing 4 next year loves Spider-man. But I don’t care. I still have fond memories of the character from what I read of him 1989-1995. I enjoyed the stories about how he tried to get his masters, build a life with his wife, worked to pay the bills and also attempted to be a hero. If Marvel wants to get back to those type of Spider-man stories then maybe I will one day become interested in the character.

But box office gross does not mean quality. I loved Batman Begins and consider it to be one of my top five current favourite films. But many of the complaints I read about BB is that it is too ‘boring’ and too ‘dark’. I don’t think that’s what American audiences want (otherwise Seth Rogan wouldn’t have a career) Even many of the people who I know loved DK loved it because of Ledgers over the top misfit/loser portrayal. It had nothing to do with Batman.
    In what way does Batman resemble the Count of Monte Cristo? Bruce has never spent a day in prison for a crime he didn't commit and he didn't lose any of his wealth after his parents died. How did he build something out of nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In what way does Batman resemble the Count of Monte Cristo? Bruce has never spent a day in prison for a crime he didn't commit and he didn't lose any of his wealth after his parents died. How did he build something out of nothing?
    Yea, i'm not quite understanding this either.

Anyway, I think Batman has benefited from battling some of the most exceptional villains in all of comics. I have tuned in, more often than not, to see their stories told. Batman has always been a bit of a vanilla character for me, and he's been written with incredible redundancy. Peter has a much more endearing personality, yes he's goofy, but he's also a lot of fun. Plus, he has actual superpowers, which has always tipped the scale in his favor for me.

I enjoy the dark style of Batman comics in stretches, but after a while it just gets to be too heavy for me. I've been on a Bat-Break for quite some time because of this.
    Last edited by Detox; 11-27-2015 at 12:33 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    The last thing I'd call Batman is an everyman. He's a millionaire, a detective, a forensic scientist, one of the best hand-to-hand-combatants on earth, an inventor, a pilot. He's got more gadgets than a Toys 'R Us during Christmas and he can shut down someone who's basically an alien demi-god. He often comes close to being a Gary Stu. Doesn't really scream everyman to me.
    He is all those things. But with the exception of the money (and the things acquired from it) he developed everything on his own. That’s what makes him cool and admirable.
    You can have all the money in the world. But it still takes diligence, patience and practice and commitment to apply them. Most people who suffered the tragedy of Bruce Wayne and his money would turn to a life of debauchery. But Bruce has chosen not to. It takes a tremendous strength of will to be forge yourself and make yourself into someone extraordinary. When it’s much easier to be lazy or just succumb to your neurosis. Even the impetus for Peter to be Spiderman was driven more from guilt, than a desire to be someone or better. That’s why I think that’s why more people like Batman. By the way I should have pointed out in my previous post, I became a Batman fan about 15 years ago after suffering a career set back due to treachery. Spider-man’s naivety and willingness to be a victim wasn’t inspiring me anymore. I became attracted to Batman’s shrewdness and his willingness to take responsibility for his life.

Adversely, I'd say the reason why Batman is popular with a certain demographic is because he's a power fantasy. He's got a 'cool' car and a 'cool' hideout and 'cool' weapons, etc etc. Being the everyman is kind of being the opposite of cool, really.
    I would say that Captain America and Iron Man and even Superman fall into that realm. I think that most people (okay men) would love nothing better than to stand arms akimbo while bullets bounce off their chest. None of these characters are easily hurt and they can seem to do almost anything without little sacrifice. Batman isn’t like that at all.

Being the everyman is kind of being the opposite of cool, really.
    The term everyman applies to someone who overcomes an extraordinary task.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Did you read the book or see the film? If so you seem to be forgetting that once Edmond escaped from prison he found the treasure left for him by Abbe and went on to build his life. Quite similar to the way in which Bruce Wayne did with the funds he inherited.
    Last edited by Mia; 11-27-2015 at 01:39 PM.

He is all those things. But with the exception of the money (and the things acquired from it) he developed everything on his own. That’s what makes him cool and admirable.
    You can have all the money in the world. But it still takes diligence, patience and practice and commitment to apply them. Most people who suffered the tragedy of Bruce Wayne and his money would turn to a life of debauchery. But Bruce has chosen not to. It takes a tremendous strength of will to be forge yourself and make yourself into someone extraordinary. When it’s much easier to be lazy or just succumb to your neurosis. Even the impetus for Peter to be Spiderman was driven more from guilt, than a desire to be someone or better. That’s why I think that’s why more people like Batman. By the way I should have pointed out in my previous post, I became a Batman fan about 15 years ago after suffering a career set back due to treachery. Spider-man’s naivety and willingness to be a victim wasn’t inspiring me anymore. I became attracted to Batman’s shrewdness and his willingness to take responsibility for his life.
    I'm not sure how Bruce is much better. Many have argued that Bruce is little more than an emotionally stunted man child who takes out the anger over his parents' death on the poor and mentally ill. The very concept of dressing up as a Bat to scare criminals sounds pretty childish on paper. There are numerous stories depicting Bruce as being an absolutely horrible individual to get along with. He's been written as hypocritical, manipulative, rude, condescending, violent etc. He does suffer a victim complex he just expresses it in a different way than Peter.

ANd yes I have seen the Count of Monte Cristo and the similarities between him and Bruce are superficial at best. Edmond goes on a vendetta against people who conspired to destroy his life whereas Bruce condemns himself to a life of misery because of hi inability to get over one crime that apparently only he has suffered.

Iron Man is just a guy in a suit. Take it away and he bleeds like anyone else. Captain America has been at odds with he government numerous times whereas Bruce's actions often go ignored. Even Superman is going through an arc where he's lost his powers and there's the whole bit of being one of the few Kryptonians left. Bruce is a billionaire who's an expert in every mental and physical field and has women throwing themselves at him. You can't get much cooler than that. Hell, in your first comment you flat out admitted that's why people like him.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-27-2015 at 01:55 PM.