Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What sorta of new concepts would you add to Peter Parker's personality

Besides the "Oh woe is me" and "Romantics screw up" things he's shows concstantly(to add to that no marriage aspects period). I for one would add a desire to improve his fighting style because Spidey could explore the "Way of the Spider" like he has and in a sense as a nerd he'd would want to stand up for himself more if Spider sense doesn't always save him in physical combat. I'd like to explore his insight of thinking how Spider-Man could really help the world instead of just the streets of new york and how to make it possible(you know give Peter actual dream to persue for not only his self but to everyone who like him went through the ropes of life and needed hope to live on).

-PS: Seriously please no marriage responses, because I know thats what some of you are gonna say.
    Last edited by jimishim12; 11-30-2015 at 03:21 PM.

Peter Parker seems like a busy guy, so he would likely have a lot of pop culture blind spots. He shouldn't be the guy referencing whatever is popular in the media.

He's also been a superhero for about ten years, so it might be interesting to have him be kinda jaded.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I want Peter to be more serious. Less flaky and more sturdiness to being Peter Parker. His Spider-Man life is all well and good but Peter can be annoying. The dude's gone through so much, I want that to be reflected more, and not just flashbacks to add angst to the story. I want it more ingrained to the character. I get Ben and Gwen died but there are so many times we need to be reminded with whole page dedicated to it. I want his character to reflect that, not through some passing thought that takes up an entire page. I'm not saying he has to go all Batman but Peter is a character that speaks for himself but lacks depth in certain respects that would deepen the character.

Also I find Spider-Man adventures more interesting than his lunch dates with Aunt May and interacting with Harry. Harry is only interesting when he screws up, otherwise he's just prop device that I see no reason why Peter would like him in the first place. His a complete a-hole and a crappy friend to Peter through the years so I don't know Peter let's him hang around.

I want Peter to have supporting cast that I actually care about because his personal life to me is really shallow. I don't care what characters but he needs a solid foundation that doesn't get erased with every new status quo Marvel churns out. This doesn't include Aunt May. She can stay wherever she is.

I want less Shield involvement. I want Spider-Man to stand on his own two feet. Less team ups, but I wouldn't be adverse to team ups that involved different motivations.

I want to say Peter to be a little more Daredevil in his approach, but nothing to extreme Matt-like. I want Peter to be a little more street. His interactions with Luke Cage and Jessica Jones have always been joy and I think it would fit more into that crowd than say popping bottles with Tony Stark.

If it were up to me, I'd allow for more dislike of Spidey amongst his fellow heroes. A lot of them should find him completely irritating, just as his villains do. Among other things, it would help to provide an in-story reason for his solo adventures as well as allow for Spidey to be undervalued by other big-name heroes.

Also, I kind of wish Peter was kind of an emotional jerk at times, like in his original appearances. It was one of the things I enjoyed about Superior Spider-Ock taking over for/as Peter.

-Pav, who has ruminated greatly on how our world's opinions of Spidey have changed Spidey's world's opinions of him...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

I think A nice detail if he gave too much money to charity, so much so that it was difficult for him to make ends meet. It would make sense given The great power/ great responsibility thing. That way he could make decent money at times but always still be in financial trouble.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    If it were up to me, I'd allow for more dislike of Spidey amongst his fellow heroes. A lot of them should find him completely irritating, just as his villains do. Among other things, it would help to provide an in-story reason for his solo adventures as well as allow for Spidey to be undervalued by other big-name heroes.

Also, I kind of wish Peter was kind of an emotional jerk at times, like in his original appearances. It was one of the things I enjoyed about Superior Spider-Ock taking over for/as Peter.

-Pav, who has ruminated greatly on how our world's opinions of Spidey have changed Spidey's world's opinions of him...
    I like those ideas, generally. I'd add that at least some of Spider-Man's fellow heroes dislike him for slightly more complicated reasons than just not liking his incessant quips, namely that he makes them look bad. They've at least got positive publicity and good working relationships with the government and law enforcement to smooth things over for them, while this guy goes out and does what he does despite being constantly bashed and slandered in the press and recurrently hunted down by law enforcement or other authorities, with no expectation of gratitude or reward. Basically, they look at him and ask themselves, "Would I still be willing to do this if everyone in the press, the government, and law enforcement was constantly on my back making me out to be or treating me like I was a criminal?" They don't really like what that might imply about themselves or the true nature or motivation behind their heroics, so they shun Spider-Man for making them feel inadequate, not that they'll ever tell him that to his masked face.

