View Poll Results: Would you restore Alan as a straight family man?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 38.71%
  • No

45 48.39%
  • Unsure or no opinion

12 12.90%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Did DC err in making Alan Scott gay?

I'm not posting this thread to suggest that there shouldn't be a gay super-hero. I'm just wondering whether DC went about this in the wrong way.

So my question is, if you could reboot Alan, would you restore him as a family man with wife and children, or would you keep him as a gay man?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

There's nothing to "restore." It's two different Alans from two different realities.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Mighty Member

I don't think they erred in making him gay but I do think it was a bad move tying his origin to the death of his fiance. Then it was an even bigger mistake bringing back the fiance and making Alan extremely mopey and clingy towards him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    I don't think they erred in making him gay but I do think it was a bad move tying his origin to the death of his fiance. Then it was an even bigger mistake bringing back the fiance and making Alan extremely mopey and clingy towards him.
    bring back the fiancé was written by daniel wilson. he also made alan scott sexual orientation worthless making him a doc manhathan on earth 2 society

dc screw up again

first things first

But I do think the old alan was more interesting because not only because he was old or straight but because he was a family man contrary to just being gay and having a dead fiance because lets face it, even if he was straight that story-line was pretty boring and ultimately pointless

I dont think there is anything wring with him becoming dr Manhattan of E2 because it is not the first time this has happen,Starheart, anyone?, but it does make his sexuality ultimately pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I'm not posting this thread to suggest that there shouldn't be a gay super-hero. I'm just wondering whether DC went about this in the wrong way.

So my question is, if you could reboot Alan, would you restore him as a family man with wife and children, or would you keep him as a gay man?
    Why can't he be a family man with a husband and children?

Always Rakzo

Funny, I just logged in to comment about this.

Initially, I thought it was sort of a mistake due that would kinda negate the possibility of a future appearance of Alan's children, Obsidian and Jade. However, I soon realized that this is an universe where anything can happen so Alan having children sharing his abilities despite of his sexual orientation was nothing impossible.

The other reason why I stopped caring about the change is that, at his core, Alan was still Alan. He was still a quite competent man with or without powers going so far to call him the Superman of Earth 2 and in fact it was a pretty progressive move to make the protagonist and most powerful person in the universe Gay.

Gay Alan kick ass, simply as that.

(That was, of course, until Taylor had the brilliant idea to replace him by that weakling Val-Zod and Wilson made him completely emotionless and thus making his sexuality angle null).

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I don't see what could be restored here. He was married by five minutes and didn't raise his kids, as far as I can recall.

After that, he never really had a love life. He doesn't have one now. Nothing really changed.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

I have no issue with Allan being gay. I mean, his wife almost never showed up, and was barely mentioned at all. For all we saw/heard of her, Allan might as well have not been married to begin with. So making him gay never felt like it took something critical to his character away. Even without the reboot I could have believed that Allan was gay, and just living the lie of a straight man as so many in his generation did.

The loss of the kids was a shame, and I especially loved Jade. But making Allan a young man ruined any chances of the kids anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The question makes no sense to me.

If you asked whether I liked that DC chose to make New52 Alan a gay man, the answer would be flat-out "no" because I would have truly preferred the return of the original JSA.

But asking if DC "erred" / "made a mistake" by doing this, I can't really say. Then again, this isn't the same Alan / Earth-2 / Justice Society of America that I discovered and truly enjoyed back in the early 1970s.

I don't think they erred in making him gay but I do think it was a bad move tying his origin to the death of his fiance.
    All that really was doing was playing off the Golden Age Alan Scott's origin story where he and another guy were both in the cab of a train engine when there was a fatal accident.

Then it was an even bigger mistake bringing back the fiance and making Alan extremely mopey and clingy towards him.
    That I can't answer to; I gave up on the book in the middle of Tom Taylor's death and destruction run.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aquadoc View Post
    Why can't he be a family man with a husband and children?

What he said.^^^
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

The original Alan, or nothing.

Amazing Member

They didn't make Alan Scott gay. They created an elseworlds Alan Scott who is gay. I haven't read any of those new elseworlds either so I can't say whether it's a mistake.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I have a problem with the whole new Earth 2 concept just because I don't like the direction it's going in. Killing off that worlds Superman, and then killing off the entire world and shifting everyone to another Earth just seems like overkill. It started off as an interesting concept. Darkseid invades and takes "The Trinity" and we don't know what happened to them and Supergirl and Robin end up on mainstream Earth and have to find a way to get back home. All these "new" heroes crop up to deal with future threats. Cool concept.

Then Kara and Helena get home only to find it being destroyed YET AGAIN by Darkseid and they find Superman only to kill him off too. Oh, and Lois is a cyborg now. So there's that. I haven't followed it in a while because I don't see why I would want to. Alan Scott being gay isn't even on the list of problems this world has. I loved the Crossworld storyline in Batman/Superman but I can't bring myself to buy it because I know what's going to happen to these characters.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    There's nothing to "restore." It's two different Alans from two different realities.
    My opinion exactly. This version of Jay, Alan, ect, do not "count" in my opinion. Still waiting for some return of the classic JSA.
    I have no beef with Vegans