Default Trinity by Busiek & Bagley

How was this? I feel like I never hear anything about it despite being a pretty incredible creative endeavor by Busiek & Bagley. What did people think? I might pick up the collected volumes.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I found it to be slow and filled with exposition to almost unbearable levels.

I usually love Busiek's work, but this one really wasn't my cup of tea.

Mileage may vary, though.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

BANNED

Two of my favorite creators.....but this was totally drawn out garbage

BANNED

Not really that great. Of the weekly series I dont think its the worst, that would be countdown, but it was not the best either, that would be 52. The main problem for me was not that the series was average at best, but that because of the creators involved I expected/hoped for more.

Loved the inter-connected covers but that was about it. I stuck with it until the end but will never waste my time on a second reading so I got rid of the series a year or so back.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    Loved the inter-connected covers but that was about it. I stuck with it until the end but will never waste my time on a second reading so I got rid of the series a year or so back.
    I thought it was a great exploration of the DC Trinity and what they MEAN to the DC Universe while also playing with the idea that ultimately they could be replaced, but that it just wouldn't be the same.

It soared over the likes of Countdown but it's also not nearly as epic as 52 was.

I also loved all the ways the various character arcs worked with one another and how they were all resolved.

I do think the series could've been a few issues shorter and handled a bit better in some spots but all in all it's a solid read that I love revisiting.

And while I'm a Tomorrow Woman fan (so I was overjoyed she was something of a tertiary character in it) it did a great job with ALL the characters involved in it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mundungus View Post
    How was this? I feel like I never hear anything about it despite being a pretty incredible creative endeavor by Busiek & Bagley. What did people think? I might pick up the collected volumes.
    I'm about to re-read this series actually (purely by fluke) so I will be able to comment after that (I do need to finish 52 and WWIII first) but my memory is that its a fun series by an excellent creative team (2 of my personal favourites).

While we're on the subject of TRINITY though, can anyone remind me if it was actually in continuity pre-NEW 52?

Cheers.

James.

As others have mentioned, better than Countdown, but hardly as good as 52, as weekly series goes. Read in TPB, the first volume is, IMHO, pretty good, with the evil Trinity being formed and the CSA and all. The second volume is okay, with the missing Trinity and the changed world, but the third vol is kind of dragged on with the godlike Trinity. The art is pretty even. Bagley shines, of course, but the other artists, while competent (Derrinick, Norton and McDaniels, I think) are not exactly steller. Another win fot 52 here. All in all, I've read a whole lot of worse things, but I've also read better, especially by Busiek. I like it enough to occasionally reread it. I might even do it again someday soon.

Peace

BANNED

It was kind of mediocre; and Bagley's art was IMO a very poor match for the subject matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    As others have mentioned, better than Countdown...
    So are most comics written by Rob Liefeld.

I found it to be really bland and wasn't able to finish it, something I rarely do. If only I could have done the same with Futures End.

I liked it. I read it in trade format.

BANNED

Maybe I should go back and reread in trade like Mike here, but I bought them as they were coming out. Given the creative team (especially Busiek, who'd done no wrong to this point and hasn't done much I could name since), having the "Big 3", and as much as I enjoyed "52" I had really high hopes and was really let down.

It may just be too hard to put out a weekly comic for two people. "52" at least had rotating stories with teams focused on their little bits. And if you didn't happen to like one story, that was OK because there were 5 more you could choose from (and I happened to enjoy most of them).