As for him being more of an emotional jerk like in his earlier appearances, those earlier appearances were generally at the point that he was still an angry adolescent with a bone to pick with the entire world around him and how it treated him and the ability to act on that anger. The reason he isn't like that so much these days is that, quite frankly, he matured quite a bit and learned to channel that anger more constructively as opposed to just lashing out at people, no matter how justified. I think the closest we could get to that with him as an adult is not so much being a jerk as just being more willing to stand up for himself and not be a doormat or a punching bag, not even to people he likes or loves or respects.

To respond to RedQueen's post with Peter being a little more Daredevil in his crime-fighting approach, I'd mention that Spider-Man is already naturally terrifying to people because of his spider motif and spiderlike movements suggesting unnatural flexibility and agility. The quipping shouldn't so much make criminals feel more at ease or angry with him as even more terrified of him because he's shooting web and darting and skittering around while making jokes as though he's a talking spider toying with his prey before he inevitably wraps them up in cocoons and has them for breakfast/lunch/dinner. I'd also say, though, that Peter would never be at home popping bottles with Tony Stark, because that's just not the kind of person he is; I could see Tony taking him out to parties to try to welcome him into the unofficial Genius Billionaire Philanthropist Superheroes Club, but he'd be uncomfortable throughout the entire scene because he'd rather be in his lab devising tech and ideas to help make a bigger difference in the world as himself or as Spider-Man or hanging out at home with his closest friends or the woman he loves (who shall remain nameless out of respect to everyone's individual preferred pairings for him).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
    I want Peter to be more serious. Less flaky and more sturdiness to being Peter Parker. His Spider-Man life is all well and good but Peter can be annoying. The dude's gone through so much, I want that to be reflected more, and not just flashbacks to add angst to the story. I want it more ingrained to the character. I get Ben and Gwen died but there are so many times we need to be reminded with whole page dedicated to it. I want his character to reflect that, not through some passing thought that takes up an entire page. I'm not saying he has to go all Batman but Peter is a character that speaks for himself but lacks depth in certain respects that would deepen the character.

Also I find Spider-Man adventures more interesting than his lunch dates with Aunt May and interacting with Harry. Harry is only interesting when he screws up, otherwise he's just prop device that I see no reason why Peter would like him in the first place. His a complete a-hole and a crappy friend to Peter through the years so I don't know Peter let's him hang around.

I want Peter to have supporting cast that I actually care about because his personal life to me is really shallow. I don't care what characters but he needs a solid foundation that doesn't get erased with every new status quo Marvel churns out. This doesn't include Aunt May. She can stay wherever she is.

I want less Shield involvement. I want Spider-Man to stand on his own two feet. Less team ups, but I wouldn't be adverse to team ups that involved different motivations.

I want to say Peter to be a little more Daredevil in his approach, but nothing to extreme Matt-like. I want Peter to be a little more street. His interactions with Luke Cage and Jessica Jones have always been joy and I think it would fit more into that crowd than say popping bottles with Tony Stark.
    On the contrary, it's the opposite for me, Peter should start being more relaxed and fun filled with being Spider-Man again and Peter Parker, instead of the stressed to depression blue collar type that treats every single moment as a deadline to the boss, and be more positive.

Peter can be serious about his commits and his personal responsibilites but not always, he should enjoy and allow himself to be forward with his work and have a upbeat outlook on his superhero duties especially as a scientist and ceo.

Simply put a light hearted, sensible non meta aware but savvier deadpool.

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    On the contrary, it's the opposite for me, Peter should start being more relaxed and fun filled with being Spider-Man again and Peter Parker, instead of the stressed to depression blue collar type that treats every single moment as a deadline to the boss, and be more positive.

Peter can be serious about his commits and his personal responsibilites but not always, he should enjoy and allow himself to be forward with his work and have a upbeat outlook on his superhero duties especially as a scientist and ceo.

