Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    So I was curious about the House of Cards budget and went looking into it. It's 100 million over two seasons, or 26 episodes. It started at 4 million an episode, then kept going up from there. Similar to why the Syfy channel cancelled Farscape, it seems.
    Kevin Spacey don't come cheap.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Kevin Spacey don't come cheap.
    Most of the cost goes towards his Southern accent.

BANNED

Kinda wish Spacey had shown up on Farscape now.

BANNED

What the hell is this notion that Spidey is a grounded street level character, he is not. He's a "Jack of All trades" Superhero like The Flash, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Batman(Batman's universe is more grounded than Spidey's and yet he's always taking shots in other formulas). Like someone said, Spidey is to expensive and way too spread out in his media, he's grounded and one point then he's in different locations in the world by himself(not just the current run but his 60s tv series, team ups, and the video game in 2001), then theres the mystic spider stuff with madame web, the morlun, and etc, theres his clones, his future adventures and literally tons of superheroes in his series. Spidey has outlandish movements imbossible to perform in real life and thus cost a fortune to animate and scope, he has anime type speed and agility sometimes, and his cast consists of mutated criminals who can fight as crazy as Peter can. And IMO it would bore people if most of his cast who are powerless in comparison to him got a big amount of focus when peter is in action or being in the spotlight, since all they can do is hide, run away or get saved. ANd yes I don't want PIS bs like the bad guy gets knocked clean by MJ or Aunt May and saves Spidey's life, their freakin normal people in a situation where super human freaks of nature and empowered beyond any human limit.

It would work for Black Cat or Cloak and Dagger maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    What the hell is this notion that Spidey is a grounded street level character, he is not. He's a "Jack of All trades" Superhero like The Flash, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Batman(Batman's universe is more grounded than Spidey's and yet he's always taking shots in other formulas). Like someone said, Spidey is to expensive and way too spread out in his media, he's grounded and one point then he's in different locations in the world by himself(not just the current run but his 60s tv series, team ups, and the video game in 2001), then theres the mystic spider stuff with madame web, the morlun, and etc, theres his clones, his future adventures and literally tons of superheroes in his series. Spidey has outlandish movements imbossible to perform in real life and thus cost a fortune to animate and scope, he has anime type speed and agility sometimes, and his cast consists of mutated criminals who can fight as crazy as Peter can. And IMO it would bore people if most of his cast who are powerless in comparison to him got a big amount of focus when peter is in action or being in the spotlight, since all they can do is hide, run away or get saved. ANd yes I don't want PIS bs like the bad guy gets knocked clean by MJ or Aunt May and saves Spidey's life, their freakin normal people in a situation where super human freaks of nature and empowered beyond any human limit.

It would work for Black Cat or Cloak and Dagger maybe.
    "PIS." I don't think you understand what it means.

MJ beating The Chameleon with a baseball bat was freaking awesome. That's not "PIS."

The way Spider-Man beat Firelord is PIS.

The way Spider-Man beat the Juggernaut was not PIS.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Yeah, I actually think it's possible to do a good Spider-man series on TV these days - and Netflix as well.

Mainly because both Flash and SUPERGIRL in particular, are series with a decent sized cast and tons and tons and tons of effects - effects-work has come so far that what used to cost millions 15 years ago, only costs a few thousand these days.

And I think that's the part that people aren't aware of. The advancement of technology.

With a more toned-down feel than the movies, and a budget of say, 30 million per episode, then this show would be absolute friggin dynamite!

EDIT: Btw, do we know what budget Flash or Supergirl has per episode these days? Cause I actually think they're doing a great job - Grodd and King Shark look really great, imho!

Supergirl is probably the most expensive of the TV Superhero shows. But DC isn't afraid to make that show with "SUPERGIRL"! Whom isn't even in their top 5 in terms of sales. Does anyone think that Marvel wouldn't fork over the doe for Spider-Man which is their BIGGEST seller by a large margin?

So again, I think Spider-Man being "too expensive" is something that just wouldn't be an issue. Mainly because it's Spider-Man and it as a series would break some Netflix records. Like I said, the show existing as well as the movies makes it even bigger. Spider-Man as a Netflix show would likely make about double or triple it's budget back. So I wouldn't worry too much about that in the least.

It's not like they'd suffer a loss, a well done Netflix Spider-Man show? It would be their biggest money maker. They can afford an extra 2 million per episode in that scenario.
    Last edited by Majesty; 12-01-2015 at 11:05 PM.

I would enjoy a Spider-Man netflix series but not live action because the the CGI for that would be super expensive to make it believable, not only for Spidey but his colorful enemies.

If anything I would want an Animated Spider-Man Netflix series geared towards adults, unlike ultimate Spider-man. The series could explore alot of the mature themes of Spider-Man like death of Gwen Stacy or something. You could show the Avengers without having to pay big money for a cameo. And they could get the voices of Charlie Cox (Daredevil), Krysten Ritter (Jessica Jones) and Mike Colter (Luke Cage) for fairley cheap as well. I would think.

And Neil Patrick Harris should voice Spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    I would enjoy a Spider-Man netflix series but not live action because the the CGI for that would be super expensive to make it believable, not only for Spidey but his colorful enemies.

If anything I would want an Animated Spider-Man Netflix series geared towards adults, unlike ultimate Spider-man. The series could explore alot of the mature themes of Spider-Man like death of Gwen Stacy or something. You could show the Avengers without having to pay big money for a cameo. And they could get the voices of Charlie Cox (Daredevil), Krysten Ritter (Jessica Jones) and Mike Colter (Luke Cage) for fairley cheap as well. I would think.

