Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Default Batman Eternal #11 Preview/Discussion/SPOILERS

http://13thdimension.com/exclusive-p...an-eternal-11/
    s
    Well... this is odd looking artwork for this series. Personally might be better suited when we focus more on the supernatural side with Batwing and Spectre. It's just... really odd and feels out of place with the rest of the issues we had so far.

Finally things are looking interesting again. Though that art is intriguing, i like how gross Scorpiana looks. To me the art looks like a cross between Burnham and Quitely. Its interesting.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-12-2014 at 03:15 PM.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    To me the art looks like a cross between Burnham and Quitely. Its interesting.
    Ah! There we go! It's like we go from Quitely and drop slightly to get Burnham and we drop a lot more and then we get Ian Bertram. Yes indeed, this artwork to me just doesn't work with this book at all after artists like Fabok, March, Clarke, and McCarthy.

Bertram is a super weird choice for the book, I knew that before even seeing pages, but still... I like it. Tonally, it's just sort of off, but whatever. Cool art.

Oh good! daddy issues and grown ups acting like brats, such a novelty in the Batman's world.

yeah this art is super cool!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    Bertram is a super weird choice for the book, I knew that before even seeing pages, but still... I like it. Tonally, it's just sort of off, but whatever. Cool art.
    Yeah I like the art, but it's going to be kind of jarring when Batman Eternal trades roll out.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    http://13thdimension.com/exclusive-p...an-eternal-11/
    s
    Well... this is odd looking artwork for this series. Personally might be better suited when we focus more on the supernatural side with Batwing and Spectre. It's just... really odd and feels out of place with the rest of the issues we had so far.
    Dammit you right, such a waste
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Dat art. It reminds me of a "chibi"-fied Burnham, though I do agree that this book might not have been the best fit for it.

Oh well, can't complain. More variation in mainstream comic art is always welcome
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Never did I think Scorpiana's INSANE helmet might be something that can move on its own and grossly link to her head. But it fits with her little advanced robotics mini blue scorpion drone swarm killers. Did Papagayo make the kit for her too, some time long before she killed him to keep him quiet? Who knows. But the Argentine villainess is one of the breakouts from the whole Black Glove/Leviathan set of affairs. And it looks like a Batwoman rematch is impending.

I like the art a lot. I can't really say that it's completely apropos for what we've gotten so far from this title. It's about as far and away the opposite of Fabok as you get. But I think this weekly format is moving along at a brusk pace, and has room for a few different presentations here and there. I've got to discount the Quitely or Burnham comparisons, though. They're all a bit derivative or affected by R. Crumb, and Bertram's stuff is a lot more like his looser, quicker work, and with a touch of Moebius (at least that Tomasi short story had it.)

I'm eager to read it. Eternal is chugging along nicely. We're really into the meat of it now.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

Wait is Scorpiana in the regular Batgirl book too?

Anyways the art looks amazing. Really amazed how DC is wiling to take risks with the art.

It really looks like Batman Eternal is trying to follow up to Morrison's run on Batman/Batman&Robin/Batman Inc.

Wonder if this really means Tomasi is bringing back Damien too.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Really dig the art. Don't mind that it's tonality isn't in sink with what we've gotten so far. Although, I'm not usually on board for so many artist changes (especially during the three issue arcs. I.E.: last arc.), but as long as the fill in artists are good (I.E.: last arc), I'm noticing I don't mind as much. Still hate artists changes in the middle of an issue, though.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Very cheesy, but I have to admit, this scene made me smile.

Whole issue was absurdly fantastic. More origin of Spoiler, demon Batman, Alfred being awesome, Scorpiana traumatising a bunch of Brazilian actors, El Guacho, Starfire piloting a spaceship, Catwoman going into boss mode...seriously, how mental can this series get?

Wow, that art is fantastic...

(Dammit, am I going to have to start buying Eternal?)

Astonishing Member

The art was great. I don't know how often we'll get such offbeat guest art, but he's more than welcome to come back. I thought it was kind of appropriate for an issue that focused so much on a sort of quick jaunt down to South America to have an offbeat style.

Scorpiana's horrifying nature didn't just survive the transition from more standard comic art to this style, she's freakier now than ever. Jason bopping in at the end was good because it meant Batgirl still got the crux of the scene - her competency gets to be what saved the guy, Jason just prevents the chase from going any further. Now, I actually didn't expect Gaucho. I know Jason knows Gaucho, so that made sense enough, but I was expecting "the expert" to be Batwoman, because Kate utterly demolished Scorpiana in their fight. But then, Jason doesn't really know Kate yet. They've never really encountered one another.

Seeley's interplay with Babs and Jason looks like it's going to be awesome. Actually, while she was a bit on a mission and a bit less analytic than usual, she read REALLY well here. The dynamic, cartoon art helped, but she felt a TON like B:TAS Batgirl. To date I don't think Seeley has missed a characterization.

SPOILER ALERT: The Stephanie Brown stuff was my favorite. Perfect way to do Cluemaster's origin. Took up very little space, got the point across quick.

The Catwoman stuff is intriguing, too. I mean I can't see much of a swerve on the whole "Falcone is her dad" concept. Not only do I feel like that's where it's going (I welcome a twist, but either way's fine) but I feel like it's about time it was explored further. Since the New 52 gave them the excuse to screw around with her, the Kyles become less intrinsic, that whole foster/adoption whatever addition, the relative badness of her solo title, I think going full bore into the Jeph Loeb teases (which Tony Daniel followed up on recently) might be the way to go.

What else? This issue was pretty packed. Alfred was good. His daughter probably didn't expect he'd be a hard-ass, since he's a butler of the rich and famous.

Are we back in "four issues setting up the next round" mode, or should the next two issues also be Tim Seeley scripts?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com