Default Official/Appreciation Threads

One of the new rules is:
    NO “OFFICIAL”, “DISCUSSION”, OR “THREAD” IN THREAD TITLES

Users do not make threads official, it's obvious we're all here to discuss things, and we all know what threads are. Let’s keep redundancies and information we already know out of thread titles.
    which is fine by me - but it seems a little odd that on the boards I've looked at so far, something like 50% of them are "****** Apreciation Thread".

Has that rule been added after (or in response to) these threads or are the rules already being completely ignored?

I was just about to make the same topic before I noticed this one.

What's the deal here?

Astonishing Member

I put Thread by mistake out of habit in one I did. Sorry 'bout that.

I have no problem with Appreciation threads. I think it gives fans of a certain character a specific place to talk about them in general. Like others have said, once the forum is repopulated with enough posts, those threads will blend in and not stand out as much as they may right now. Hopefully, the existing threads aren't deleted under the new rule, but the "Thread" is just removed from the title., i.e. "Catwoman Appreciation" instead of "The Catwoman Appreciation Thread."
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Astonishing Member

Might be missing something but it looks like my one for Spider-Man is the only one which has been locked. It was an honest booboo.

It's something that we're talking about. There was an explosion of appreciation threads as soon as the board opens, and a lot of people clearly didn't read that deeply into the rules. We haven't figured out how we want to deal with them, yet.

A lot of them are also falling pretty well short of the "put some thought and effort into it" rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I put Thread by mistake out of habit in one I did. Sorry 'bout that.
    I did the same thing as well. Sometimes old habits die hard!

Spectacular Member Puppetmaker Grae's Avatar

Ah, sorry. I confess I'd skimmed through the rules quite quickly before restarting the All-purpose news and politics thread. Deliberate flouting was not intended and I was not too pleased with myself when I went back for a closer look.

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    It's something that we're talking about. There was an explosion of appreciation threads as soon as the board opens, and a lot of people clearly didn't read that deeply into the rules. We haven't figured out how we want to deal with them, yet.

A lot of them are also falling pretty well short of the "put some thought and effort into it" rule.
    Cool. I quite like the subforum suggestion from the other thread about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post

It may have been it was felt those were "safer" threads to start in this new world, and as somebody pointed out (somewhere), after a while, they'll blend in better when there are more varied and specific threads created as time goes on.

So maybe they'll be okay if enough people use them to express more general thoughts about some of their favorite characters?

The trouble with appreciation threads is any actual interesting discussion gets instantly buried under people saying "OMG I love that character" over and over again.

It's also very intimidating for new users (which I thought was one of the points of the forum restart).

I'm all for people posting what interests them, but it turns the boards from places of discussion into rabid fandom domiciles.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I have said this before, but at least in the appreciation threads I have been in, there is always some kinda interesting discussion going on (at least when there is new stuff for the character) and I always try to put info out there, make it seem like a place to go to talk about the character and to ask questions/get help on info. There is fan art post sometimes, mostly on the down time. Maybe make a rule about the amount of fan art per thread or something haha.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

It is such an old habit to put, "thread" in a title. I have already done it once today.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.