Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default AV Club Article - Marvel’s X-Men face their greatest challenge: Change or die

BANNED

Yeah, he lost any credibility the moment he started spewing the Marvel propaganda that the Avengers were in the right during AvX.

Good article. It will probably fly over some heads though.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Good article. It will probably fly over some heads though.
    It depends on their sponsors, if it's marvel comics someone already lost a job, but I don't think disney would care
    Last edited by somacula; 11-28-2015 at 03:19 PM.

The X-Men have been dead for a long time. Fickle fans that unscrupulously support writers who are clearly detrimental to the narrative's progression are to blame. Bendis being allowed ultimate creative clout and free-reign for about 3 years and nothing consequential coming of that move is a clear indicator of this existential malaise--actually it was the coffin's final nail.
    Their resurrection is contingent on the fanbase's ability to discern between crap and quality--which aren't actually the subjective markers that some are inclined to believe.

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMunroe View Post
    The X-Men have been dead for a long time. Fickle fans that unscrupulously support writers who are clearly detrimental to the narrative's progression are to blame. Bendis being allowed ultimate creative clout and free-reign for about 3 years and nothing consequential coming of that move is a clear indicator of this existential malaise--actually it was the coffin's final nail.
    Their resurrection is contingent on the fanbase's ability to discern between crap and quality--which aren't actually the subjective markers that some are inclined to believe.
    Hey look, I don't know what to tell you.

I stopped buying Uncanny as soon as I realized it wasn't going anywhere.
    Which took a while because I thought the pace was just Bendis being Bendis.

#notmyfault.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

The X-Men died after AvX (Schism could be the reason why too). Bendis had a chance to bring them back with a revolution, but that didn't happened. Well in the eyes of Bendis there was a revolution... Not in reality tho. Now that only 10-15 mutants are active (not talking about everyone in limbo) and the fact that the Inhumans are replacing the X-Men, it's fair to say that they are indeed dead... sadly.

BANNED

X-Men was great right after Schism, somewhere along AvsX is when it started to go sour.

Hell no, Schism and on onward, everything just went down the toilet. Jason Aarons WATXM is the worst thing to happen to the franchise. That shit was just unreadable. The only saving grace was Kieron Gillen.

Kinda hard to get that shot in the arm when Marvel doesn't allow for such.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

One of the (many) problem the X-Men face is that a bunch of fans are completely enamored with the most infantile / reductive version of the franchise.

Another problem is Marvel seems to thing putting a little bit of Inhuman glitter and confetti over a direction the franchise has already had in the past is enough to satiate the fans who want something less lowbrow. What made the X-Men what they are is the extreme care and attention to detail CC put into the work. Always pushing the envelope. You cannot write something as mediocre / generic as the first couple of issues of EXM and expect us to be enthusiastic. We've seen what a bad X-Men run looks like many times and the little we've seen of the current direction should be enough to raise many red flags.
    Last edited by Supernature; 11-28-2015 at 06:45 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Hell no, Schism and on onward, everything just went down the toilet. Jason Aarons WATXM is the worst thing to happen to the franchise. That shit was just unreadable. The only saving grace was Kieron Gillen.
    The first 10 issues of UXM and WATXM were decent. I mean, compared to the past 10 years. Diminished expectations and all.

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    X-Men was great right after Schism, somewhere along AvsX is when it started to go sour.
    AvX is what did them in.

The first 10 issues of UXM and WATXM were decent. I mean, compared to the past 10 years. Diminished expectations and all.
    I gotta agree with this. THe first 2 trades of WatXM and UXM were pretty fine on their own but then TWWNBN happened and the tie ins were not that bad but dear god, things went downhill afterwards.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Fantastic Member victor borkowski's Avatar

agreed. a d then downhill faster than a semi with no brakes.