Simply put a light hearted, sensible non meta aware but savvier deadpool.
    I agree with you. But I don't mean like serious Batman serious. But more like he can handle both of his lives better. His humor should always be a part of him but it's his "Parker Luck" that he always blames his problems on that needs to be eradicated immediately because it it undermines the "responsibilities" dogma he always waxes poetic about.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
    I agree with you. But I don't mean like serious Batman serious. But more like he can handle both of his lives better. His humor should always be a part of him but it's his "Parker Luck" that he always blames his problems on that needs to be eradicated immediately because it it undermines the "responsibilities" dogma he always waxes poetic about.
    Well isn't it a bit shortsighted of himself to put himself in everything he doesn't really have anything to do with.

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Well isn't it a bit shortsighted of himself to put himself in everything he doesn't really have anything to do with.
    Never said that??? I just mean he has his own responsibilities as Peter Parker. The fact that he can barely maintain friendships let alone romances kind of make his personal life always the same and has been done over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I like those ideas, generally. I'd add that at least some of Spider-Man's fellow heroes dislike him for slightly more complicated reasons than just not liking his incessant quips, namely that he makes them look bad. They've at least got positive publicity and good working relationships with the government and law enforcement to smooth things over for them, while this guy goes out and does what he does despite being constantly bashed and slandered in the press and recurrently hunted down by law enforcement or other authorities, with no expectation of gratitude or reward. Basically, they look at him and ask themselves, "Would I still be willing to do this if everyone in the press, the government, and law enforcement was constantly on my back making me out to be or treating me like I was a criminal?" They don't really like what that might imply about themselves or the true nature or motivation behind their heroics, so they shun Spider-Man for making them feel inadequate, not that they'll ever tell him that to his masked face.
    I think Jameson has admitted, at least once, to this being the true reason for his hatred of Spider-Man.

I'd love to see Peter develop a love for watching crappy movies. Not in a snooty way, or in a elitist way. Basically, he'll watch a crappy movie and really love it and geek out about it.

Yes, that's basically me
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I'd love to see Peter develop a love for watching crappy movies. Not in a snooty way, or in a elitist way. Basically, he'll watch a crappy movie and really love it and geek out about it.

Yes, that's basically me
    I'd kill for a scene where he watches a The Amazing Spider-Man type fictional imagining of Spidey's life, where Spider-Man is always brooding over his father and Spider-Man's father puts his DNA in a spider that can give its powers only to his son... or some such. It would be hilarious for Peter to go, "WHAAAA?? They are soo off base here!"

One new thing I'd like to see added to his personality would be a Boss Man personality. I know that sounds weird. But Peter is in a whole new realm right now. He owns his own company which is doing very well but Peter doesn't strike me as the shrewd or strong business type. He's kinda like the nice guy of the business world so I would kinda like to see him struggling with that nice guy role when let's say a true cut throat businessman tries to take Parker Industries down or stage a hostile takeover or something.

Roxxon, Alchemax or I don't know some other company tries to swoop in and out maneuver Peter and he can't out maneuver them back without having to get mean or tough or lenient with Business ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I'd kill for a scene where he watches a The Amazing Spider-Man type fictional imagining of Spidey's life, where Spider-Man is always brooding over his father and Spider-Man's father puts his DNA in a spider that can give its powers only to his son... or some such. It would be hilarious for Peter to go, "WHAAAA?? They are soo off base here!"
    WHOA. That's meta It'd probably have to be called "The Fabulous Bug-Man" or something...

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    One new thing I'd like to see added to his personality would be a Boss Man personality. I know that sounds weird. But Peter is in a whole new realm right now. He owns his own company which is doing very well but Peter doesn't strike me as the shrewd or strong business type. He's kinda like the nice guy of the business world so I would kinda like to see him struggling with that nice guy role when let's say a true cut throat businessman tries to take Parker Industries down or stage a hostile takeover or something.

Roxxon, Alchemax or I don't know some other company tries to swoop in and out maneuver Peter and he can't out maneuver them back without having to get mean or tough or lenient with Business ethics.
    That'd be cool. Or he'd have to find people to surround himself with that are more businessmen or cut-throat types to help guide his new venture and see how that changes him.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/