Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default RUMOR: "Aquaman" Villain Revealed, Mera's Role Explained

The latest report claims "Aquaman's" main villain will not be Black Manta and delves into Mera's role in the film.

Full article here.

BANNED

So . . . Aquaman's evil brother is his nemesis and Mera is a badass. Not really anything there that most wouldn't have assumed to be the case in the first place.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    So . . . Aquaman's evil brother is his nemesis and Mera is a badass. Not really anything there that most wouldn't have assumed to be the case in the first place.
    So basically the same dynamic between Thor and Loki. Two brothers one good, the other evil. Every time I hear Game of Thrones referenced I want to barf.

Nice to see Mera get a big role. I wonder what ethnicity they're looking for for her since her red hair is pretty much the character's most defining visual characteristic.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Urgh. Can a single red-haired character keep their read hair? Is that too much to ask?
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by Redvector View Post
    Every time I hear Game of Thrones referenced I want to barf.
    Since his best-known role is Khal Drogo, it never won't happen, like with Mark Hamill and Star Wars.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Urgh. Can a single red-haired character keep their read hair? Is that too much to ask?
    Nope. Jean Grey.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Where did you get that from? You do realise that non-white people can have red hair too.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Redvector View Post
    So basically the same dynamic between Thor and Loki. Two brothers one good, the other evil. Every time I hear Game of Thrones referenced I want to barf.
    its an awesome show, I its not a bad thing for Aquaman borrows a few elements. Personally I hope the villain is Black Manta and not Orm, for the reason you mentioned.

This is why they should have had will smith play manta in suicide squad instead of deadshot

BANNED

Theres ways to do Orm without going for the jealous evil brother usurper role (Lion King) for example in the current continuity Orm willingly gave up the Throne cause of his love for Atlantean Law and his brother. Its not my movie but I think they should of started showing this and have something happen to where Orm believes Aquaman isnt the king Atlantis needs and have them as political enemies rather then enemies who want one or the other dead. Orm should come to this in later films and in earlier ones be a helpful aid to Arthur.

They could also play the destined brotherly feud role thats been brought up in the previous continuity and hinted at in the current one. That 2 brothers will always fight for the throne and be locked in a eternal battle. To hint at this theme early on id make Atlan The Dead King the first enemy for Aquaman showing both his story with his brother Orin and also giving info on Atlantis.

About Mera im a bit disappointed, one of my biggest fears was that with the constant mentioning of Polynesian culture by Momoa that instead of doing the safe thing and making his father the race change that it would effect all the Atlantean characters in general. Im hoping this is not the case cause I see no reason why Mera should have to be changed especially since she's another form of Atlantean all together.

So...another character's ethnicity will be changed for no reason?

Why do they keep doing this?

Astonishing Member

agreed. i couldnt care less about the ethnicity but i couldnt stand the fact that they have different hair color

Spectacular Member

I'm very open about different ethnicitys for old characters, not crazy about it but I have no problem with either....

but I hate the idea of Mera specifically not being a white red headed woman. Like If Aquaman was black I wouldn't really care, but this thing with Mera really bothers me bad.

Yes! Couldn't care less about Aquaman or Ocean Master, but I am so glad to hear that Mera will have a large role in this. If they keep her close to the comic version than she will easily steal the show and be very memorable. Kinda sucks that this film isn't centered on her instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Nice to see Mera get a big role. I wonder what ethnicity they're looking for for her since her red hair is pretty much the character's most defining visual characteristic.
    Just like the role of Carol Danvers, Charlize Theron was born to play the role of Mera.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!