Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    He is all those things. But with the exception of the money (and the things acquired from it) he developed everything on his own. That’s what makes him cool and admirable.
    You can have all the money in the world. But it still takes diligence, patience and practice and commitment to apply them. Most people who suffered the tragedy of Bruce Wayne and his money would turn to a life of debauchery. But Bruce has chosen not to. It takes a tremendous strength of will to be forge yourself and make yourself into someone extraordinary. When it’s much easier to be lazy or just succumb to your neurosis. Even the impetus for Peter to be Spiderman was driven more from guilt, than a desire to be someone or better. That’s why I think that’s why more people like Batman. By the way I should have pointed out in my previous post, I became a Batman fan about 15 years ago after suffering a career set back due to treachery. Spider-man’s naivety and willingness to be a victim wasn’t inspiring me anymore. I became attracted to Batman’s shrewdness and his willingness to take responsibility for his life.
    He's still a one percenter with a genius IQ and a genetic predisposition to an athletic build. That's pretty much a super power. Bruce Wayne is a stunted individual that needs to exert his physical will on criminals to feel empowered after feeling powerless during the death of his parents. It's not like he had to manage personal relationships or his fortune, either, he just spent all his time learning to beat up people because he had no real responsibilities. He's a man child living out his fantasies of beating up the people that hurt his parents. How is this relatable at all?

The funny thing is, with his intellect and money, he could do far more to help the world if he didn't spend every night dressed up in spandex.
    Last edited by Spazzy_D; 11-27-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzy_D View Post
    He's still a one percenter with a genius IQ and a genetic predisposition to an athletic build. That's pretty much a super power. Bruce Wayne is a stunted individual that needs to exert his physical will on criminals to feel empowered after feeling powerless during the death of his parents. It's not like he had to manage personal relationships or his fortune, either, he just spent all his time learning to beat up people because he had no real responsibilities. He's a man child living out his fantasies of beating up the people that hurt his parents. How is this relatable at all?

The funny thing is, with his intellect and money, he could do far more to help the world if he didn't spend every night dressed up in spandex.
    Technically, it's advanced Kevlar weave, but I see your point. As for the contrasts between Batman and Spider-Man, I think the biggest one is that Batman, even in situations that he doesn't have control over, always exudes an air of dominance that Spider-Man very often doesn't have. Even when things seem to be completely spiraling out of control, he is always in control, of himself if nothing else, and he refuses to let anyone see that he's anything less than in control. Spider-Man, on the other hand, wears his insecurities and anxieties on his red-and-blue sleeve, his constant jokes and quips and witticisms a patently obvious defense mechanism against self-doubt, guilt, and heartache that would otherwise be utterly soul-crushing. He does not give off the aura of a man in charge of himself, let alone anything else around him, which is why he's never really been pegged as a leader by his fellow heroes even if he's a lot more respected (and admired) by them than he sometimes thinks he is. As much as people generally enjoy plucky underdogs who persevere and even triumph in the face of the odds against them, it's characters like Batman that have much more charisma for their sense of self-possession and dominance.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

OP - Because he's Batman, but seriously they are like comparing apples & oranges (as most everyone else has already pointed out).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzy_D View Post

Well batman has to be those things, when compared to his godlike peers he comes off as an example of a underdog with alot of compensation to get some leverage as a close to a fellow equal. Like spidey, hes the average joe in a room of people who live in the heavens and has to be odyssesus be default. Even hes not smarter sometimes in comparison to other dc heroes, hes just lucky.

Spiderman is sadly more a fanboy role than a legendary figure role.

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Well batman has to be those things, when compared to his godlike peers he comes off as an example of a underdog with alot of compensation to get some leverage as a close to a fellow equal. Like spidey, hes the average joe in a room of people who live in the heavens and has to be odyssesus be default. Even hes not smarter sometimes in comparison to other dc heroes, hes just lucky.

Spiderman is sadly more a fanboy role than a legendary figure role.
    Honestly, guys like Kyle Rayner, Wally West and Jaime Reyes fit the average joe mold way more than Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    The last thing I'd call Batman is an everyman. He's a millionaire, a detective, a forensic scientist, one of the best hand-to-hand-combatants on earth, an inventor, a pilot. He's got more gadgets than a Toys 'R Us during Christmas and he can shut down someone who's basically an alien demi-god. He often comes close to being a Gary Stu. Doesn't really scream everyman to me.
    Adversely, I'd say the reason why Batman is popular with a certain demographic is because he's a power fantasy. He's got a 'cool' car and a 'cool' hideout and 'cool' weapons, etc etc. Being the everyman is kind of being the opposite of cool, really.
    Exactly! Batman is basically James Bond in a superhero costume. That's why he's the only superhero who it's socially acceptable for adults to openly like and fantasize about as much as children do, which basically doubles his fan base compared to Spider-Man's.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 11-28-2015 at 08:46 AM.

I thought Bruce did things with his wealth? He does a lot of charity stuff, offers scholarships and pays for damage that Batman causes. Idk depends on the writer. Isn't Peter running a billion dollar company now thanks to Doc Ock? That definitely ruined any chance of him being an everyman figure probably. Spider-Man is a hard character to stick sometimes. Especially when many fans have their ideal version of him. People get it down to the bullied nerd who becomes a hero. And the "Parker Luck" to me reads a justification for his inability to maintain his balance between being Spider-Man and Peter Parker. It got old for me quick because it lacks any real consequences. It's just a "sctick" thing.

