Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Wonder Woman" Set Photos Confirm World War I Setting

New leaked set photos of Gal Gadot and Chris Pine confirm long-swirling rumors that at least part of the Warner Bros. film takes place during World War I.

Full article here.

I think this was already hinted at earlier this year. I got no problem with it. I think it nicely reflects the early Wonder Woman comics, taking place during the early 20th century. It's also a time period where Wonder Woman has more to overcome in terms of being a female hero. This is a time period that was long before any feminist movement and I think having to deal with that brings out the best in her.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Boisterously Confused

but WWI? That feels kind of random.

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    but WWI? That feels kind of random.
    Not really. World War I was known as "the war to end all wars," and was the first human made global catastrophe and conflagration.
    It kinda makes sense that Ares triggered it, and Diana was sent to foil his plans.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

So I guess this means Wonder Woman is the first hero in the DC movieverse similar to Diana being the First Wonder in The New 52's EARTH-2?

Astonishing Member

Why not just go with the war in which she historically debuted?! Change for changes sake is stupid.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Why not just go with the war in which she historically debuted?! Change for changes sake is stupid.
    What makes you think it's just change for change? They might have plot based reasons for the change. It is possible DC/WB puts some thought into things.

She's been retconned out of WWII in the 80s and this time they're putting her in the war that led to WWII and one that isn't done to death in Indiana Jones and Captain America and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    So I guess this means Wonder Woman is the first hero in the DC movieverse similar to Diana being the First Wonder in The New 52's EARTH-2?
    I think on Young Justice the producers had said they're intent was to their Wonder Woman had been active a long time too. I like it.

BANNED

Because the First World War isn't used as a setting as much? Because why not have her show up for the Great War if you're just going to put her back in time?

BANNED

Yeah, because everyone knows that WWII is so much cooler and more popular than WWI. WWI is so last century.

Incredible Member Miraclo__Pill's Avatar

Let's play rational and say we still don't have a clue about the plot. Count me as one of those very interested in the reasons WWI is used as the setting, since the war to end all wars is one of the most horrible conflicts to ever grace our human history. What better place for Wonder Woman to try to do some good?
    Last edited by Miraclo__Pill; 11-30-2015 at 08:57 AM.
    http://grafikarobotnik.tumblr.com/

I survived the 2014 reboot and I didn't even got a lousy t-shirt.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miraclo__Pills View Post
    Let's play rational and say we still don't have a clue about the plot. Count me as one of those very interested in the reasons WWI is used as the setting, since the war to end all wars is one of the most horrible conflicts to ever grace our human history. What better place for Wonder Woman to try to do some good?
    Quite right. I'm very intrigued by this also.

This is a textbook example of someone finding ANYTHING to complain about.

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

Kinda makes sense that the Amazons would take notice of the first World War as opposed to sitting back and waiting for a second World War.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miraclo__Pills View Post
    Particularly since WWI isn't the cut and dried good vs. absolute evil that WWII was. I mean, seriously....would there be any question that the Amazons (ANY version of Amazons) would step in against Nazis?

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

The comics accurate side of me wants to kill someone for all the pointless changes I know this movie is goign to make. The history nerd in me who loves period pieces is very, very excited for this. Hopefully, the second part will get what it wants.
    Cyclops was right

We've been getting these comic adaptations for a decade or more and people are still shocked/confused/dismayed/upset about the changes they make? Really??

No CBM has been 100% faithful to the source material so complaining about this is a bit like complaining about water being wet yet still swimming.