Default Man Without Fear or Mark Waid's Daredevil

Hello All,

My Girlfriend is trying to get into comics and she fell in love with Daredevil based on the show. But it's not just the darkness of the show, but the whole idea of the character and his world. So, I'm kind of between two right now. The first one is The Man Without Fear by Frank Miller and the second is Mark Waid's first trade.

I like that Man Without Fear is an origin story but I'm worried that Frank Miller's Frank Miller-isms will turn her off. I love his earlier work, but he did start to become unhinged later and I know Man Without Fear is kind of later. And I think the tone of the Mark Waid Daredevil will be ideal. The one concern is that it's an in-continuity story, where knowledge of the character would be beneficial.

But yeah, let me know! Thanks guys!

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Hello All,

My Girlfriend is trying to get into comics and she fell in love with Daredevil based on the show. But it's not just the darkness of the show, but the whole idea of the character and his world. So, I'm kind of between two right now. The first one is The Man Without Fear by Frank Miller and the second is Mark Waid's first trade.

I like that Man Without Fear is an origin story but I'm worried that Frank Miller's Frank Miller-isms will turn her off. I love his earlier work, but he did start to become unhinged later and I know Man Without Fear is kind of later. And I think the tone of the Mark Waid Daredevil will be ideal. The one concern is that it's an in-continuity story, where knowledge of the character would be beneficial.

But yeah, let me know! Thanks guys!
    I found Waid's Daredevil lighter in tone. More humor. Reminiscent of the pre-Miller DD. Bendis and Brubaker brought an even grittier, noirish, darker urban tone to DD's character and world. Personally, that's the tone I prefer. Charles Soule's DD will reestablish that gritty tone to some degree.
    Last edited by Old Man Ollie 1962; 11-30-2015 at 07:45 PM.

BANNED

Comics] Daredevil_ Yellow Descargar Gratis.jpg

She should start with this. This was my gateway into the character and the writer. Hopefully it'll be the same her.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Man Without Fear! It's heroic! It's sexy! It's funny! It's got energy up the wazoo and it can find your wazoo and put energy up there, too!
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Waid's comics are mostly extremely good, but it's a much different vibe for the most part. Think Batman TAS to the Nolan films.

I'd say a third option: Born Again. Its grit is a lot more elegant than what's found in MWF, which is a bit Miller-y. I'd then suggest Devil in Cell Block D, if continuity isn't to aggravating.