Peter's story has been told multiple times but, without a good story, his world can't compete Gotham. While both can either be wish fufilment, Batman has a stronger history and waaaay more memorable villains. And his relationships with the Batfam are pretty iconic also. People are just very familiar with Batman's world. We know his villains, we know his story. The story of Batman is what we're all familiar with.

I love Peter Parker to bits but I know Batman better. Whether from exposure or enjoyment of his stories I'm not sure.

Marvel's push for Iron Man speaks for an easier and consistent story to tell and the fact that he's played by Robert Downey Jr. doesn't hurt. Iron Man has gotten a major push since he's now considered one of Marvel's Big 3 along with Thor and Captain America.

Also it's really down to taste. People can just prefer Spider-Man to Batman and vice versa.

BANNED

Batman is a very marketable concept, cool costume, cool gadgets, and he knows all sorts of martial arts. I'd say the general public doesn't really care if he's overpowered or a "Gary Stu" or whatever issue fans may have with how he's sometimes depicted.

That's not to say he's better than Spider-Man. His movies have generally done well and, yeah, he's one of those characters who can play around in a variety of tones, from dark and brooding to something a little more campy. Peter, maybe a little less so because he's simply more emotional and too dark a tone can lead to him coming across as whiny. It's easier when you're a stoic guardian of the night.

That said, you can do more with Peter, outside of tone. He's a friendly guy, so it's easier to introduce supporting casts and even build on them. You can raise him up and you can bring him down. He has more history with his rogue's gallery. I don't know if he's more complex a character, but he'd probably be more fun to explore because he's not just a mask and a suit.

BANNED

I think Spidey needed a mentor to wisen up his principles in doing superhero work, while Bruce understood to pressure and commitment it took to protect gotham with the wisdom instilled into him pre batman training.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Exactly! Batman is basically James Bond in a superhero costume. That's why he's the only superhero who it's socially acceptable for adults to openly like and fantasize about as much as children do, which basically doubles his fan base compared to Spider-Man's.
    I actually believe that power fantasies aren't for "adults" as much as they are for adolescents (or man-children, for lack of a better term) since they purely focus on the material aspects of a character. Which is fine, in terms of escapism! But liking a character for their emotional nuance is the true mark of maturity for me. For all the arguments of Batman being the everyman, he doesn't act like a real human because people have faults and do fail. That's what Spider-Man exemplifies - humanity, warts and all.
    Generally, and at risk of sounding snobbish, anything that's marketed as "cool" is lowest denomination stuff to me - which definitely has it's place in culture and whatever. And hey, Michael Bay needs to make a living somehow.
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 11-29-2015 at 08:51 AM.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    He is all those things. But with the exception of the money (and the things acquired from it) he developed everything on his own. That’s what makes him cool and admirable.
    You can have all the money in the world. But it still takes diligence, patience and practice and commitment to apply them. Most people who suffered the tragedy of Bruce Wayne and his money would turn to a life of debauchery. But Bruce has chosen not to. It takes a tremendous strength of will to be forge yourself and make yourself into someone extraordinary. When it’s much easier to be lazy or just succumb to your neurosis. Even the impetus for Peter to be Spiderman was driven more from guilt, than a desire to be someone or better. That’s why I think that’s why more people like Batman. By the way I should have pointed out in my previous post, I became a Batman fan about 15 years ago after suffering a career set back due to treachery. Spider-man’s naivety and willingness to be a victim wasn’t inspiring me anymore. I became attracted to Batman’s shrewdness and his willingness to take responsibility for his life.
    I may not agree 100% but I definitely see and respect where you're coming from.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    I actually believe that power fantasies aren't for "adults" as much as they are for adolescents (or man-children, for lack of a better term) since they purely focus on the material aspects of a character. Which is fine, in terms of escapism! But liking a character for their emotional nuance is the true mark of maturity for me. For all the arguments of Batman being the everyman, he doesn't act like a real human because people have faults and do fail. That's what Spider-Man exemplifies - humanity, warts and all.
    Generally, and at risk of sounding snobbish, anything that's marketed as "cool" is lowest denomination stuff to me - which definitely has it's place in culture and whatever. And hey, Michael Bay needs to make a living somehow.
    Have you read any Batman stories recently, especially the Hush and Court of Owls stories, those are IMO the most human aspect of Bruce's weakness as Batman and his own life in general.

Part of your question, jimshim, is; "why Spider-Man is not getting as many quality products in other media as Batman does?"
    And that's an interesting question, I've been asking myself that for years.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

I think this is one of the reasons Batmans fans like him over Spidey. Spidey is inspiring but Batman is inspiring to be aspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Batman has remained in over 20 years the most popular superhero in the world and the most important dc character to sell. While Spiderman struggles to be able to stay in Wolverines shadow post spoderman trilogy and is being advertised to kids who love the avengers and ultimate spiderman.

What makes spidey fall short to batmans standards, is it because casuals think hes for kids and on the surface not as cool or visually appealing as the bat suited ninja? Is it the concept of two distinctive styles of concept that jars people about the protagonists, ones rich and completely indomitable in everything plus a dark hero and the other is a measly inserted avatar of nerds and outcasts in real life who is unable to find a better way to live or is it that the worlds they are in are more or less places that set up different brands of storytelling(one is action/tragedy/mystery/drama and the other is a soap opera with colorful comicbook cliches?)

Does that affect how writers with a talented acclaim to thier name decide on which franchise they want to write on? Do the writers reseach the characters a decide on which is better for thiet tastes in how to create a story with these heroes and the world the characters pogress in?

I hope spidey in the future gets better writers with the same passion batman has especially with new ideas and the better execution.
    The answer is quite simple.

Because he's Batman.