Let's breakdown some of his villains

1) Mysterio
    2) Hobgoblin
    3) The Lizard
    4) The Chameleon
    5) The Scorpion
    6) Vulture
    7) Sandman
    8) Electro
    9) Rhino
    10) Shocker
    11) Morbius
    12) CARNAGE
    13) KINGPIN
    14) Tombstone

Only the Lizard, Carnage and Sandman would a lot of CGI.

The rest could be pulled off with great makeup effects.

as far as abilities Electro's electricity wouldn't something that would need a gigantic budget to make look real. The Scorpion shooting acid can be a practical effects. Morbius could be done with great makeup and wires,

Yeah ... big time CGI really wouldn't be needed for too many of these villains. Maybe Mysterio, yeah Mysterio could, but then again with the imaginary effects and stuff like that, it could just be practical effects that you add a fade too when it's realized that they aren't real. So again.. not too big on the budget. Villains like the Lizard, Carnage and Venom would need the special effects CGI.

And even then.. practical "Lizard" can be done with GREAT makeup and some CGi thrown in to make it look a bit better. We've seen it done before and we can again, if the Flash can pull off Grodd like this on their cheap budget of about 1.5 millionish an episode then I don't think Spider-Man on a 3-5 million budget per episode would do an 'unbelievable' Lizard.

They couldn't even do a good Lizard on a $200+ million budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Let's breakdown some of his villains

1) Mysterio
    2) Hobgoblin
    3) The Lizard
    4) The Chameleon
    5) The Scorpion
    6) Vulture
    7) Sandman
    8) Electro
    9) Rhino
    10) Shocker
    11) Morbius
    12) CARNAGE
    13) KINGPIN
    14) Tombstone
    The only ones that don't require any CGI are Kingpin, Morbius, Tombstone, Rhino and the Chameleon. I would add Kraven to this list.
    For the rest you range from some basic CGI (Shocker, Electro, Scorpion) to something in the middle (Mysterio can be good without CGI but it can be better with it) to ones that require a lot of it (Hobgoblin, Sandman, Carnage, Lizard, the Vulture). Plus Venom, Goblin and Doc Ock.

Clearly a tv series in this day and age wouldn't be a monster-of-the-week situation, especially on Netflix, so not all of these character would appear in a season. However the costs are still pretty high just to show one enemy. Doing a battle between Spider-Man and the Vulture (for instance) would be enormously expensive for a tv series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post

Mature and Adults shouldn't be words used so loosely when reguarding "Spider-Man", Spidey's does dark elements sometimes but Spidey is a family friendly/all ages superhero franchise. It's not like it's Game of Thrones or anything.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

No.

Anya Sofia Corazon should as Spider-Girl.

Recognizable name, allows her to have a stronger media presence and her high-school drama can be appealing.

Let Spider-Man have the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Supergirl is probably the most expensive of the TV Superhero shows. But DC isn't afraid to make that show with "SUPERGIRL"! Whom isn't even in their top 5 in terms of sales. Does anyone think that Marvel wouldn't fork over the doe for Spider-Man which is their BIGGEST seller by a large margin?

So again, I think Spider-Man being "too expensive" is something that just wouldn't be an issue. Mainly because it's Spider-Man and it as a series would break some Netflix records. Like I said, the show existing as well as the movies makes it even bigger. Spider-Man as a Netflix show would likely make about double or triple it's budget back. So I wouldn't worry too much about that in the least.

It's not like they'd suffer a loss, a well done Netflix Spider-Man show? It would be their biggest money maker. They can afford an extra 2 million per episode in that scenario.
    Why are you assuming the difference would only be two million dollars an episode?

Yeah, I actually think it's possible to do a good Spider-man series on TV these days - and Netflix as well.

Mainly because both Flash and SUPERGIRL in particular, are series with a decent sized cast and tons and tons and tons of effects - effects-work has come so far that what used to cost millions 15 years ago, only costs a few thousand these days.

And I think that's the part that people aren't aware of. The advancement of technology.

With a more toned-down feel than the movies, and a budget of say, 30 million per episode, then this show would be absolute friggin dynamite!

EDIT: Btw, do we know what budget Flash or Supergirl has per episode these days? Cause I actually think they're doing a great job - Grodd and King Shark look really great, imho!
    A quick point of King Shark. His appearance was limited to 30 seconds to keep the cgi manageable.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/397...ng-shark-cameo
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

30 million?!

Nobody gets that kind of cash on a per-episode basis. Even Game of Thrones only gets about 6 per episode.

I think than everybody here is missing something. The problem with a Spidey series on Netflix isn't a problem of budget or if he is a street level character or not.
    It's a problem of focus demographic.
    Right now Spider-man is beign pushed as a teenager character meanwhile the Netflix series are more grounded and adult oriented. The netflix series are exploring the darker, psychological corners of the Marvel universe, something than the movies are less inclined to do, going more for the action adventure side. A teenage Spider-man is a better option for the movies than the tv series.
    The better, most psycological stories of Spider-man didn't happened with the high school spidey, but with the college/young adult Spider-man. And the MCU Spider-man seems like will be a high school teenager for at least three movies.
    An adult Spider-Man would be an interesting option for the Netflix series but that wouldn't happen soon. Neither Sony or Disney had show more interest in an adult Spider-Man.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin